Main Menu

Melanie

Started by EC, Apr 03, 2005, 11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

Holy shit.  I just saw her play.  Do you guys know her?  Brand New Key?  ("I got a brand new pair of roller skates, you got a brand new key...")  Lay Down (Candles in the Rain).  Alexander Beatle...  

She was at Woodstock.  I've been in love with her since I was a kid - I used to play my Mom's records over and over again.  When I was in Edinburgh I was staying with this wicked woman, Edna, who didn't have a cd player, only a record player, and like five records.  One of them was Melanie.  I was so glad.

Anyhow, she's back on the road.  She's playing around, and if she's coming to your town, I highly recommend her.  www.melaniemusic.net for the tour listing.  (She's coming to the Netherlands!!)

Plus, she plays with her son, and her son is a fucking class A wicked guitar player.  From the looks of things,  he built his own guitar.  And he plays - his fingers are faster than you can tap to.  He's really good.  And also incredibly lovely.  He kept saying (he's like in his early twenties, if that, and the room was full of mostly older folks and me) "You guys are awesome, this is wicked, thank you so much."  And giving everyone the thumbs up.  He kept patting my Mom on the shoulder and thanking her for coming.  Which I think pleased her.  ;)

Anyhow, seriously.  This is one heavy duty woman.  Her voice is like two thousand years old.  And she tells stories - really long, amazing stories.  And she has this little amythest that hangs from her guitar, and she can sing like a fucking train coming at you.  

I don't know.  Man.  If none of that scares you, you will love her.

Plus, and this is kind of cool - she told the story about how she'd been playing kind of small venues, little coffee houses and that, and her husband's friend (or something) was putting on this "really nice outdoor festival - you know, like people would be camping, and there'd be families and stuff.  Really sweet."  So she, rather boldly, asked if she could play.  She thought it sounded really cool.  And they said yes.  And it was Woodstock.  Her first fucking big show, was a REALLY BIG SHOW.  And she only knew three chords.  She thought people were going to kill her.

Anyhow, yeah, if she's coming your way, it's a very cool night.  And they played forEVER.  Like three hours, no break.  So awesome.

Oz

Hey, I think I know her... Didn't she do a cover of 'Ruby Tuesday'?
I'm ready when you are

EC

QuoteHey, I think I know her... Didn't she do a cover of 'Ruby Tuesday'?

Yeah, she did.  She sang it last night, too.  :)  

(I actually thought she had written it until a few years ago.)
(She does a pretty kickass cover of Tambourine Man, too.)

Drunkre

I've got about 6 to 8 of her albums on vinyl.  I can't remember how I heard her for the first time; it might've been on VH1 or something.  Anyway, "Peace Will Come" is an amazing song; it still holds resonance today, and can make you tear up if you hear a really good version of it (I recommend the live version on Leftover Wine).  
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

EC

QuoteI've got about 6 to 8 of her albums on vinyl. ÊI can't remember how I heard her for the first time; it might've been on VH1 or something. ÊAnyway, "Peace Will Come" is an amazing song; it still holds resonance today, and can make you tear up if you hear a really good version of it (I recommend the live version on Leftover Wine). Ê

mmmmm good one.  I recommend seeing her play it live.  She did last night, and honestly, I looked around, people were crying.  And she cried a little.  Beautiful.

I love hippies.  :)

Oz

Hmm, sounds like I'll be going there. :)
I'm ready when you are

EC

QuoteHmm, sounds like I'll be going there. :)

Yay!  (Make sure you talk to her if you can.  Honestly, she gives you goosebumps, she's really powerful.)  :)

marktwain

This is cool.  I only knew 'brand new key' from Boogie Nights, but I really dig that song - she has the sexiest voice!  

I've always meant to check out more of her stuff (if you know what I mean heh heh) but I always had other cds to spend my money on.

I'm gonna have to check out ITunes when I get home.

EC

(hey tundra - my favourite record is here: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:ve3m96bo3epo and I recommend every song.  Lay Down (Candles in the Rain) is probably the song I listened to the most in my life.  No joke.  Alexander Beetle's a nice song for kids, too...)

(weird.  Allmusic describes her music as Jesus Rock.  That's just too weird.)

marktwain