Where should I go?

Started by primushead, Mar 07, 2008, 08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

primushead

I've done it.  I've saved a couple grand, and I'm ready to move out of the parent's house, out of Asheville, and somewhere crazy.  Somewhere new.  Somewhere out of the state of North Carolina.

I don't want a 9-5 job/career yet.  I'm 23, single, and ready to branch out to a new chapter in my life.

I know it's such a broad question, but does anyone have any insight, or any suggestions on what would fit my criteria?  Does anyone want to join me in a quest for temporary nirvana?  

I'm looking for ANYTHING.  It could be as random as working on a boat in the Carribean, harvesting coconuts and selling bananas.  

I'm really open to anything.  Let's hear the responses!

pawpaw

This is what I'm seeing...

Get a job in the service industry, some place where there are a lot of other young people. The Carribean would work, like at a resort or something, but the ski industry also attracts a lot of young, seasonal workers. Move to Colorado...I have friends who have worked as lift ops in the winter, construction in the summer, lots of young people, in the Rockies...the transitory nature of the work and lifestyle makes for lots of partying. I know that Tahoe gets a lot of Aussie, South African and European folks (read: hot, foreign women) working seasonally...I imagine the Rocky states attract the same.

OR, if you just want to escape, move to Alaska. That place should give you something to think about. Not as many women up there, though I'm sure the ones you'll meet will be cool.

Don't move to an expensive city, not some place where you might have to work several jobs just to afford a closet of an apartment.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

BH

I hear Yorktown is nice.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

TEO

Get a job on a cruise ship!
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

.Walt

gregg, we're in the same situation. i'll be done with school this spring, and i too will be moving in with the folks to save some duckets. (for 6 weeks). i thought about places to live. Denver was my number one, until my buddy moved to seattle. his place is nicer than mine, and cheaper. the grass is green, and its in the 50's which is unheard of for this MN guy. it takes balls to move somewhere when you don't know anyone (i couldn't do it). there has to be some people you know, that live somewhere you want to live. right now, this is the best time of our lives. there's nothing holding us down.  plus you can always move back, and say you at least tried.

also if you're really thinking about something crazy, try the philippines. they speak english, and its dirt cheap to live there. you could get a maid for a month, for only $20 US. but that's how cheap it is there.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

primushead

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I'm gonna do SOMETHING by this summer, so I'll let you know what happens.

Walter, it's always good to hear that someone else in my shoes moves in with their parents.  Solidarity, brother. 8-)

EC

fun!
have you been overseas yet?  i would go to europe! :)
spend some time in the uk/ireland working under the table in pubs and hotels and then move over to the mainland.  might take a little planning, so maybe you could work in sc a bit more before the big move.

i would say there are four things in a certain year that changed my life immensely and going to europe was one of them.  i only had the chance to visit england/ireland/scotland, but plan on heading back soon to finish what i started. ;)

yep.  this def deserves a van halen lyrical moment in its entirety:

"Come on baby, finish what ya started
That aint no way to treat the broken hearted
If you wanna see other guys
Baby, I could let it slide
You wanna lover, you want a friend
Mama, I can be both of them
I got the tools to satisfy
Just walk away, if I fall shy at all
Come on baby, finish what you started
Im incomplete
I need some sympathy
I like to take each step, one by one
Right on time, you will arrive
By keepin the dream alive
Its alive and its kicking
Inside of me
So come on baby, please
Im incomplete
Come on and finish me
Baby, come on
Baby, come on"

that's what i would dooooooo

BH

Austin sounds like a great place to me, although I've never been there.

How about Santa Cruz, CA.  That's a cool little town.  Not quite as expensive as the rest of Northern Cali from what I understand.

I love Portland in the summertime.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

primushead

Portland, Oregon and slow gin fizz, if that ain't livin', then tell me what is...

Uh huh.

You've given me much to think about, especially with the lyrical moment (thanks meg)>

mjkoehler

I moved to St Louis from Omaha after graduation. I haven't regretted it since. The midwest is nice. Fairly inexpensive compared to the coasts(for the most part), and the housing market is better. No matter where you move to, make sure it's a place you like, they have the services you need, and you can afford it.

ycartrob

I'd go metropolitan. If I had to do it today, I would go into the plains of South Dakota or the coast of Maine, somewhere isolated, and just be.

but looking back on being in my 20's? I'd say San Francisco or New York or Boston or Seattle. Somewhere where it's a little intimidating, a little exciting and there's something to do 24/7 (plus, pro sports).

2 cents

primushead

Hawkeye

QuoteThanks for the suggestions everyone.  I'm gonna do SOMETHING by this summer, so I'll let you know what happens.

Walter, it's always good to hear that someone else in my shoes moves in with their parents.  Solidarity, brother. 8-)

I'm in the same boat guys  :-/  I'm 24, almost 25, been out of school since December '05, and living with the 'rents.  I have several issues with moving out right now.  
1)  I can barely afford my own apartment with $400-plus/month student loan payments, nor do I think I'd like living alone
2)  I have a new girlfriend, but it's too soon to move in together, plus moving in with my last girlfriend killed the relationship (after 5 months), and I don't want that to happen this time
3)  I am waiting for my girlfriend to finish school, which is either a good move (b/c we're totally good for each other) or a really, really, really stupid move (b/c I thought the same thing about my last girlfriend, although not as strongly, and that went up in flames)

Sooooo, we may move in together this summer, and when she's done with school I'm hoping to move somewhere at least for a year or two, and hopefully go to grad school for some type of chemistry degree, but at this point I'm still working my crappy $30,000/year job, living with my parents, and waiting until May '09 for my girlfriend to finish school  :-/  

That's alright I still got my guitar...look out baby!
We could.

Penny Lane

oh man to be that age again!!

i moved to vegas for 2 years by myself and then i transferred to NYC and didn't know a soul--it's the most liberating, scary feeling in the world.

i would suggest portland, OR, Seattle or Austin, TX---if you want to go to new england w/the same kind of feel as the pacific northwest, maybe try portland, ME?

i am done w/law school in 2 years and i'm considering getting back to the midwest or trying out charlottesville, VA or Louisville--somewhere w/a midwest feel yet a little more landscape than ohio
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

pawpaw

QuoteAustin sounds like a great place to me, although I've never been there.

How about Santa Cruz, CA.  That's a cool little town.  Not quite as expensive as the rest of Northern Cali from what I understand.

I love Portland in the summertime.

Santa Cruz is a great town. Surrounded by redwoods, on the beach, college town. Lots of hippies (which could be an attraction or deterrent). Also a little over an hour south of SF. Not really cheap compared to most places, but cheaper than Monterey or Santa Barbara and some other iconic CA coastal towns. Plus, I always thought it was the coolest name of any town.

Portland is a wonderful city. Midsize, relatively inexpensive, naturally beautiful, close to Mt. Hood and on the Columbia River, great beer. Summer is sublime, rains A LOT. I'd live there though, still might one day.

And yes, EC is right; spending an extended period of time traveling through, or even better, living in Europe will change your life. The UK or Ireland would be a good starting point to live and work (unless you speak another language). The tough thing about traveling to Europe right now is that the dollar is so weak. BUT, it is an amazing feeling to throw yourself out there and make it work.  
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

cmccubbin@work

in my summers during law school i worked jump crew for horse jumping competitions...we traveled all over the place and i was making $125-$150 per day for doing manual labor.  it was cake...and much partying!
If you're lucky, MMJ will fill the void you didn't even know you ever had. If you're luckier, you'll get to see them live.

Penny Lane

you can get a job as a nanny out in the hamptons er....a manny i mean
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

aMD

Do you know how to tune a guitar?  you could be a roadie!

Kimbos_Evil_Bread

if you're not into going to Europe or getting a teaching position in Japan or Korea then move up here to Boston or New York and become a bartender.  
[url="http://eastuntiltomorrow.blogspot.com/"]http://eastuntiltomorrow.blogspot.com/[/url]

[url="http://www.myspace.com/alanrobert"]http://www.myspace.com/alanrobert[/url]

primushead

QuoteDo you know how to tune a guitar?  you could be a roadie!

It's really been my dream to be someone's guitar tech.  I've been playing guitar/bass for 10 or 11 years now, so I could DEFINITELY tune a guitar for a few weeks (Jim?  Carl?  Are you reading this?)