doingbird Jim James article about m. ward

Started by thebigbang, Aug 04, 2005, 08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigbang

Here is the article.  If you can find the mag, buy a copy.  These were real nice folks to send it a long to share with everyone here.

http://www.kentuckythings.com/mymorningjacket/doingbird9.pdf

Note from doingbird:

Our website is quite unfinished so if you want to run the page just mention it's
from doingbird#nine (all lowercase) and the photographer is Rachael Cassells.

Kind regards,

Malcolm
doingbird

http://www.doingbird.com/
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

EC

Thank you bigbang.  That's very lovely. :)

(Plus, I finally understand the "G" thing.  I didn't know it stood for gangster.)

whothrewthecake

thanks so much for posting that. i love that he fell asleep in his little bunk listening to m.ward. good times.

October

is this link not working for anybody else...i'd love to read it

EC

Quoteis this link not working for anybody else...i'd love to read it
I think if I remember, it took me a few tries, October.  It's also a pdf, so maybe you don't have Adobe Reader?

CC

for the non-pdf people:

I remember the first time I heard of M. Ward. My friend Nate gave me his Transfiguration of Vincent album. I said, 'Hmm... I'll give it a listen.' I forgot to listen
to it. We were playing in Burlington Vermont soon after and at the club there was a poster hanging up for M. Ward – looking all dark and mysterious under his
baseball cap – announcing an upcoming show.
'Hmm... I'll have to remember to listen to that,' I thought. I loaded it into my iPod and promptly forgot to listen to it once again. I am forgetful.
Then, one night on the bus from somewhere to somewhere, all tucked into my cozy little bunk, I was searching through my iPod for something nice to listen
to on a snowy night... something cozy. I was scrolling down, like most good iPod users do, and I just so happened upon the name 'M. Ward' in my iPod.
'Finally,' I thought, 'I'll give this a listen.' But right then we stopped at a rest area so I got out to get some chocolate and to take a pee. Afterwards I got back
in my little cozy bunk and pulled the blankets up around my neck and I put it on: M. Ward's The Transfiguration of Vincent. I was instantly transported to a
beautiful swamp upon hearing the first seconds of 'Transfiguration No.1'. 'Jesus,' I thought. Then came 'Vincent O'Brien.' 'Holy Christ,' I thought. Then came
'Outta My Head'. 'Sweet Mary, mother of all things righteous,' I thought, and I kept feeling the chills all the way through 'Transfiguration No. 2'. Then I put it
on again and M. sang me sweetly to sleep, right there in my cozy little bunk. I was a fan. I've gotten all his records since.
A few months later I happened upon señor Conor Oberst at a show we were both playing and we hit it off. He invited me to play an acoustic show with his
Bright Eyes ensemble the following night, which I did and it went smashingly. We discussed the idea of doing a collaboration tour of some sorts, where three
or four artistes went out and played solo and on each others' songs and sets. 'Lets do that sometime,' I said, and a few months went by. Then we talked about
it some more and Conor said, 'How's about you and me and M. Ward doin' some muh-fuckin gangsta shit?' And I said: 'Hell yeah, some muh-fuckin G-shit.'
I was excited. So I flew to Omaha to rehearse in Conor's basement. M. was due to fly in the next day. I was wondering what he'd be like – if he'd be shy or bold,
witty or crude, a nice guy or an asshole. So you can imagine my great relief upon meeting señor Ward. He was exactly like he sounded on record – as a human
being personified. Mysterious. Sweet. Genuine. Amazing. The real deal, Hollyfield. We hit it off right from the start. I've learned a lot from that man and consider
him a good friend to have, one of the best people I've met on this weird journey. It was a great tour. The 'Monsters of Folk', we called it. Jim James M.Ward's new
album is Transistor Radio (Merge Records/Spunk). www.mwardmusic.com portrait Rachael Cassells

October

fitzcarraldo

EC

We're listening to Transfiguration of Vincent a 2nd time right now.  

I did some research into Rachael Cassells, who took the photograph of M Ward in that article, and who also wrote me back.  Anyhow, her pictures are really beautiful.  And then I found this in her portfolio.

I couldn't remember seeing it before.  :)

thebigbang

Quoteis this link not working for anybody else...i'd love to read it

I think you need to update to the newest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader to see the pdf.  I can view it at work, but I haven't updated my home version and it just kind of hangs showing only a blank page.
Just a Heartbreakin' Man, doing a Victory Dance with Shaky Knees, along a Bermuda Highway

peanut butter puddin surprise

yup, gotta update the ol Adobe...

fucking A right article.  that shit sparks my hither...
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

aMillionDreams

I did some research into Rachael Cassells, who took the photograph of M Ward in that article, and who also wrote me back.  Anyhow, her pictures are really beautiful.  And then I found this in her portfolio. :)

Good work, EC.  That's a nice picture of Jim.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

EC

Good work, EC.  That's a nice picture of Jim.
:)  Yeah, you should check out her pictures.  They're really lovely.

You have to be a special kind of person to make somebody relaxed enough for you to get what you need in a picture.  

Jellyfish

I love that pic of Jim...in deep thought.
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

thebigbang

QuoteI love that pic of Jim...in deep thought.
Looks to me like he doesn't want to step in something gross he just spotted on the floor.

EC

Looks to me like he doesn't want to step in something gross he just spotted on the floor.

Hilarious.  We all come at things differently.   8)