2006 Commonwealth games

Started by ali, Mar 07, 2006, 04:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ali

only 7 days to go!!

any canadians interested?
love a song for the way it makes you feel

jrat

canadian here. ive never actually paid any attention to them whatsoever. theres usually just a quick blurb on the sports channels, but thats about it,. or maybe the local papaer if a local athlete does well, but other than that, idont usually see much. mind you im never looking so someone might say im full of shit. (watch someone tell me its on CBC all the time hahaha)
wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream - pink floyd

ali

i think australians only pay attention because a) we've actually got them HERE this time round, and b) we stand a much much better chance of winning anything at the cg than the olympics...  :)

although our big hope in the pool, ian thorpe, has just pulled out due to illness... arrgh national crisis!!!

i'm sure you're not full of shit  ;)  we're just sports nuts over here, so even if the rest of the world descended into WWIII (or IV depending on your viewpoint), if there was sport on the telly, australia would NOT NOTICE!

Jaimoe

The Commonwealth Games used to be big news in Canada, but people seem to be still distracted by the winter Olympics and a general lack of interest by the media and the majority of citizens. The CBC went from broadcasting over 16 hours of daily Winter Olympic coverage (most live) to 1 hour of packaged programming for the Commonwealth Games.

Hey Aussies, too bad about Thorpe.

ali

well, games are officially underway.... opening ceremony wasn't too bad (not as good as 2000 olympics, but hey, its only the commonwealth games after all) - i could see the fireworks from my house, so that was pretty cool

ali

ah the games are officially over - after 10 days of re-discovering how much of a sport-nut i am!!!  

closing ceremony was great - india is hosting the next games, so bollywood was the theme, with special guest star aishwarya rai

and of course... australia came out on top with 84 gold medals, england second with 36, canada third with 26...

amazing moments - being in a crowd of 80,000 people cheering on kerryn mccann to win the women's marathon only 2 seconds ahead of a kenyan runner who she had only finally beaten off in the final 350m of a 42k run... simply amazing. and watching craig mottram get pipped at the post by an incredible sprint by kenyan augustine choge in the 5000m

:)