The NFL Thread - 2007-08 style!!!

Started by aMD, Aug 12, 2007, 10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

QuoteYou mean Chad?

Shit, I meant Chad.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

aMD

Say something about the Bengals defense!!!  :P ;D :P ;D

Tracy, you got any articles you want to share with me about the Bengals defense?

If they can iron out their problems on offense (injured O line, poor play-calling) it's gonna be a great season!

BH, I don't know what you're big problem with Chad is. He's a lot of talk but it's all in good fun.  kinda like this thread! :)

ycartrob

Tracy, you got any articles you want to share with me about the Bengals defense?

Bungles D? lol    good grief homer, that had to be one of the worst football games I have ever seen. 6 turnovers by the Ravens (and a dropped TD pass by Heap) and the Bungles eek out a 7 point win, at home, on opening night....

sort of flattering that you ran to me, a Saints fan, to gloat about such a "big win"!

Congratulations!  ;D   You go boy!

red

I need the Cards to win by 4 or more points and I'll have $49.50 more than I do right now.  I love scrounging coin and government sponsored sports betting!

aMD

Bungles D? lol    good grief homer, that had to be one of the worst football games I have ever seen. 6 turnovers by the Ravens (and a dropped TD pass by Heap) and the Bungles eek out a 7 point win, at home, on opening night....

sort of flattering that you ran to me, a Saints fan, to gloat about such a "big win"!

Congratulations!  ;D   You go boy!

It WAS a big win.  Divisional foe on Monday night, it doesn't get much bigger than that in the regular season.  

And give my boys some credit.  The BENGALS DEFENSE HAD 6 TAKEAWAYS!  The reason I'm gloating to you in particular is that you seemed to think the Bengals D was in trouble during the preseason, but I believe I was my team who had 6 takeaways and a defense touchdown and your team that gave up 41 points.

Sure they should have won by more, but it's a W.  I'd rather eek out a win on opening night than have my ass handed to me on opening night.  Not much you can say about that.  But you're a saints fan, so I'm sure you're an expert at making excuses for your shitty team.

ycartrob

The reason I'm gloating to you in particular is that you seemed to think the Bengals D was in trouble during the preseason, but I believe I was my team who had 6 takeaways and a defense touchdown and your team that gave up 41 points.

Sure they should have won by more, but it's a W.  I'd rather eek out a win on opening night than have my ass handed to me on opening night.  Not much you can say about that.  But you're a saints fan, so I'm sure you're an expert at making excuses for your shitty team.

Steve McNair on the road is a much better QB than Peyton Manning at home; You got me there...

the bungles were 30th last year in total defense. 30th. Out of 32 teams. And you gloat to me b/c I think your D is suspect? 30th. And you are wondering why I think your D is suspect? 30th! (get it? it's not just me, homer). There may have been a few others (oh, I don't know, the whole NFL) who thinks your D is suspect. At some point, reality needs to set in that it's not just big bad me saying your D sux; it's a cold, hard fact. 30th. Only a moron would not supsect that the bungles d is sub-par. It's not personal man, it's called 3rd worst defense in the NFL last year. Give me a break.

Secondly, I have been watching the Saints lose football games before you were on this planet and have taken more shit about the Saints than you can dream about. So keep coming to me b/c it's totally flattering. I went years without anyone caring about the Saints, so keep coming homer, I'm liking this! You're like a little kid running up to his dad showing off the C+ he made on his big test. I am so proud of you son!

;D ;D

knotcameloose

Would've been a great first week in the NFL if it wasn't for that hit in Buffalo.

Wonderful last-second games, some upsets and surprises, lots of intrigue going on this year.  We'll see how it all shakes out...I still like the Texans as a sleeper to make the playoffs now that they have Schaub going good.  TN and Jax aren't that good, I think Houston can slip in behind Indy.

aMD

The reason I'm gloating to you in particular is that you seemed to think the Bengals D was in trouble during the preseason, but I believe I was my team who had 6 takeaways and a defense touchdown and your team that gave up 41 points.

Steve McNair on the road is a much better QB than Peyton Manning at home; You got me there...

the bungles were 30th last year in total defense. 30th. Out of 32 teams. And you gloat to me b/c I think your D is suspect? 30th. And you are wondering why I think your D is suspect? 30th! (get it? it's not just me, homer). There may have been a few others (oh, I don't know, the whole NFL) who thinks your D is suspect. At some point, reality needs to set in that it's not just big bad me saying your D sux; it's a cold, hard fact. 30th. Only a moron would not supsect that the bungles d is sub-par. It's not personal man, it's called 3rd worst defense in the NFL last year. Give me a break.

Secondly, I have been watching the Saints lose football games before you were on this planet and have taken more shit about the Saints than you can dream about. So keep coming to me b/c it's totally flattering. I went years without anyone caring about the Saints, so keep coming homer, I'm liking this! You're like a little kid running up to his dad showing off the C+ he made on his big test. I am so proud of you son!

;D ;D

I've explained to you before why the Total Defense stat its bullshit, because it doesn't factor in takeaways.  Takeaways are a good thing.  They win football games.  If you can't understand that, then I think I know who the moron is.  Besides that was last season, live in the now.

Sure, other people talk smack about the Bengals D, but I'd say the same thing to them if they were on this message board talking smack. The whole league also said that the Colts defense was suspect last year, but it was good enough for them to win a super bowl, so I'm not sweating what the haters.  

You can keep calling me a homer, but you're the one who picked your saints to beat the colts and then made excuses for them after they got beat 41-10!

Sounds like you gave yourself a break, but don't expect any from me.

TEO

QuoteHomer: A media member or fan who demonstrates little objectivity when assessing the local teams/players. They often cheerlead and are bias.

Blind Homer: A media member or fan who defends the local teams no matter what the circumstances are. Always gives the locals the benefit of the doubt and is an apologist for their poor performance. Uses superlatives to describe coaches or players.

there's a website to minnesota sports homers in the media.

check it: http://homersota.com/

i would say packer fans are mostly blind homers, most of my family lives in Milwaukee so i see first hand.  oh and i cheer for the pack when they play the vikings, i wore a cheesehead to the bars until people stole it and ripped it up.

Thanks! I just thought it was some dumbass like Homer Simpson until now. Man I am going to "slip" not having a teenager in the house. It is up to the rest of you all to keep me going!  
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

corey

Quotehttp://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-everetthurt&prov=ap&type= lgns

Read this link again. It's been updated and they're saying that he may walk again.
Great news.

In totally unrelated news, no one has mentioned that Russell FINALLY signed with the Raiders.

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ManNamedTruth

So the Partiots are cheaters? Doesn't surprise me. [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

.Walt

QuoteSo the Partiots are cheaters? Doesn't surprise me. [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

you know i'm a huge pats fan now. (thats right i've been a fan for 4 months, and already consider myself a die hard fan)

actually i DO like pitt. i love cold weather teams.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

ManNamedTruth

QuoteSo the Partiots are cheaters? Doesn't surprise me. [smiley=thumbdown.gif]

you know i'm a huge pats fan now. (thats right i've been a fan for 4 months, and already consider myself a die hard fan)

actually i DO like pitt. i love cold weather teams.

>:( ;)
it looks like they have some solid evidence against the pats. i do epect Roger Goodell to lay down the law.

knotcameloose

Quotehttp://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-everetthurt&prov=ap&type= lgns

In totally unrelated news, no one has mentioned that Russell FINALLY signed with the Raiders.

All these holdouts, what a fucking joke.  Russell won't even sign until after the season starts?  
You know he's a cancer for the team, only thinking about himself, only listening to his agent...
He'll never go anywhere.  What a waste of a pick.  

Even guys that hold out for over a week, it's like come on, don't you want to play?  Isn't that what this is about?  Even guys like Reevis and Quinn, who took a while but did sign, that's just a slap in the face to the rest of the team...if I was an owner I wouldn't put up with this shit.  If you aren't there the first day of camp, see ya later chump.

They are the ones making the investment though, so I feel them on getting screwed.  But still.

I don't get it.

Jon T.

I use to feel the same way and with some people I still feel that way.  BUT, there is a lot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes with the signings.  Al Davis has got to be the most corrupt owner in all of sports and he's trying to sign a multi year deal with Jamarcus Russell. And of course Russell wants to get whats best for him.  I think one of the issues with RUssell was an injury clause saying if he gets hurt he'll be compensated anyway.  From what I've read Jamarcus RUssell's uncle who is his advsor told the Raiders before he was even drafted that if they were'nt willing to offer that(which is pretty standard) then don't draft him.  THe Raiders agreed and then reneged.  Of course, this could all just be Russell's spin too but I'll believe him over AL Davis anyday.  

Taterbug

Bill Belichick should be suspended for 6 games and forfeit 1st thru  3rd picks in next years draft.  He should also be publicly humiliated, maybe duck taped to the goal post so Pats fans can smack the shit out of him for being an A-HOLE.
GO CHARGERS    ( it pains me badly to root for San Diego, being a Bears  fan and all. )  But I really dislike cheaters, and Tom Brady  :).
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

ManNamedTruth

QuoteBill Belichick should be suspended for 6 games and forfeit 1st thru  3rd picks in next years draft.  He should also be publicly humiliated, maybe duck taped to the goal post so Pats fans can smack the shit out of him for being an A-HOLE.
GO CHARGERS    ( it pains me badly to root for San Diego, being a Bears  fan and all. )  But I really dislike cheaters, and Tom Brady  :).

[smiley=thumbup.gif]

ManNamedTruth

thanks for the article, meg

PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Steelers have known for years their fan base included countless women - that was evidenced by all the pink official team jerseys they sell and the hundreds who attend their female training camp each summer.

Yes, more than 300 women spend money each year to go through a simulated day of Steelers training camp, replete with blocking and running drills and a trip to the training table. The club also sponsors a Football Knowledge for Women classroom-type course.

Now the Steelers have proof that, when it comes to building a female fan base, Pittsburgh does it better than any other NFL market.

According to a Scarborough Sports Marketing survey of 220,354 residents in 75 United States markets conducted last year, Pittsburgh has, by far, the largest base of NFL fans who are women.

Pittsburgh is the runaway leader, with 34 percent of the women living in the Steelers' market identifying themselves as fans. Green Bay was second with 29.4 percent, but no other market surveyed had even one-quarter of its women identify themselves as fans.

Buffalo was third with 23.7 percent, followed by Cincinnati (22.8 percent), Kansas City (22.4 percent), Jacksonville (21.7 percent), Baltimore and Boston (21.5 percent) and Denver, Tampa-St. Petersburg and Washington, D.C. (20.9 percent).

Nationally, the average was 16 percent, which means that Pittsburgh has more than twice the number of female pro football fans than the average market, based on the survey's results.