This American Life

Started by bowl_of_soup, Apr 13, 2008, 12:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowl of soup

I used to listen everyday for lunch, but I lost it when Sirius changed their public radio offerings.  I now have it back since I figured out the ole IPOD - they give it to you free on Itunes.  Story telling is largely a dead art, but this show manages to blow me away every week.  Brilliant.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Jenny

bowl of soup

Quoteagreed. favorites?

I remember one about the genesis of names of things.  There was a segment about the genesis of the name of "This American Life".  It was so funny that I shot my lunch out of my nose.  

There was another one where the author worked for Paul Harvey (allthough he was never mentioned by name), and he was inept at the job not because he couldn't do it, but because he was more interested in the actual truth rather than some uplifting portrait of America.  It was funny and it moved me - like most things I failed to get the author's name.

The one where the guy lost his mind and removed all of the walls from his house also stands out.  Just got through with this week's episode "Nobody's Family is Going to Change."  The born-again guy seems so sad to me.

Jenny

yeah - and the matching-outfit-70-year-old-sisters was a little... i don't want to say depressing... but...
the one on music lessons, too, i like a lot...

david sedaris' bits are often very funny.

bowl of soup

Quoteyeah - and the matching-outfit-70-year-old-sisters was a little... i don't want to say depressing... but...
the one on music lessons, too, i like a lot...

david sedaris' bits are often very funny.

Depressing, no - disturbing, yes.  They get their life from soaps?  Sunshine, people need sunshine.

Jenny

that's what i'm sayin'!
also - "what i should've said" (2.18.2005). really good.

bowl of soup

Allright, how do I get it?

Jenny

http://thisamericanlife.org/Radio_Archive.aspx?year=2008

you can't download them, but you can stream them online.
be sure to keep me posted if you find any more good ones!

bowl of soup

OK, so last night I stopped Arcade Fire to watch a Pixies documentary beacuse of Brian (and I am forever in his debt).  Tonight I shall stop Explosions in the Sky to listen to your suggested episode of TAL.  To hell with sleep.

bowl of soup

I've been searching - 2 that must be listened to:

9.26.2003 - The job that takes over your life.

12.16.2005 - Heretics

vespachick

I've been listening to TAL for many years.  God bless podcasting.  Today I went on a bus field trip with the local craft/art college to Seattle.  Listened to podcasts of the show the whole way up and back = a good 5+ shows.  Smiling the whole time.  I just wish Ira Glass would prounounce the "T" in "act".  In drives me CRAZY!!!!

By the way, if you're ever in Tacoma, the Glass Museum is a pretty great place to visit.  Hot guys with hot glass.
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

primushead

I'll catch it on NPR every now and then...I'm more partial to "Wait, wait, don't tell me!" though.

ycartrob

It's the perfect road trip elixir. On a Sunday, departing, somewhere mid way or perhaps close to your destination, when you are journeying with anticipation; or the return trip, late Sunday afternoon/early evening, work the next day, falling pensive and nostalgic, letting these stories guide your thoughts...

Jenny

ah, yes, heretics is really interesting...

bowl of soup

Quoteah, yes, heretics is really interesting...

It made me briefly consider religion.  Briefly.

MMJ_fanatic

This show and American Roots are the best of NPR, IMO
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.