NCAA Football 2007-2008

Started by AngryEwok, Aug 26, 2007, 11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

I didn't even go to Ohio State so how could I have any emotional investment in the game?  

but seriously, why is it that people keep on trying to argue that I'm not a true fan?  Is it because their teams aren't as good as mine? must be.  :)

I'm a little bit confused.  I don't really care that you didn't go to Ohio State, as I didn't go to UNC...but I have PLENTY of emotional investment tied with them as I've been raised to live and die by Carolina basketball.  I don't see how you CAN'T have emotional investment with your #1 team, whether it be in baseball or soccer or whatever.  C'mon.  Be emotional.  It's all the rage 8-)

I'm just being coy because Tracy says I'm not a real fan of OSU because I didn't graduate from there.  Just pointing out the absurdity of that comment.

EasyE,  the only thing I disagree with is when you said when my team loses I don't say much.  They lost last night and I think I've been quite outspoken. The only other time they lost this season I may not have posted but I don't think that makes me a "bad" fan.  Respect.

I'll direct you to what a real Ohio State fan feels about bandwagon fans. Hell, I'll take everything back I said about bandwagon fans, just check out the 40 second mark and listen to how a Ohio State fan feels about bandwagoners, he says it a lot better than I ever could. Go cry to this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrekA-H4-XQ&feature=related

aMD

I didn't even go to Ohio State so how could I have any emotional investment in the game?  

but seriously, why is it that people keep on trying to argue that I'm not a true fan?  Is it because their teams aren't as good as mine? must be.  :)

I'm a little bit confused.  I don't really care that you didn't go to Ohio State, as I didn't go to UNC...but I have PLENTY of emotional investment tied with them as I've been raised to live and die by Carolina basketball.  I don't see how you CAN'T have emotional investment with your #1 team, whether it be in baseball or soccer or whatever.  C'mon.  Be emotional.  It's all the rage 8-)

I'm just being coy because Tracy says I'm not a real fan of OSU because I didn't graduate from there.  Just pointing out the absurdity of that comment.

EasyE,  the only thing I disagree with is when you said when my team loses I don't say much.  They lost last night and I think I've been quite outspoken. The only other time they lost this season I may not have posted but I don't think that makes me a "bad" fan.  Respect.

I'll direct you to what a real Ohio State fan feels about bandwagon fans. Hell, I'll take everything back I said about bandwagon fans, just check out the 40 second mark and listen to how a Ohio State fan feels about bandwagoners, he says it a lot better than I ever could. Go cry to this guy:

Oh yeah.  That guy on youtube was so eloquent! Proves nothing but the fact that you're grasping for straws to back up your absurd assertion.    

ycartrob

Oh yeah.  That guy on youtube was so eloquent! Proves nothing but the fact that you're grasping for straws to back up your absurd assertion.    

Showing a clip from Buckeye TV is grasping at straws? That's an Ohio State student from Buckeye TV (you know, Buckeye TV, the freaking student run TV station on the campus of Ohio State University) saying if you didn't go to Ohio State then he doesn't want to speak to you. He is making THE EXACT POINT I was making. That Ohio State student and Buckeye TV are telling YOU to back off from their team and they could really give a shit about what you think of THEIR Buckeyes. If you don't get it, you'll never get it.

I guess nothing short of digging up Woody Hayes' body and getting him to tell you that you're a bandwagoner will prove my point. Good grief man, you're a true piece of work.

aMD

Showing a clip from Buckeye TV is grasping at straws? That's an Ohio State student from Buckeye TV (you know, Buckeye TV, the freaking student run TV station on the campus of Ohio State University) saying if you didn't go to Ohio State then he doesn't want to speak to you. He is making THE EXACT POINT I was making. That Ohio State student and Buckeye TV are telling YOU to back off from their team. If you don't get it, you'll never get it.

I guess nothing short of digging up Woody Hayes' body and getting him to tell you that you're a bandwagoner will prove my point. Good grief man, you're a true piece of work.

Yes, you are gasping at straws.  So far everyone who's weighed in on this topic of "bandwagon" fans has agreed with me so I don't feel the need to beat this horse any further.  

My question to you is: if I'm a piece of work, what does that make you?

If you wanna talk about pathetic let's about a 43 year old man watching clips of OSU student TV on youtube to prove that someone he's never meet isn't properly qualified to root for their favorite team.  You, my friend, are a piece of... shit i mean, work.

ycartrob

amd, you're really not taking this Ohio State loss as well as I thought you would.

maybe next year...

you know, I can talk smack to eveyone here on the board, and I send them PM's to check in just to double check that we're talking smack, but you really are upset and taking this personal. Sort of takes some of the fun out of it.

I think I'm ready to go down the ignore amd path again, it's just not working out.

Peace

aMD

Quoteamd, you're really not taking this Ohio State loss as well as I thought you would.

maybe next year...

you know, I can talk smack to eveyone here on the board, and I send them PM's to check in just to double check that we're talking smack, but you really are upset and taking this personal. Sort of takes some of the fun out of it.

I think I'm ready to go down the ignore amd path again, it's just not working out.

Peace

awww, that's a shame!

Angry Ewok

QuoteYou can say all you want about OSU but nothing can change the fact the they are a better team than yours, with a better record, more accolades, and a better winning tradition.

Traditionally? Historically? For an Ohio State spectator, (assuming you've actually been to a game), you don't seem to know much about "your team," buddy.

How about this for an "accolade"...
Alabama has 12 National Titles.
Ohio State has 5.

Better record, you say?
Alabama is 787–314–43 (.706)...
Ohio State is 798–302–53 (.692)

"A better winning tradition"?!?!? You smoking some buckeye, dude?!
Alabama has 28 10-win seasons.
Ohio State has 17.
Alabama is 31-21 in bowl games... NCAA record for appearances and victories.
Ohio State is 18–20. NCAA record losses against the SEC.
Alabama is ahead of rival Auburn = 38-33-1
Ohio State is behind rival Michigan = 41-57-6

QuoteSo what is it Ewok Ohio State can't make excuses about rebuilding but Bama can.  I guess that's what happens when Ohio State is in a class above Bama, as you said.

The two teams aren't even remotely comparable this season, which is what makes your tirades around here so fantastically funny to so many people. You were good comic relief for a while, and I was, too, but damn, dude, you've sort of gone pyscho on us in the past 24 hours. You're calling me an idiot and an asshole, and calling Tracy a piece of shit? Are you for real? If you're such a sore loser now, I'd hate to see what you're like when you've actually got a dog in the fight.

Anyway... What it boils down to is that "your" "#1one!!!11" team gets humiliated by yet another SEC team after you painted yourself (with size 42-fonts) into a corner all season long, and all you can come up with is "Alabama sucks!!!"?... Is that supposed to distract everyone from the 34-17 whipping the Buckeyes took on National TV last night? Comparing your 11-2 team to a 7-6 Independence bowl team?

As far as my "hypocritical" statement that Alabama can use the rebuilding excuse but Ohio State can't...

I could go on and on about Alabama being fresh off of a five year long sanction and bowl game ban that cost us something like 25 scholarships, and I could go on and on about Alabama having had more coaches in 5 years than Ohio State has had National Championships in 120 years, but here's the key difference between 11-2 Ohio State's "rebuilding year" and 7-6 Alabama's true rebuilding year =

"Your" head coach has been at Ohio State for nine years. This is Coach Saban's first.

Boy, I hope you're still an Ohio State fan in about four or five years.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Bam_Bam

Man...that was...something else.
[url="//www.myspace.com/wearemurals"]www.myspace.com/wearemurals[/url]

TEO

I will respectfully fill in for rats, good show guys!  :)
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

aMD

Ewok, that rant wasn't necessary because we agree. your team doesn't belong in the same conversation as mine because mine is so much better.  you adding excuses upon excuses of why that is the case is only adding to the comic nature of this thread.

and you need to check your math on the records.  Where I come from more wins and less loses equals a better record, I don't know where you're getting those percentages from, but i fixed them for you.

Alabama is 787–314–43 (.715)
Ohio State is 798–302–53 (.725)

good try tho.

No hard feelings ewok. i don't really think you're an idiot or an asshole.  I think you are blindly committed to your team which is respectable to some degree.  I just don't like when visit that blindness upon me and my team.

ycartrob

QuoteI will respectfully fill in for rats, good show guys!  :)

rrraaaazzzzaaaaaarrrrrr sharp!

Angry Ewok

QuoteAlabama is 787–314–43 (.706)

QuoteAlabama is 787–314–43 (.715)
Ohio State is 798–302–53 (.725)

Hey, even teachers make arithmetic mistakes... I yanked the original quote from wiki and didn't second guess it. My bad.

You're wrong, though... To figure an overall win percentage, you take the team's total number of games and divide by the wins. You didn't add the tied games, I think, which are essentially loses.

Alabama is 787–314–43
787 + 314 + 43 = 1144
787/1144 = 0.687

Ohio State is 798–302–53
798 + 302+53 = 1153
798/1153 = 0.692

I was off by a three hundredth or something, I'm sorry.

Alabama is 787–314–43 (.687)

Angry Ewok

Can we all agree that we hate LSU fans???

mjkoehler

QuoteCan we all agree that we hate LSU fans???

I do not know about their fans in general, but that smarmy ass on the right side of the picture looks like he needs a good ass kickin!

aMD

OK. we can agree on that.   :)

Jon T.

I do not know about their fans in general, but that smarmy ass on the right side of the picture looks like he needs a good ass kickin!

HA!

I bet when that dude goes to espn.com this morning he's gonna think, "fuck me, do I really look like that?"

mjkoehler

HA!

I bet when that dude goes to espn.com this morning he's gonna think, "fuck me, do I really look like that?"

Nah. I bet he goes "Look at me, I'm the shit!"

BH

MIZZOU FIINISHES #1 IN THE NATION!

Following are the teams eligible for the NCAA Football National Championship

(As determined by the Hermann method.  The most logical of all systems.)

Only teams with one or two losses are eligible.

Team               Record

Hawaii               12-1

Kansas             12-1

Missouri            12-2

LSU                  12-2

Georgia             11-2

USC                 11-2

Ohio State         11-2

West Virginia     11-2

BYU                 11-2

First of all, Hawaii proved that they are no Boise State.   They were way overmatched the first time they had a chance to play a top 10 team.  So they are out.  I don't think anyone would argue this fact.

Second of all, Missouri easily beat KU on a neutral field by a wide margin and therefore Kansas must be eliminated.

We now must determine, out of the remaining seven teams with two losses who is the best team.  Head to Head does not work.  Very few of these teams played each other and even when they did, it doesn't really prove anything because you just end up going in circles.   For example, Mizzou beat Arkansas who beat LSU who beat Ohio State but lost to Georgia etc, etc.  

So all we can really do is compare the overall body of work of each team and determine a winner.  We will do this by determining who had the "best" losses.   This will be a simple formula of adding together the rankings of the teams that each eligible team lost to, and whoever has the lowest number is the champion.  Simple, eh?

Team         Record           Loss #1(Rank)            Loss #2 (Rank)              Total

Missouri           12-2              Oklahoma(8)                  Oklahoma(8)                  16

Ohio State        11-2              Illinois(20)                      LSU(1)                          21

LSU                 12-2              Kentucky(28)                 Arkansas(31)                 59

Georgia            11-2             South Carolina(47)         Tennessee(12)               59

BYU                 11-2              UCLA(58)                      Tulsa(36)                       94

West Virginia    11-2              South Florida(35)           Pittsburgh(72)                107

USC                11-2              Stanford(104)                Oregon(23)                    127

As you can see it's really not even close.  Just try and argue with me.   ;) Does the BCS system make more sense than this?  I don't think so.

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

sweatboard

What you aren't factoring in is the fact that both losses for LSU and Georgia came against other S.E.C. teams, and I think we've already determined that it can't be argued that the S.E.C. is by far a supperior confrence.  

;)
There's Still Time.........

LizKing531

Is this the thread where they're killing babies & kicking puppies?

...............nope just talking college football

;D :o ::) :P :-* :-/ :'(