50$ -lots of money or just pocket change?

Started by wellfleet, Mar 29, 2006, 09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wellfleet

noticed this in the "shows" section about how 50$ is a reasonable price for PJ-MMJ tickets... somehow, this was made out to be cheap/affordable.
comparisons to U2/Eagles/Rolling Stones tickets notwithstanding, when did 50$ become loose change? my husband and i could eat well for a week on 50$. i dunno... am i just becoming more frugal as i get older or is 50$ still a nice chunk of money to have laying around?
everything sucks. really.

EC

That's a good question, wellfleet.  I think it depends on how much whatever you're buying is worth to you.  I still think $50 is a LOT of money.  But it's not a lot of money for a trip to Europe.  And it's too much money for a banana.

I would say that if Pearl Jam and My Morning Jacket are your two favourite bands, together at last, you probably don't mind the $50.  

BIGVICLBI

hmmm $50.00...... not even enough for two lap dances these days.  :'( :'(have to say its loose change.

EC

Quotehmmm $50.00...... not even enough for two lap dances these days.  :'( :'(have to say its loose change.

wouldn't that make it "not loose" change?  man, how much is a damn lap dance?  maybe i'm in the wrooooong bidness.

sweatboard

From Knoxville to East Rutherford..............

Should I drive or fly.  It's like 700 and some miles from here and about 11 hours by car.  Plane tickets look like there about $400 a piece.  What is your oppinion Meg?
There's Still Time.........

wellfleet

seriously... take the train. i know amtrak has a really bad reputation but i'm so scared of flying that i used to take the train from albany, NY to dallas, TX  after taking a bus from montreal to albany... all to see my boyfriend. lots of good things happened:
1. my boyfriend is now my husband
2. no taking off your shoes, getting your bum x-rayed, or having to show 2 hours early
3. it's pretty cheap
4. it's a great way to see the USA, which, for all its faults, is truly beautiful

just a suggestion, which is how the concept came to me, and at first i thought it was nuts, and now i think it's brilliant

re: lapdances -- Montreal, one dance, 10$. the real land of the free. EC, you could prolly still make some good money that way
everything sucks. really.

sweatboard

Quoteseriously... take the train. i know amtrak has a really bad reputation but i'm so scared of flying that i used to take the train from albany, NY to dallas, TX  after taking a bus from montreal to albany... all to see my boyfriend. lots of good things happened:
1. my boyfriend is now my husband
2. no taking off your shoes, getting your bum x-rayed, or having to show 2 hours early
3. it's pretty cheap
4. it's a great way to see the USA, which, for all its faults, is truly beautiful

just a suggestion, which is how the concept came to me, and at first i thought it was nuts, and now i think it's brilliant

re: lapdances -- Montreal, one dance, 10$. the real land of the free. EC, you could prolly still make some good money that way

Thanks so much Wellfleet, I'll have to check into that.

-Brian
There's Still Time.........

EC

Yeah, for sure if you can take the train, I would take the train.  I love the train.  An 11 hour drive isn't too bad, but if you're by yourself, it's kind of long.  

Waaaait a second - is it really 700 miles from you?!?!  Is that true?  It seems like it would be less.  

Anyhow, $400 isn't too bad I guess - that's about what it costs me to fly the same distance.  But I've become pretty good with looking at flights - so if you want me to search a bit for you, you know I'd be happy to do it.

I would do anything for you.   :-*

Perhaps the answer is in the song, "I Would Do Anything" by Kenny Loggins:

Love, where are we going,
And when do we reach the promise on the horizon,

Out on the ocean, under a sunset,
I was invited to come out and play a while
with magic and move a mountain.

Has anyone ever captured the sun,
Is the eagle ever truly tame,
Given just a little time,
I know that you'll find a way.

I would do anything for you,
Give up the world I've made me
And take you away,
I swear from now on,
The trust in my heart,
The vision of you in my life

My love,
I will be faithful,
but how can I make a promise
to a place I've never been?

Something has taken me off,
and I don't know if I will survive.
I believe that everything
I'll ever need is here by the roadside.

How can you fly,
keeping heaven in sight,
blinded by the light of day?

I know that I'll find a way

Listen with all of my spirit,
for ecstasy calling,
You know I believe,
Cause all I have seen,
From the mountain,
The view from the heart.

And take you away,
I swear from here on,
The trust in my god,

Freedom is mine,
One beat at a time,
Where are we going,
I just don't know yet,
How will we make it,
I just can't say,
All that I know is that we've finally sailed away.

Seems everyone's made a prison of love,
But if anybody can escape,
I know that we'll find a way.

Listen with all of my spirit,
for ecstasy calling,
You know I believe,
Cause all I have seen,
From the mountain,
The view from the heart.

And take you away,
I swear from here on,
The trust in my god,

In my arms, I'll pray
I am safe, I am loved, I am free, baby
----
God, he just knows how to nail it on the head "Is the eagle ever truly tame?"  I don't know, Kenny.  I don't know.

Jaimoe

I'd pay $50 to see a full MMJ show, so adding them to a Pearl Jam bill is a pretty good deal.

EC

QuoteI'd pay $50 to see a full MMJ show, so adding them to a Pearl Jam bill is a pretty good deal.

aye, but it's too much for a morrissey show, right?  ;)

Jaimoe

aye, but it's too much for a morrissey show, right?  ;)

You'd have to pay me to see one of his shows. If his music didn't kill me, hanging out in a crowd of his fanatical fans might make me go postal. And speaking of postal, why can't postal workers who go on crazy shooting sprees do society a favour and target people who actually deserve killing - i.e. instead of killing their hard-working coworkers? I'd open fire on a Satan's Choice headquarters.

P.S., I have a few friends that love Morrissey so don't take my distain personally.

ratsprayer

if mmj disappeared for about 10 years, then ok id pay $50 to see a show.  theres no way id pay that much for a regular ol' every year tour.  i paid $66 for a tom waits shows back in 1999, but that was his first tour since 1987, and come on, it was tom fucking waits.  mmj are my current favourite band, but i cant justify paying that unless theyre headlining their own stadium tour or taking a decade long break.

neutral milk hotel, ok id pay $300 to see them live, but thats another story.

MMJ_fanatic

considering what I send each month to my mortgage co., $50 is peanuts  :(
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.