Killing Yourself To Live

Started by DavidCrosby, Jul 08, 2008, 05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidCrosby

....ever read this book by Chuck Klosterman????....well if you haven't at one point in the book (page 171) he mentions that he is listening to Dancefloors by the one, the only, MMJ.....cool to be listening to something and then what you are reading mentions it (although I wasn't listening to that song but a bootleg where it was played earlier).....also it was strange how excited I got about when he mentioned them too, I felt like a dork....
listen to vinyl

laylow82

i love that book... I think Klosterman ranked it still moves in his top 5 albums of 2003

Dorothy_Mantooth

Quote....ever read this book by Chuck Klosterman????....well if you haven't at one point in the book (page 171) he mentions that he is listening to Dancefloors by the one, the only, MMJ.....cool to be listening to something and then what you are reading mentions it (although I wasn't listening to that song but a bootleg where it was played earlier).....also it was strange how excited I got about when he mentioned them too, I felt like a dork....

one time i walked past a taco stand and heard At Dawn playing. you would've thought i discovered gold. but then i saw this girl with a rabbit on a leash and i was totally distracted. i mean, do rabbits even need exercise? can they even walk fast enough? it was a strange day.
"[Adrien Brody] is a big hip-hop fan and plans on becoming a producer. He is being mentored by RZA."

LEATHER KID

IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

Love Dogg

Klosterman is awesome.  Read that one on the way to Boston and back a couple of years ago.  'Sex, Drugs and Coco Puffs' is a good one, too!
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

bold99

I just finished Closterman IV.  Great book.  The article on the Goths at Disneyland is just classic.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

bowl of soup

QuoteI just finished Closterman IV.  Great book.  The article on the Goths at Disneyland is just classic.

Yes.  And Morrisey and his Mexican appeal.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Hawkeye

QuoteI just finished Closterman IV.  Great book.  The article on the Goths at Disneyland is just classic.

Yes.  And Morrisey and his Mexican appeal.

And the rock-cruise thing with Styx, The Wagon , and Journey...sounds like a good time!  They should do an updated version of that with say, MMJ, Wilco, The Raconteurs...hell, whoever, just MMJ and two other decent bands would be great.  It's been awhile since I've read that book.  Wasn't there something about how much of a weirdo Val Kilmer is?  And then there was the thing about "advanced" people and how Lou Reed is the "most advanced" person ever, and the thing about how certain bands are EXACTLY as popular as they should be (I know the Beatles and the Black Crowes were two of 'em)...anyway, pretty good book
We could.

kev

[/quote]

one time i walked past a taco stand and heard At Dawn playing. you would've thought i discovered gold. but then i saw this girl with a rabbit on a leash and i was totally distracted. i mean, do rabbits even need exercise? can they even walk fast enough? it was a strange day.[/quote]

Of course they need the exercise.  My neighbors two young daughters have a pet rabbit, at least they used to haven't seen it this summer??hummmm??) anyway, they use to take it out in the yard on a leash.  It is kind of out of the ordinary!

DavidCrosby

....yeah that is the only book I have read of his and I will be getting more of them soon....I love the way he writes and all the comparisons to music that he makes....
listen to vinyl

Coltrane

Klosterman has a novel coming out in September. Just got the advance at work yesterday. The wife's reading it and says it's pretty good.....

it's called "Downtown Owl" and follows normal folks in North Dakota.....
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

Penny Lane

QuoteKlosterman is awesome.  Read that one on the way to Boston and back a couple of years ago.  'Sex, Drugs and Coco Puffs' is a good one, too!

i love that book--i havent' read anything since...i'll def. have to check this out!!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

getinthevan

I picked up "Killing Yourself to Live" one day because I liked the cover and the first page was interesting.  Apparently it was right after it came out and all sorts of people were talking about it and I was oblivious.  I liked it and picked up his others which were also good.  

I lent out a couple of them to a friend of mine and ended up getting one of them back from my old roommate (who was not who I lent them to) and I think my hard cover of "Killing Yourself..." is in the hand's of my friend's little sister and she refuses to give it back.  

The lesson here is you can read Chuck Klosterman's books but never lend them out because you may never see them again.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

JacketGal

I read this recently too, I liked his honesty when he reached some of these destinations and didn't necessarily "feel" anything special. This is a quintessential road trip book, if I've ever read one.

IV is excellent also. This guy is great, I really like his take on music snobs.

Check out Love is a Mix Tape too - by Rob Sheffield.
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

corey

If you were a fan of hair metal, or any kind of metal back in the day, you should check out "Fargo Rock City". I finished it a month or so ago and it kicks ass.

Penny Lane

just ordered this book yesterday....can't wait

bold99

Quotejust ordered this book yesterday....can't wait

This one is on my list next, and then Fargo Rock City....I loved Klosterman IV.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Love Dogg

You should enjoy it, Ms. PennyLane.  I like the way he writes... He writes like I think.  ::)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Penny Lane

You should enjoy it, Ms. PennyLane.  I like the way he writes... He writes like I think.  ::)

oh no! lol....scary....i loved sex, drugs and cocoa puffs---so i'm sure i'll like this.

Love Dogg

oh no! lol....scary....i loved sex, drugs and cocoa puffs---so i'm sure i'll like this.

I should've probably seperated that statement a little.  I meant to say that I think you would like it, but not for the reason that he writes the way I think.  Truthfully, how are you sposta know how I think?  I mean you could have incredible intuition or some super power ESP or something, but for most part........in fact......I should have just left off that whole 'the way I think' part, anyway.    :-/