Where should I move

Started by rccola71, Oct 06, 2007, 10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris

Rccola, I'm really sorry to hear about the breakup.  As far as moving goes, I'll mention the places I know and like best.  If i was going for a big city kind of thing I think I'd like Chicago, that's where my girl is from and we might be moving there at some point in the future.  I currently live in North Carolina, and the two coolest towns in this state are Chapel Hill and Asheville.  Chapel Hill has a great music scene (great music clubs and a number of cool, now defunct indie bands (e.g., superchunk, polvo, kinxbury manx, archers of loaf, etc.) and just a cool college town in general).  Aheville is a cool sort of Hippie town (reminds me of Boulder Colorado, another cool town by the way but ultra expensive) and it's situated in the mountains and is very beautiful.  Coming to North Carolina keeps you in the Southeast if you don't want to stay in the same general area.  

ps- grassyone and lizking where in Indy did/do you guys live (I know someone mentioned Broad Ripple, have you always lived there?)  I grew up in Indianapolis lived there from second grade through High School.  Cool town to grow up in.
yeah, so if it's sad, well you still gotta live till ya die

Kel

QuoteI love Chicago, but it is fairly expensive to live in.

Compared to cities alike in size, Chicago is actually not all that expensive.  My friend has a huge apartment, probably about 1000 sq. ft (maybe more) for $825 in Logan Square.  Another has an apartment for $750 in Wicker Park.  Both nice apartments.  The one that's $750 isn't big at all but it's a good size for one person.  I guess you can find deals in ANY city, as long as you give it a good look.

I think it's also one of the coolest cities in the United States (that I've seen) - I would tell anyone to move here in a heartbeat.  However, the winters are brutal.  If you don't like snow, cold or rain, don't move here.  

If you want to stay somewhere warm, I suggest South Carolina, Atlanta, maybe San Diego.  I love visiting California, it's just not the best place to live (no offense to anyone on here that may live there).  If you're a transplant that isn't trying to get into the "industry" in Los Angeles, you'll probably get sick of it soon.  However, CA has In N Out, the Apple Pan, the Counter.  All fantastic burger places.  hehe.

Sorry about your breakup.  I don't know if you knew it was coming at all, but either way, it's got to be tough.  Keep your head up and know that things always get better.  Sounds cheesy, but that's what I try to do every day.

LizKing531

QuoteRccola, I'm really sorry to hear about the breakup.  As far as moving goes, I'll mention the places I know and like best.  If i was going for a big city kind of thing I think I'd like Chicago, that's where my girl is from and we might be moving there at some point in the future.  I currently live in North Carolina, and the two coolest towns in this state are Chapel Hill and Asheville.  Chapel Hill has a great music scene (great music clubs and a number of cool, now defunct indie bands (e.g., superchunk, polvo, kinxbury manx, archers of loaf, etc.) and just a cool college town in general).  Aheville is a cool sort of Hippie town (reminds me of Boulder Colorado, another cool town by the way but ultra expensive) and it's situated in the mountains and is very beautiful.  Coming to North Carolina keeps you in the Southeast if you don't want to stay in the same general area.  

ps- grassyone and lizking where in Indy did/do you guys live (I know someone mentioned Broad Ripple, have you always lived there?)  I grew up in Indianapolis lived there from second grade through High School.  Cool town to grow up in.

I lived near greenwood - southeast side of town.  You?  Where did you go to high school?

bowl of soup

I'd second Asheville.  Small city in the mountains with a very cool vibe.  One of America's greatest examples of excess; the Biltmore, is also there.  I have to admit that it is impressive.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

GrassyOne

I grew up in Muncie and Carmel, but have lived in Broad Ripple for more than 9 years now. Moved to Indy pretty much right after college.

How about you, Chris?
Come to the dark side...we have cookies.

chris

I grew up on what I think was the North side of Indianapolis (at the intersection of 91st and Ditch rd).  I went to Brebeuf (would have gone to North Central like my brother but didn't for various reasons).  Moved away in 1989.  My grandfather still lives there in a retirement community and I go visit him a couple of times per year.

GrassyOne

Yeah, that's definitely north side, Chris!  91st and Ditch is a great area. Glad you still get up this way on occasion!

1989 was a very good year. It's when I graduated from high school. It was forever ago though. I'm old.  :-/

chris

Hey grassy, I graduated in '88 so don't go callin me old  ;).  Yeah, where did you go to college and is that what brought you to Indy?  If I ever move with my girlfriend to Chicago i figure I'll be in the same part of the country as I grew up, just in a much larger city with a lot more to do, but it would be cool to get back down to indy sometimes (I'd conceivably move back to indy, but my girlfriend would scoff at that idea, she's a southside of chicago girl and won't compromise)

TEO

QuoteI grew up on what I think was the North side of Indianapolis (at the intersection of 91st and Ditch rd).  I went to Brebeuf (would have gone to North Central like my brother but didn't for various reasons).  Moved away in 1989.  My grandfather still lives there in a retirement community and I go visit him a couple of times per year.

One of my best friends graduated from Brebeuf in '76.   :)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

GrassyOne

Love all the peeps reppin' the 317!  You guys rock.

Chris, I went to Ball State--graduated in '93. Lived in Carmel before that, so I was pretty set on Indy post-graduation. I wanted to move to Chicago last year, but met my bf and he lives here too. We both are pretty happy in Indy, but are certainly willing to move.

TEO--Good to see someone else who knows a friend from 'Nap town!  Sounds like everyone went to Brebeuf but me!   :P