Service Industry Snobs

Started by ycartrob, Dec 12, 2005, 08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

Quote and y'all, the only reason we're snotty is, as anyone who has ever worked in the service industry will tell you, people are freakin' morons

I disagree 100%. I waited tables 6 years through college and had a great time and made great bank. These days when I go out, I really recognize good service and also recognize the holier than thou assholes.
It's not like you're working at a carwash and there's "some bitch who wants a skim-milk-extra-hot-extra-shot-but-with-whipped-cream mocha". You're working at a coffee shop for God's sakes. Serve!

Seriously don't understand why people have that attitude in the service industry.  S E R V I C E. Hellloooooo????

Hey, I feel real strong about this b/c I used to work with people all the time who would get pissed at customers and then their chi was all out of whack. Not everyone is meant to wait tables or be in the service industry, but most anyone can. No need to fuck your karma up by getting pissed at people you are  S E R V I N G.

Comments??

EC

I got some comments.

1.  Where is the love for Conor?  The dude does a lot of cool stuff.

2.  Tracy, you must not have worked with some of the assholes that wellfleet and I worked with.  I had one customer grab me, stick his TONGUE in my ear, and apologize because we couldn't have sex that night because he was with his girlfriend.  It's not about serving PEOPLE, it's about serving assholes who think that they can behave any way they want.  I served fuckers that I knew were trying to be dicks.  I served very very lovely, wonderful people who had a lot of requests, and I didn't mind that one bit.  But it's the dicks of the world that piss you off because you have to do extra stuff for them, they don't tip, and you feel like you're compromising your soul because you have to be nice to them.

xoxo

ycartrob

well, there's quite a difference between a guy sticking his tongue in your ear and a woman with a special order for her mocha, don't you think?

Those there are 2 different animals...

TheLink

in service you have two jobs- greet people and make them feel welcomed, and to get the fucking order right!  if you can do that, then you may get a tip from an apreciative patron such as myself.  my favorite person to not tip is the dealer at the blackjack table who never looks at you except when they make 21 to beat your 20 and enjoy every minute of it.  that person does not get a tip and is as bad as the guy being an asshole to the waitress at Denny's cause he has a limpdick.

wellfleet

EC... you got it completely right. I had a regular customer tell me he'd love to bend me over a table. I had more comments about my chest than I wish to remember. I had a guy from Calgary in Montreal for the Grey Cup hang out in the store waiting for me to get off so we could have a date and it got so creepy I had to call a girlfriend to pretend she was my sister coming to pick me up so I could dash out. I had mentally unstable transients stare me down and ask for mayonnaise (don't have any, we're a coffee shop). Not to mention all the business people barking at you, not saying hello, talking on their goddamn CELL PHONE without even looking up at you and just pointing and gesturing like gorillas, not saying please or thank you. I'm not saying you have to treat me like royalty, but please treat me like I'm a human being that is deserving of courtesy. I'm nice to you, how come you can't be nice back? I loved getting people's days off to a good start with a big smile, fun music, easy banter, hockey debates, coffee ready when they walk in the door, remembering their regular order, their name, their birthday, their kid's name, their favourite football team... it's the "SERVE" people who suck the fun out of it. It all comes down to being a decent human being. Instant karma's gonna get you. Although I had people treat me like total garbage, I never spit in anyone's coffee, never snuck in whole milk when they asked for skim... But don't blame me for having a boiling point. I am nice to everyone until they tell me my tits look amazing under my apron. Then, I don't have to be nice anymore.
everything sucks. really.