Pimps are not cool

Started by ycartrob, Apr 30, 2008, 07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

OK, pimps are not cool. And neither is Scarface. Scarface got killed at a pretty young age and it was obvious that his life of violence and cocaine abuse was masking deep, inner pain.

So, no more saying that pimps are cool and no more Scarface glorification. And Tupac was a thug who also got shot at an early age for no really good reason other than some Jr High antics. And I saw Coolio on America's Funniest Home Videos and Ice-T is on some detective show and ISP was on WWF.

live strong and don't get shot at an early age for no good reason and don't think for 1 second that a pimp is cool.

ok

ManNamedTruth

QuoteOK, pimps are not cool. And neither is Scarface. Scarface got killed at a pretty young age and it was obvious that his life of violence and cocaine abuse was masking deep, inner pain.

So, no more saying that pimps are cool and no more Scarface glorification. And Tupac was a thug who also got shot at an early age for no really good reason other than some Jr High antics. And I saw Coolio on America's Funniest Home Videos and Ice-T is on some detective show and ISP was on WWF.

live strong and don't get shot at an early age for no good reason and don't think for 1 second that a pimp is cool.

ok

I understand your point, gangster movies are great entertainment but thats it. Scarface is a great movie, but slightly overrated due to rapper-gangster-wannabes worshipping it.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Angry Ewok

The crowd that tainted my appreciation of Scarface is the same crowd that bases its fashion on trends developed by prison rules. I don't see what's so cool about waddling around with your pants down to your knees, and I don't see what's hip about taking the laces out of your shoes. If anything, those modifications to normal dress only make it easier for police to incarcerate you (again).

Anyway, Scarface has excellent qualities that should be adored by people who can embrace all things 80's - music, dance, fashion, sense of irony, etc. Unfortunately, it's hard to really promote the film anymore to friends who haven't seen it, because everyone who hasn't seen the film is unaware that 90% of the film is totally lost on the audience that claims to love it.

I'm just glad the "thug life gangstas" can't sit through the two hours of dialogue it takes to get to the beefy, naughty parts of the Godfather... I don't know if I want to live in a world where the Corleone family portraits are airbrushed on oversized T-Shirts and novelty cartags, and all a sudden everyone raps about krystals and canolis.

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Jaimoe

Pimps are not cool at all, but I do love a good gangster film, whether it's produced in the States, Korea, Japan, Italy, France and Ireland. I love the classics just as much as modern gangster films. Not to be a film snob, but I prefer the original Scarface from 1932, directed by the amazing Howard Hawks. Paul Muni is one of the greatest actors of the early to mid 20th century, and his portrayal of bootlegger Tony Camonte is riveting. Scarface inspired Scorcese's Mean Streets and Good Fellas and just about every other serious American gangster film since. Also, Cagney's White Heat, Angels with Dirty Faces, The Roaring Twenties and The Public Enemy are all incredible. Cagney would bitch-slap Tony Montana. 

.Walt

i think thugs can get along...hell, i know they can!

man, record companies will do anything...
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

upstatestruggler

I tried to talk to my pimp about your feelings and he punched me up and down a flight of stairs.

too heavy for the hippies

fitzcarraldo

c'mon what about those soles? nice!   ;)

bluntmaster

I swear to God on my life my friend pimped this girl out a couple times.  he's really fucking awesome so I'd disagree that pimps are not cool.  but that is my only run in with a "true" pimp.

I didn't even know this forum existed, neat.