No Direction Home. Dylan documentary

Started by Chills, Sep 25, 2005, 03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marktwain

wow, thanks!
I'm sold.  Still, I'd love to have more.

Billy_Pilgrim

I thought it was mindblowing. Those shots of Dylan playing with the media in all those press conferences was brilliant.

I was watching it with my mum, and she kept going on about hearing Highway 61, Blonde on Blonde, Freewheelin' and the such when they came out, sitting in candle-lit rooms at university. Damn, how much I would love to have been around in those days. Dylan, Beatles, Rolling Stones bringing out albums every few months. Amazing.

It was superb to see Dylan up-close, talking so candidly and coherantly about his life.
Why's it sooo soft when the cannons unload on the others?
Why're we so loud when we say it wont happen to us?

Chills

Hey, Bob Dylan, I wrote you a song
Today's your birthday if I'm not wrong
If I'm not mistaken, you're fifty today
How are you doing, Bob, what do ya say?

Well, it must have been about '62
I heard you on record and you were brand new
And some had some doubts about the way you sang
But the truth came through and loudly it rang

Yeah you were hipper than Mitch Miller
And Johnny Mathis put together

So I got some boots, a harmonica rack
A D21 and I was on the right track
But I didn't start writing until '68
It was too damn daunting, you were too great

But I won a whole lot of Bob Dylan imitation contests, though

Yeah, times were a-changin'
You brought it all home
Blonde on Blonde
Like a Rolling Stone
The real world was crazy, you were deranged
And when you went electric, Bob, everything changed

Shock to the system

Out of commission at a motorcycle wreck
Holed up at Woodstock with a broken neck
Labels were signin' up guys with guitars
Out to make millions, lookin' for stars

Well, I figured it was time to make my move--Songs from the Westchester County Delta Country

Yeah, I got a deal and so did John Prine
Steve Forbert and Springsteen all in a line
They were lookin' for you, signin' up others
We were New Bob Dylans
Your dumb-ass kid brothers

Yeah, we still get together every week at Bruce's house--he's got quite a spread I'll tell ya--it's a twelve-step program

Yeah, but we were just us
And of course, you were you
And John Wesley Hardin still sounded new
Nashville Skyline was even newer
And Blood on the Tracks and the ringin' got truer

Let's see, there was another one in there--oh, I got it, I got it--Self Portrait. It was an interesting effort...

Yeah, I had to stop listenin', the times were too tough
Me bein' the new me was hard enough
You keep right on changin' like you always do
And what's best is the old stuff still all sounds new

Yeah, today's your birthday, have a great one, Bob
Bein' the new you's one hell of a job
My kid cranked up her boombox, it almost groaned
And I heard you screaming from her room
"Everybody must get stoned"

Thanks a lot, Bob

Loudon Wainwright

whothrewthecake

i also loved the little clip of johnny cash and bob singing at the piano. i just watched with my jaw hanging to the floor. i didn't want it to end.  [smiley=beehive.gif]

EC

Quotei also loved the little clip of johnny cash and bob singing at the piano. i just watched with my jaw hanging to the floor. i didn't want it to end.  [smiley=beehive.gif]

I must see this.

I have the Nashville sessions with Johnny and Bob.  There is some seriously awesome stuff in there.

peanut butter puddin surprise

I must see this.

I have the Nashville sessions with Johnny and Bob.  There is some seriously awesome stuff in there.

man, that has to be killer...I'm jealous!  ;)
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

antoniostrohs

Can't wait to see it.I have it recorded on my DVR.So I'll be watching it this weekend.

Drunkre

I watched both nights.  I agree with most posts.  The conversations with Baez were illuminating, and I really liked the way Scorsese brought out the constant change in Dylan.  I loved the way he juxtaposed Dylan singing "All I really wanna do/Is baby be friends with you" with Dylan's moving away from the folk scene; it was like I was hearing the song anew.  Loved the British fan's quote, "We came to see Dylan.  Not a pop, not a pop group."  To which another fan responds, "Not many pop groups that sound like that."  Amen, the congregation may be seated.  Live performances in England and Newport were like a shadow of punk's defiant middle finger.
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home

marktwain

QuoteI loved the way he juxtaposed Dylan singing "All I really wanna do/Is baby be friends with you" with Dylan's moving away from the folk scene; it was like I was hearing the song anew.

Yeah, I had the same reaction to several songs.  I got into Dylan in the 90's, so I was hearing the songs way out of context.  Scorsese did a beautiful job of placing them back into context, and now I can appreciate them in a whole new way.

Jellyfish

"Would you like to suck my glasses"?  ;D
The fact that my hearts beating
is all the proof you need

fitzcarraldo

Aww that's right, Liam Clancy. thanks Tundra!

Part 2 was awesome! That psychedelic sequence was spot on. :o

aMillionDreams

I finally got a chance to watch this and I was blown away.  I didn't get that much new information from it but it was cool to see the story laid out and retold with such accuracy and emotion.  Scorcese obviously did a great job.  This is a documentary that needed to be made.  The soundtrack is also unbelievable.  Lucky for us, Dylan has decided to leave his legacy and how impressive it is.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

MMJ_fanatic

It was enjoyable enough for me to order and I plan to buy an additional one for my brother's Christmas present!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

primushead

So yesterday, my friend told me that he bought the DVD for this.  So we got super baked and watched the entire thing.  I loved it!  The Dvd also had 7 full length performances which were very cool...all around it was a fantastic Documentary.

BIGVICLBI

My dad and my grandfather were BIG into Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers, and of course now I am as well. I didn't know he was still alive, now I'm gonna hope he comes to America. Seriously, they rule if you are Irish or whatever.(Yes I'm a mick!)Definately a good ass documentary.

marktwain

I got to see Tommy Makem at the IrishFest here in Louisville several years back.  It was really nice, though I didn't know most of the songs.

I think many people there had no idea who he was.