My Morning Car Ride - NPR Interview

Started by cmccubbin@work, Mar 13, 2008, 11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmccubbin@work

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2008/03/my_morning_car_ride.html

My Morning Car Ride
by Bob Boilen

I spent much of the day before our live concert webcast talking with some of the bands we'll be featuring. As soon as I pull it all together you'll be able to hear from:

AA Bondy
Papercranes
Summerbirds in the Cellar
Johnathan Rice
Yo La Tengo

...then I was interviewed by the San Jose Mercury News about NPR's new music site.

Then it was on to the Omni Hotel for a talk with Jim James of My Morning Jacket. I wanted to hear their new CD Evil Urges before the interview. I felt it would be wrong not to hear what he was singing and writing about these days.

Over the past few weeks I was repeatedly told that getting a copy probably wasn't going to happen. They were being very protective. Then, two hours before the interview, our incredibly hard-working partner Chris Mooney got a call from MMJ management, saying we could hear the album... but we needed to find a stereo in a private location where there wouldn't be the risk of anyone else hearing it.

Hmmm, how about a car?

An hour later a borrowed Lincoln Continental pulls in front of the Omni Hotel in Austin. The band's manager Mike was behind the wheel. He gave me a giant smile and took me for a ride.

The album kicks! Houses of the Holy was my first thought, but then the album shifted to other sounds ... R&B, great country music, but mostly just fantastic playing, incredible drumming, well thought-out harmonies... all music with great intent and confidence. I was in love.

By nature, the idea of listening to a record with someone sitting next to me waiting for reaction is something I abhor and something I've never done. I mean how can you say you don't like it with someone totally involved in it sitting right next to you? But I did go for the ride, and my thoughts here are honest and heartfelt.

Evil Urges, the new CD that comes out in June from My Morning Jacket is going to be one of the best records of the year and the best music Jim James and friends has ever made.

After the drive I sat down and had a conversation with Jim. Give a listen and enjoy the concert.

-------------------------------------------

So where is this interview he speaks of?
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

pawpaw

"...R&B, great country music, but mostly just fantastic playing, incredible drumming, well thought-out harmonies... all music with great intent and confidence. I was in love."

:) I'm lovin' all the new, positive press. Damn I'm excited for this one.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

LEATHER KID

I know it's gonna be worth the wait but I'm REALLY starting to get pissed off.  I want Evil Urges in my hands right now!
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

TheKnoxvilleBear

Over the last week or so, we as jacket fans have seen alot and heard alot for the upcoming record. I think its crazy how there are already videos of Evil Urges from their show on the 10th. After reading this article, I think as Jacket fans that we should all wait for June 10th to come to hear the complete record, and not "tease" ourselves by getting a sneak peak of what is supposed to be the bands best album (according to the article above).  I have a feeling there will be a single released sometime soon just like Off the record was released before Z's release. I know its been a while since weve heard from  the boys, but for their respect, let safe the anticipation for June 10 aka Christmas in June for MMJ fans.

PS....are there any albums out right now that you guys are listening to that wont leave your car cd player because they're simply amazing. i need one of those right now. any suggestions?

Jon T.

If they release a single soon, would that not be considered a "tease" or a "sneak peak".   And, if they didn't want anyone to hear the new songs they wouldn't be playing them live where they condone taping.  I'm not trying to start shit, it just seems a little presumptuous for you to make the decision that fans shouldn't watch the clips.  Personally, I will wait because I prefer to hear a studio version of a song before I hear a live version not because I'm a better fan than someone else that does watch.

The DARK

PS....are there any albums out right now that you guys are listening to that wont leave your car cd player because they're simply amazing. i need one of those right now. any suggestions?

Okkervil River- The Stage Names will tide you over.  ;)
In another time, in another place, in another face

easy jim

sounds like they want to keep it under wraps [smiley=lipsrsealed.gif]
So soon after payday, know it seemed a shame!

getinthevan

Has anyone found where to listen to that interview at?
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

theonlyone

BH

They played it right before the webcast last night.  I'll bet Kory captured it but I'm not sure if it will be on his download or not.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ive got an EVIL plan babe

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88163634

It's here.  The entire sxsw show is on this page as well.  However, the interview and show are separate links.
Just cause it starts off slow babe, doesn't mean I  don't have evil urges.

TheKnoxvilleBear

Jon T...im not saying do your best not to listen to their new songs before they release it....all im saying is dont make your first impressions of their album based on some shitty clip on youtube.

ms. yvon

QuoteAn hour later a borrowed Lincoln Continental pulls in front of the Omni Hotel in Austin. The band's manager Mike was behind the wheel. He gave me a giant smile and took me for a ride.
nice choice of car!
QuoteThe album kicks! ...all music with great intent and confidence. I was in love.
:D
QuoteEvil Urges...is going to be...the best music Jim James and friends has ever made.
man oh man.  these two comments are lovely!

at the end of the npr webcast of that sxsw show, the female commentator remarked that bob looked as if he'd gone through something and been changed...that he was wearing his "post mmj face."  
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."

buymycar

at the end of the npr webcast of that sxsw show, the female commentator remarked that bob looked as if he'd gone through something and been changed...that he was wearing his "post mmj face."  

That female commentator is Carrie Brownstein from Sleater-Kinney.

ms. yvon

she had one ridiculous comment before the show about the number of bass guitars on the stage and how it seemed unecessary.  what?!  :-?

again:  lincoln continental.  damn.

brings to mind this line from the movie "true stories:"  "this isn't a rental car.  it's privately owned."
"i don't mean to brag, i don't mean to boast, but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast."