A little game for you all...

Started by Billy_Pilgrim, Aug 10, 2005, 07:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy_Pilgrim

Right, one of my buddies and myself are soon to head off on a road trip. Well, we're driving to Cornwall anyway. Seems like a hell of a drive from London.

The stereo system finally gave up in my car recently and so for entertainment we will be listening to my ipod through a set of very small speakers. So, to spice things up a bit, we have set ourselves a bit of a challenge. We get to create one playlist each of our favourite band in the hope of coverting the other into a fan. Of course I have chosen MMJ as all my friend has heard is The Way That He Sings, which he described as 'cracking'. Sadly I think I am getting Machine Head in return...

The rules: 20 songs only, they must be from 'proper' albums, so no b-sides, live tracks or rare tunes. Plus, we get one joker/trump tune which can be taken from anywhere.

This is my list as it stands:
Heartbreakin' Man
Old Sept Blues
Evelyn Is Not Real
I Will Be There When You Die
At Dawn
Lowdown
The Way That He Sings
Death Is The Easy Way
Hopefully
Bermuda Highway
X-Mas Curtain
Just Because I Do
Mahgeeta
Dancefloors
Golden
Masterplan
One Big Holiday
I Will Sing You Songs
Easy Morning Rebel
Rocket Man (this is my trump tune, because it is one of his favourite songs ever).

So this is where you guys come in. What else would you put on there? In place of what?

Remember the aim of this is to convert him into a fan, so it has to be a killer selection.

Let the debate begin...
Why's it sooo soft when the cannons unload on the others?
Why're we so loud when we say it wont happen to us?

aMillionDreams

if this guy's into Machinehead you might want to replace 'Death is the Easy Way' with 'Honest Man' and maybe try to work 'Twilight' or 'Run Thru' onto the list.  Good luck with your friend!  But remember, some people don't want to be converted. ;)
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

corey

I would work in "sooner" from the acoustic EP. It would still count as a proper album, right? I know it's live, but still... Well, shit. You could use the studio version as well. I've just been digging the hell out of that song lately.
I would probably take off "X-mas curtain" and replace it with "Sooner".
Just my opinion...

SMc55

QuoteSeems like a hell of a drive from London.

Just don't make the mistake of thinking you're nearly there when you get to Exeter. It looks like it on the map but it's about half the driving time. More time to listen to MMJ and...er.. Machine Head.

Your list looks good. Shows the variety of styles.

peanut butter puddin surprise

ah, but isn't Rocket Man a live song?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

fitzcarraldo

What? No Rollin Back or Steam Engine?  ;)

aMillionDreams

Rollin Back wouldn't be on my top fifty, but that's just my opinion.  And there is a studio version of 'Rocketman' (it was on the Early Recordings disc 1 and a Darla comp before that).  btw, if you can use songs from EPs I would definately include 'Sooner' and 'Come Closer' and I'd probably nix 'Just Because I Do' and 'Masterplan'.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

EC

Quoteah, but isn't Rocket Man a live song?

It's on Sandworm Cometh...  I can't remember if that's live or not...

I think you should just tie your friend down to the passenger seat and play every single My Morning Jacket recording ever done.  In chronological order.  That includes the tribute albums, the live recordings and that CC Mixter version of One Big Holiday.  Screw playing fair.  You'd be doing him/her a favour.  ;)

Besides.  It's so hard to pick...

Sometimes, though, if I'm playing them for someone for the first time, I like to play an actual record.  There's something about listening to the flow of a record that's nice...  If s/he likes it, you can have a few more handy.

Tree

what about "one in the same" or "just one thing"?

Billy_Pilgrim

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll have to take my time over the final selection.

About Rocket Man - We're allowing ourselves one song from anywhere we want, a kind of killer song if you like, so this is my choice.

Keep the ideas coming everyone. I'll let you know the final list soon...

Why's it sooo soft when the cannons unload on the others?
Why're we so loud when we say it wont happen to us?