KCRW Music Director Nic Harcourt Honored

Started by LaurieBlue, May 02, 2007, 03:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurieBlue

It couldn't happen to a better guy.  It's because of Nic and this program I discovered My Morning Jacket ("The Way the He Sings") back in 2003.  Thanks Nic and congratulations!

http://www.mi2n.com/press.php3?press_nb=99773

KCRW Music Director Nic Harcourt Honored As International Music Person Of The Year At MUSEXPO 2007

The worldwide music and media community will pay a special tribute to KCRW Music Director and host of Morning Becomes Eclectic Nic Harcourt at the 3rd annual MUSEXPO in West Hollywood on Wednesday, May 2. British Consul General Bob Peirce will present Harcourt with the "International Music Person of the Year" award for his musical passion, artistic vision and enormous efforts in supporting artists across the globe.

"I spoke to colleagues around the world about who they thought had exemplified a real passion for music and hasn't wavered in their ethos. Overwhelmingly, people said that Nic was the most obvious choice," said MUSEXPO founder Sat Bisla. "Nic has never changed, he has always been a very humble guy. He still loves music and is a big crusader for the artists that don't have a voice."

Harcourt will also receive a proclamation from the Mayor of the City of West Hollywood during the luncheon ceremony on the rooftop of the Bel Age Hotel. In addition, he will be participating in the MUSEXPO Keynote Panel on Monday, April 30 with Larry King and the Global Radio Forum on Tuesday, May 1.

Harcourt has hosted the highly acclaimed program Morning Becomes Eclectic on Santa Monica-based public radio station KCRW 89.9 FM and KCRW.com for more than nine years. (His ten-year anniversary is April 20, 2008). He was dubbed "Latin Alternative's Anglo advocate" in a Washington Post feature story and a recent article in the London Times highlighted the incredible collection of live performance podcasts by artists he has hosted on Morning Becomes Eclectic.

The Wall Street Journal has deemed Morning Becomes Eclectic"...one of the most interesting and influential radio shows in the U.S.," and Esquire magazine hailed Nic in its "Genius" issue for his artistic saavy in breaking new artists. Among those musicians he has introduced to the world and launched to stardom are Norah Jones, My Morning Jacket, Damien Rice, Interpol, Jem, David Gray, Franz Ferdinand, Dido, Sigur Ros, and Coldplay.

vespachick

Right on; he introduced me to MMJ, too! (I still stream his morning show at work, it's the main way I hear anything good!)
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

aMD

Nic Harcourt is great and I love his programs.

However, I've got to say that the man that launched mmj and introduced them to the world was Dan Reed.  He was the program director at WFPK Louisville in 1999 when MMJ hit the scene and fell in love with them immediately.  He really pushed the band in the city and then in the country when he was promoted to program director of all of National Public Radio around the time MMJ released their major label debut.  I wouldn't be surprised if Dan Reed introduced Nic Harcourt to the jacket.  Props and congrats to Nic Harcourt but I had to send some love to a very underrated member of the jacket family.