So what do you guys do for a living?

Started by geekdork, Dec 29, 2006, 10:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kory

I am just being nosey but I am curious as to what some of you guys do so you can afford the next mmj release... (I searched and didn't find a thread for this...)

I'll obviously start...
I'm a geographer. I make maps. I'm aware of the first question on your minds... "I thought all the maps were already made?" well, yes and no. I work for an engineering firm that makes maps for all sorts of things including flood plains for FEMA, land cover maps, watershed maps, sewer system maps, property boundaries (cadastral), the list goes on...
I am at work now and most of the time I'm on this board. At times it is a very boring job but 80% of the time it's high stress deadline driven work.

Well, that's my story, who's next?
Visit [url="http://www.37flood.com"]http://www.37flood.com[/url] for Louisville music news.
Also, [url="http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com"]http://www.koryjohnsonphotography.com[/url]

megisnotreal

I'm the program director for two radio stations. Our FM runs on an AC format, and the AM is news/talk/standards. I'm pretty much in charge of everything that gets on the air, including music. I arrange promotions, remote broadcasts, and giveaways. I produce commercials--both as a voice talent and just in terms of production. I also do the traditional DJ stuff. And on the weekends, I do the news. Oh, and I have to be on TV every morning, which sucks.

This is now my third week of working full time, and I love it. I'm really lucky to have an awesome job doing, well, what I want to do. I've been finding I have a lot of downtime, which is why I'm all up in this board.

I also attend Western Kentucky University, where I am persuing a bachelor's degree in English Literature.

Hawkeye

I am a technical service representative at ThermoFisher Scientific out of Dubuque, IA.  We are the largest provider of scientific equipment and service in the world.  Basically I recommend various scientifc instruments to labs and help them troubleshoot their equipment over the phone.  Yes, I'm a nerd.  No, I am not a telemarketer, but yes, I do work in a call center.  My job requires the ability to eat nonstop and have a high tolerance for surfing the internet.  I have a bachelor's degree in chemistry and plan on going to grad school, just not sure for what yet.  Any other chemistry peeps out there?

We could.

MarkW

Finance director of a publicly-quoted company in the UK.  We help members' clubs and other organisations to raise money through lotteries and gaming.  Most of our business is done through our 3,500 lottery machines throughout England and Wales.

I shouldn't really have any time at all to surf this site during the day, but the lure of the Jacket is too strong...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

FarmerYoda

QuoteI am a technical service representative at ThermoFisher Scientific out of Dubuque, IA.  We are the largest provider of scientific equipment and service in the world.  Basically I recommend various scientifc instruments to labs and help them troubleshoot their equipment over the phone.  Yes, I'm a nerd.  No, I am not a telemarketer, but yes, I do work in a call center.  My job requires the ability to eat nonstop and have a high tolerance for surfing the internet.  I have a bachelor's degree in chemistry and plan on going to grad school, just not sure for what yet.  Any other chemistry peeps out there?

(i love chemistry :D. but all that aside, your avatar is fantastic)

colleen

For the past 6 or so years, I have been teaching fine art printmaking (etching, lithography, serigraphy, book arts, letterpress, digital) at the college level. Recently, I've also been trying to get my k-12 certification because I miss working with kids and am also in the midst of pursuing another masters degree. I'm trying to rack up some extra credentials so I can find a job I can bear to stay in for awhile. I also do my own artwork, deal with all the technical aspects of running a shop (fixing presses, etc). and do some contract printing.
Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.

amybee

Quotecook/starving artist

ironic  ;)

I am a substitute teacher, work at an educational farm, and dabble in selling handmade clothes and diy crafty items (usually out of the back of my car).  I am also in grad school to become a montessori teacher when I grow up.

SMc55

I teach Biology and Biochemistry to 16 to 18 year olds.

bug

I'm a receptionist/office administrator for UPS.  
Detroit Cobras @ The Mad Hatter, Covington KY - 7/11/07
Squirrel Nut Zippers @ Jim Porters, Louisville, KY - 7/18/07

aMD

I teach third grade at a good school.  I love it!

ycartrob

I am the clinical case manager at a transitional living home for 17-21 yr olds. Some are truly homeless, some have aged out of foster care, some have families that they can no longer live with. It's very challenging, somewhat un-rewarding (both mentally and financially) and IT NEVER STOPS, however, it is rarely boring and more interesting than any fiction. And, I am a little bit burned out on the residential setting (did I say it NEVER STOPS?). I have recently learned about the Native American custom of Peace Circles from some folks in Boston (actually, Chelsea) and have been implementing them into group work and have had amazing results.

FarmerYoda

sweatboard

I work for the Boys and Girls Club.  Just yesterday I offered to be a mentor for a third grade girl.  She comes to the club but is constantly getting in trouble and cursing out the staff.  She has a problem with peeing her pants, she does it almost every day.  It's caused her a bunch of problems, but the problems she already had that cause her to do this are even worse.  She told me she prays every night for god to "take the days away" but they just keep coming back.  She told me that no one really likes her or loves her.  She says she has no future she is already worried that she'll never be able to have a job because of her problems, she is in third grade.  She said her brother at least had a mentor but that they couldn't find her one.  So I told her mom I would like to do it.  It's truly amazing that I am able to do what I do for a living.  It makes me feel better about the place we live in.  
There's Still Time.........

ycartrob

QuoteI work for the Boys and Girls Club.  Just yesterday I offered to be a mentor for a third grade girl.  She comes to the club but is constantly getting in trouble and cursing out the staff.  She has a problem with peeing her pants, she does it almost every day.  It's caused her a bunch of problems, but the problems she already had that cause her to do this are even worse.  She told me she prays every night for god to "take the days away" but they just keep coming back.  She told me that no one really likes her or loves her.  She says she has no future she is already worried that she'll never be able to have a job because of her problems, she is in third grade.  She said her brother at least had a mentor but that they couldn't find her one.  So I told her mom I would like to do it.  It's truly amazing that I am able to do what I do for a living.  It makes me feel better about the place we live in.  

I hear you Brian. When I come home from work I am thankful for the "problems" I have. Not much compared to the young people I encounter.

ycartrob

Quotewhere is "here", tracy?

What is it that you are meaning when you say "here"?

FarmerYoda

Quotewhere is "here", tracy?

What is it that you are meaning when you say "here"?

hahahah
i guess you didnt' say here. if you did, it would've made more sense.
...where do you live?

(internet creep moment)

BH

Wow, I feel inferior after reading about Brian and Tracy's work.  Nice going guys.  The world would be a lot better place with more people like you.  Seriously.

I have a mechanical engineering degree and I do AutoCad design work for a small company that sells material handling equipment.  (Conveyor, packaging machinery, palletizers, stretch wrappers, etc.)   I'm still hoping to grow up to be a race car driver but I think I may be running out of time.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jaimoe

I work for a national television network based in Toronto. I basically monitor the quality and content of all the broadcasts of six music video channels, MuchMusic being the most famous.

Drunkre

7th grade teacher with Birmingham City Schools.  On the side, I'm a land shark.  I mean, singing telegram.
it's a voice. and it's a choice
to call you out. or stay at home