How about changing how tickets are bought & sold?

Started by Jamiesommers, May 28, 2008, 04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbw

So get this... I want to see MMJ at RCMH. As we all know the tickets for this show sold out...how fast? anybody? It seems that Ticketmaster's partner site "ticketsNow" has prime seats available from $129 - $583 per ticket. They bought the pitt seats!!!

So while we are all discussing changing the music industry any suggestions for changing the practice of how much someone (ticketmaster or their affiliate TicketNow) can charge for a ticket. Does the band even see the extra amount charged for tickets that are double or triple or even more of the actual face value?  

bowl of soup

You are right on point with this - welcome.  This "partnering" with legitimized scalpers just seems so ripe for corruption.  Bigger acts are doing the same thing with Stub Hub.  How do we know that ticketmaster or acts that sell tickets directly aren't setting aside tickets to hot shows to sell through their "partners" at ridiculous prices?

PJ took a shot at ticketmaster, I wish more would follow suit.  It just seems so unneeded at this point.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

red

I love how Tom Waits' Glitter and Doom tickets were sold.  Granted, it's still through Ticketbastard (for the most part), but there's a limit of two per household.  The ticket purchaser must present their ID at the door shortly before the show opens and then their guest must accompany them in at that moment.  Essentially, it's will-call but with a slight twist.  It's the best anti-scalping plan I've heard of as of yet.  Let's just work it without Ticketbastard.

Taterbug

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

getinthevan

PJ took a shot at ticketmaster, I wish more would follow suit.  It just seems so unneeded at this point.

Yes, but they're also the ones who, at least on their last couple tours, have been charging over $50 per ticket.  
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place