Rocket Man & Other Favourite Cover Versions

Started by dragonboy, Sep 05, 2005, 05:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC

QuoteYer, I'm listening to a Gram CD right now!
Did anyone see the Johnny Knoxville movie Grand Theft Parsons? I was really disappointed.
I wasn't really interested in that.  There was a BBC documentary, though, that was pretty damn good.  'wiggum copied it for me.  

Have you read Hickory Wind?  I liked that.

dragonboy

There was a BBC documentary, though, that was pretty damn good.  'wiggum copied it for me.  

Have you read Hickory Wind?  I liked that.

I remember reading something about that. I might be wrong but I think the same article said that it would later be released on DVD? Hope so...
Haven't read Hickory Wind, checking it on amazon now.  Thanks :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

corey

"Grand Theft Parsons" was pretty entertaining, but I don't really know much about Gram. I'm pretty sure some of the film was glorified for fiction's sake though.

Seriously, can anyone produce an mp3 of Jim doing "Dark End of the Street"?

EC

QuoteI remember reading something about that. I might be wrong but I think the same article said that it would later be released on DVD? Hope so...
Haven't read Hickory Wind, checking it on amazon now.  Thanks :)
Hickory Wind is great.  I mean, I think (I might be wrong), it's one of the only biographies about him...  

Jim's and Colin Cripps' nudie suits on the GP tribute show were AWESOME.  There was a little outfit that Jack white was wearing for a bit that reminded me of a nudie suit...  I think it was red and white and black...  (hahahaha)

dragonboy

Jim's and Colin Cripps' nudie suits on the GP tribute show were AWESOME.

When I went to the Country Music Hall of Fame Gram's famous Marijuana leaf Nudie Suit was on loan to another museum! That was my main reason for going! >:(
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

EC

QuoteWhen I went to the Country Music Hall of Fame Gram's famous Marijuana leaf Nudie Suit was on loan to another museum! That was my main reason for going! >:(
I would've been so seriously pissed about that.  Holy crap.

Wait - THAT is in the country music hall of fame?  what the hell?!  That's weird to me, a little...

tomEisenbraun

Gillian Welch's version of "Beulah Land" is quite sweet.
Also "Satisfied" done by John Hiatt.

Both on the Avalon Blues tribute to Mississippi John Hurt.

Very cool compilation, except for a couple total crap songs. Beck is on there, as well as Ben Harper and Allison Krauss.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

EC

Was Kiss a Tom Jones or a Prince song, originally?  Either way, I like the Prince version.  Man that dude can sing.

dragonboy

marktwain

Definitely Prince. I won over my wife doing karaoke to that one.  

the Boxer - Dylan (Simon & Garfunkel)
Nobody Does it Better - Radiohead (Carly Simon)
Every Grain of Sand - Emmylou (Dylan)
Dead Flowers - Townes Van Zandt (Stones)
Sea of Love - Cat Power (Phil Phillips)

aMillionDreams

Great Thread!  

"Seven Days" - Ron Wood (Bob Dylan)
"Like a Rolling Stone" - Jimi Hendrix (Bob Dylan)
"Tyrone" - MMJ (Eryka Badu)
"I Wanna Dance with Somebody" - David Byrne (Whitney Houston)
"Careless Whisper" - Ben Folds and Rufus Wainwright (George Michael
"Across the Universe" - Rufus Wainwright (Lennon/McCartney)
"The Piano Has Been Drinkin (Not Me)" - Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks (Tom Waits)

I'm sure I'm leaving out some of the all-time greats.  I really enjoy a good cover.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

TheLink

that whole album from "I am Sam" is great.  good call.

dragonboy

Here are some more:

Crazy - Pasty Cline (Willie Nelson) Can't believe I forgot this one!!!
Crazy Mary - Pearl Jam (Victoria Williams)
Turn the Page - Metallica (Bob Seger)

I've always felt that Waylon Jennings had a knack for turning other peoples songs into stone-cold country classics, here are some of my favs:

Honky Tonk Heroes (Billy Joe Shaver)
Pick up The Tempo (Willie Nelson)
Lonsome On'ry & Mean (Steve Young)
Midnight Rider (Allman Brothers)
Never Been to Spain(Live) (No idea who did this 1st?)

TheLink

"crazy mary" is probably the song i sing best to in my entire life.  it is easy, but ver well done by PJ.  

EC

QuoteDead Flowers - Townes Van Zandt (Stones)

Big word on that.  I love that version.  In fact, I like it better than the original.  :)

JacketGal

I think their version of Floyd's "Mother" is truly inspired!! And I do love "Dream a little Dream of Me" too....stars fading....sweetness!
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

peanut butter puddin surprise

I do a mean cover of Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" in the car...does that count?
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

EC

QuoteI do a mean cover of Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" in the car...does that count?
Yes.  

I really liked when the Coffee Crisp guys covered "Another One Bites the Dust".  

dragonboy

QuoteI do a mean cover of Gordon Lightfoot's "Sundown" in the car...does that count?

Sundown you'd better take care
If I find you've been creepin' round my back stairs!

Love that song!
I have a picture of Tom Cruise singing Free Falling, is that close John? ;)