The Official Final Four Thread

Started by primushead, Apr 03, 2008, 09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

primushead

We can formally anoint the winner of our Bracket on the other thread after the Championship game, but I thought that THIS Final Four deserves it's own thread.

After all, four #1 SEEDS ARE PLAYING.  This is HUGE.  Not only that, but all of the side stories that are developing/can possibly develop are incredible.

Besides the obvious Kansas vs. UNC or Roy vs. Lawrence or whatever bout, we're going to get to watch arguably the best two freshmen (excluding Beasley) face off with the Love/Rose matchup.  And looking ahead, it could potentially be a battle of the big men (if all works out) with Kevin versus Tyler!!!

And, did I mention, that the bracket NOW is:

#1 vs. #1   #1 vs. #1

!!?!?!?!?!?!?

I'm busting!!  This has been the longest wait for a sports event in my life in a while (since at least the 2005 NCAA tourney leadup).

Thoughts?!  Isn't college basketball the shit?!

ycartrob

This will be a very memorable Final 4 and a wonderful finale
to another great tournament. 9 combined losses for all teams!

I'll be rooting for Memphis to bring it all home, but I really don't
have a dog in the hunt, just want to see some more great college
basketball.

You know, back in the old days, the losers of the Saturday games
would play before the Championship game for 3rd place. They should
reinstate that this year (the last time they did it was in  1981).

So, in honor of the Final 4, here's some of my all time, old school
favorites from the tournament:

David Thompson - NC State- 1974

Ricky Green - Michigan - 1976

Cedric "Cornbread" Maxwell - UNCC - 1977

Butch Lee - Marquette - 1977

Butch Lee with Coach Al McGuire - 1977

Sydney Moncrief - Arkansas - 1978

Jack "Goose" Givens - Kentucky - 1978

Mark Aguirre - DePaul - 1979

Darrell Griffith "Dr. Dunkenstein" - Louisville - 1980

bowl of soup

Should be a good one.

The finest basketball moment ever
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

BH

I am pretty psyched to watch the NC/KU game.  So many story lines in that game.  Tyler is a local kid.  Plus the Big 12/KU/Roy Williams/Bill Self from Illinois thing.   Part of me wants the Big 12 to do well, but I can't root for KU so I'm hoping for a Memphis/NC championship.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

primushead

And on the eve of the Final Four, the AP names Mr. Hansbrough its NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR!  Congrats!  It is much deserved.

pawpaw

QuoteIsn't college basketball the shit?!

Yes, college basketball is the shit. To tell you the truth, I really don't watch much college ball during the regular season, would generally rather sit down to watch an NBA game if I have free time and there's something good on. BUT, I've always thought that the NCAA Men's Basketball Chamionship Tournament is THE BEST SPORTING EVENT IN THE WORLD.

I still have a chance in this thing too! GO BRUINS!!!

And Tracy, great collection of pictures!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

ycartrob

And Tracy, great collection of pictures!

Thanks! I grew up pretending to be each of those guys, at some point, working it out on the driveway bball goal.

Taterbug

I miss the old shorts  and socks pulled up to my knees.  They should bring that look back.  :)
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

primushead

Memphis up by 3 at the half.

And can we get some love for the UCLA cheerleaders?  HUBBA! :o

primushead

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!?!?

This is the worst display of baskeball I've ever seen.  Ever.  I'm crawling into a bottle...good luck the rest of the way Kansas :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

The DARK

In another time, in another place, in another face

sweatboard

Hey look, they're right back in it.  12points is nothing with this much time.  Perk up GGG.  I'm sad I missed the UCLA cheerleaders.  
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

I seriously think there might be something wrong with the rim on that one side of the court.  
There's Still Time.........

Jaimoe

Terrible games tonight. I'm glad there was other sports on to flip to.

The DARK

In another time, in another place, in another face

Jaimoe

4 #1 seeds in a Final Four = Who gives a fuck?

ycartrob

Quote4 #1 seeds in a Final Four = Who gives a fuck?

so, umm, why comment on the Official Final 4 Thread if you don't give a fuck? Do you go to every thread that you could give a shit about an express your disinterest?

I've been watching the tourney since the mid 70's and thorougly enjoyed the games tonight from start to finish. However, I gave a fuck.

ycartrob

Quote I'm sad I missed the UCLA cheerleaders. 

Jaimoe

Quote4 #1 seeds in a Final Four = Who gives a fuck?

so, umm, why comment on the Official Final 4 Thread if you don't give a fuck? Do you go to every thread that you could give a shit about an express your disinterest?

I've been watching the tourney since the mid 70's and thorougly enjoyed the games tonight from start to finish. However, I gave a fuck.

And I've been watching the tourney since 1980 and love it and "give a fuck". The tournament this year was great until the Final Four. I can't get too jacked to cheer #1 vs #1 and #1 vs #1, especially by the likes of UNC and UCLA. Part of the fun of the tournament is to cheer for the small schools or the underdog. I hope the final is a good game though, even if I don't care who wins.

primushead

Well, we came back within 5 and I really thought we had a shot, but I guess the basketball Gods weren't shining on us.  

Oh well.  Great season anyway, it just kind of sucks to go out like this.

Hopefully the entire starting lineup will be back next year because NONE looked NBA calibar last night.

I think I'm going to pull for Memphis the rest of the way.   They've earned to right to win their first national championship.