Miles Davis   R.I.P

Started by rccola71, Sep 28, 2007, 09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBigChicken

damn it's hard to believe one of the coolest cats of ALL Time has been dead 16 years today...gonna have to call up The Chief and break out my copy of The Birth of the Cool 8-)
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

ratsprayer

"I know what I've done for music, but don't call me a legend. Just call me Miles Davis."

fuck yeah, THEE coolest cat ever.

fitzcarraldo

Word. Gonna dial up Kind of Blue on my way to Chipotle.

megisnotreal

i am thinking... bitches brew

and then... water babies

TheBigChicken

chick corea....john mc laughlin... :D

red

"I figure if horses can eat green shit and be strong and run like motherfuckers, why shouldn't I?"

ratsprayer

Quote"I figure if horses can eat green shit and be strong and run like motherfuckers, why shouldn't I?"

i was actually looking for that quote, but i couldn't find it.

classic.

red

So I own (and adore) Kind of Blue.  I know Bitches Brew and Sketches of Spain are amazing, but what else do I need from this legend?

Gripe

QuoteSo I own (and adore) Kind of Blue.  I know Bitches Brew and Sketches of Spain are amazing, but what else do I need from this legend?

It depends what you're after. If you want jazz/rock stuff like Bitches Brew, another good one (although more frenetic/loud/aggressive) is Live/Evil. If you like that and want more from the electric Miles era, basically anything from 1969-1975 is worth picking up. In the straighter jazz vein, Milestones is a good one and includes some guy named John Coltrane.

dragonboy

I own Birth Of Cool, Miles Ahead, Porgy & Bess, Kind Of Blue, Sketches Of Spain & In A Silent Way & love them all.
Need to buy Bitches Brew...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Coltrane

if pissin' your pants is cool, then just call me Miles Davis!
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

ratsprayer

QuoteSo I own (and adore) Kind of Blue.  I know Bitches Brew and Sketches of Spain are amazing, but what else do I need from this legend?

pretty much everything up to and including BITCHES BREW is essential.  i personally love the rock fusion 70s miles davis stuff, but it's his most difficult for sure.  some of my faves from the 60s are IN A SILENT WAY, SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME, MILES IN THE SKY, and FILLES DE KILMINJARO.

ycartrob

A Tribute to Jack Johnson (1970) is pretty experimental and off the hook and it rocks. 2 songs. Guests on the album include: John McLaughlin, Billy Cobham, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Bennie Maupin, and Dave Holland.

TheBigChicken

damn good call T that's one serious album...a friend turned me on to it years ago 8-)...oh by the way do we call you Tracy or Big Grasshopper ;D ;D ;D

ycartrob

Quotedamn good call T that's one serious album...a friend turned me on to it years ago 8-)...oh by the way do we call you Tracy or Big Grasshopper ;D ;D ;D

whatever fits, just don't call me late to dinner...

red

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to getting tons o' Miles.  Still kicking myself for not buying a GIANT wall poster of him that I saw a couple years ago.  It was so bad-ass.  

Went to the library and took out Bitches Brew (needed a fix while I wait for my copy to arrive) and I think I've adopted "Miles Runs Down the Voodoo Down" as my new theme song.  I told a friend of mine tonight that I'd like to conceive my first child to that song.  She was mortified.   ;D

ratsprayer

Went to the library and took out Bitches Brew (needed a fix while I wait for my copy to arrive) and I think I've adopted "Miles Runs Down the Voodoo Down" as my new theme song.  I told a friend of mine tonight that I'd like to conceive my first child to that song.  She was mortified.   ;D

i like the way you think.  that's my favourite track from BITCHES BREW.