Come back EC...

Started by Bigsky, Jun 09, 2008, 04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigsky

Please come back EC...don't let them win...you have friends here that want you to stay :)

Coltrane

We love you EC...........

:'(
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

megalicious

come back, other meg!

:'(
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

Angry Ewok

I tried to post this in the other thread, but I'm guessing it was deleted.

I wonder how I would write EC's forum profile obituary? I don't know why, but for some reason or another I think one day, somewhere down the line, she may have decided she didn't like me... Either way, I've always loved her purely out of admiration, you know? I'd say she's beautiful, and she's the self-proclaimed Jethro Tull of the skin flute... but her music is supremely beautiful (first music of her's I ever heard was a cover of At Dawn, ya'll know the one!) and I was glad I got to meet her and got to relate with her in so many ways while she was here.

It kinda hurts to lose a member of a very tight knit family...

...but I'm sure we'll be seeing her again.

As far as "growing pains" is concerned... Dare I speak for more folks than just myself, but we aren't having such a hard time adjusting to growing venues. Personally, I've been hoping and praying that the guys finally get what they've long deserved. What I think we're having a hard time adjusting to this new crowd of people who seem much less invested in the band itself. Most of us wouldn't think of bragging about pirating Evil Urges, and yet we were subjected to hearing from several arrogant people for almost a full week before things seemed to recede.

I think it's an issue of respect. Sort of like this thread.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

MMJ_fanatic

We love you Meg--please come back! :'(
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

tomEisenbraun

This is what I tried to post in the other thread. Sorry if my comments got it taken down.

Look Chump, I've been on it since day 1--notice the post in the first page?

I don't care if you were serious about misogyny, joking about misogyny, encouraging misogyny, whatever--fact is, it was rude, it was crass, even if it had a line through it, it was still there, and it wasn't very tasteful. Especially when you kept riding Meg about her responses. It doesn't matter how you meant it on here by the time it hurts somebody, what matters is how it came across. You didn't present yourself with too much tact or care there, and it affected a long-time member. She told me afterward she felt it was coming for a while, it just took your last straw to push it up and over.

Not cool, pal.

Constant badgering about blowjobs isn't funny. Maybe an offhand joking NON-antagonistic remark about it is, but you've actually got to be here and establish yourself as "I'm on your side" to really be able to pull that kind of shit off.

Whatever. I'm not a mod, why am I arguing this? I think I'm about done here, too before too long. This is getting ridiculous.

And about our community growing? Damn straight part of it is growing pains. When I joined here the community was already growing, but it had its tight-knit group of individuals that really acted like a family for eachother. Really cared a lot about waht was going for everybody, kept up with each other outside the board, it was really cool. I was really honored to be brought into that, and I made a mistake of trying to act as a religious correctionalist (which I don't stand by much anymore) and had my ass handed to me but had the decency to listen to what people had to say and apologize and learn how the board worked. You don't come in and change a place without first finding your place in it, kid. Big lesson.

So now what, three years later? I've met up with Meg at Bonnaroo the summer I joined, recorded a duet from Chicago and she from Toronto for the MMJ Tribute album. Met up with Tracy and Brian and their wives and a couple others (I believe Trey and Corey, right?) and forged lasting friendships. Hell, Tracy and I drove from Nashville to Cincinnati and back on my 18th birthday to catch em play there so we could see them twice on the Z tour. The following spring Meg made her way down to Nashville and the previous Z crew (Brain, Corey, Trey, and eventually Brad) met up at Tracy's and had a great get together and a wonderfully awkward guitar sing-along on Tracy's rainy back porch before the Rites of Spring show at Vanderbilt--his first show since he got really sick on tour.

The following fall, our whole group got together once again (minus Meg, she was up in Canada) for the show at the Ryman and Meg from Bowling Green, KY jumped in on the whole shebang. The group kept getting bigger, but it stayed friendly. Everyone wanted to get to know each oher and figure out what it was about all of us that dug this music so much. This whole fraternity spans continents--I've gotten a birthday gift from Japan from Andrew (DragonBoy), basically an open invitation to all the ridiculous fun I could hope for in Austin, TX with Cake and Mantooth. Hell, I sold a distortion pedal to Gregg a couple years ago. I could probably sleep on a couch in at least a dozen places around the world if I were travellng because of the way this band's music has brought us together. My Morning Jacket isn't just a band for us, it's about this community we've been able to build around it, and that fellowship is what really holds us together as mega-fans. You can bet your ass it smarts to see it get bigger in a way that doesn't really look to work to sustain that vibe. ESPECIALLY when it starts driving people out of here. Sure, we've got email and phones and we can visit, but this has been our place to get together informally and have our casual fun and really keep in touch with eachother. To see it get turned into such a sour place sucks so bad, because it means we don't feel welcome where we used to, or that we're having to step aroudn people who don't get our sense of humor and don't want to, or even worse, we have to deal with people stirring shit up just for the fun of it. Not every new addition is a bad one, mind you, but for the most part, it looks like our little community is really starting to outgrow our ability to keep it really personal and full of love.

There you go. That's my take on my place. If you don't want to be a part of that community, then I'm sorry. It looks like those of us who really cared about this place are sort of being weeded out as it's taking too much trouble to keep everybody new up to speed with how it ran. Even worse, a good deal of the new people don't really care about keeping up that vibe. It sucks to lose that.

If you don't like me after this, I'm sorry, but this place has been somewhere that has honestly made a difference for me in the past couple years, and it sucks so bad to see someone so important to that goodness leave because it's turning shitty. I'll stick with it as long as I can, but I'll probably be laying lay for a while until we get an established group of people again and some sort of idea of a general group ethic around here.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteThis is what I tried to post in the other thread. Sorry if my comments got it taken down.

I don't care if you were serious about misogyny, joking about misogyny, encouraging misogyny, whatever--fact is, it was rude, it was crass, even if it had a line through it, it was still there, and it wasn't very tasteful. Especially when you kept riding Meg about her responses. It doesn't matter how you meant it on here by the time it hurts somebody, what matters is how it came across. You didn't present yourself with too much tact or care there, and it affected a long-time member. She told me afterward she felt it was coming for a while, it just took your last straw to push it up and over.

Not cool, pal.

Constant badgering about blowjobs isn't funny. Maybe an offhand joking NON-antagonistic remark about it is, but you've actually got to be here and establish yourself as "I'm on your side" to really be able to pull that kind of shit off.

Whatever. I'm not a mod, why am I arguing this? I think I'm about done here, too before too long. This is getting ridiculous.

And about our community growing? Damn straight part of it is growing pains. When I joined here the community was already growing, but it had its tight-knit group of individuals that really acted like a family for eachother. Really cared a lot about waht was going for everybody, kept up with each other outside the board, it was really cool. I was really honored to be brought into that, and I made a mistake of trying to act as a religious correctionalist (which I don't stand by much anymore) and had my ass handed to me but had the decency to listen to what people had to say and apologize and learn how the board worked. You don't come in and change a place without first finding your place in it, kid. Big lesson.

So now what, three years later? I've met up with Meg at Bonnaroo the summer I joined, recorded a duet from Chicago and she from Toronto for the MMJ Tribute album. Met up with Tracy and Brian and their wives and a couple others (I believe Trey and Corey, right?) and forged lasting friendships. Hell, Tracy and I drove from Nashville to Cincinnati and back on my 18th birthday to catch em play there so we could see them twice on the Z tour. The following spring Meg made her way down to Nashville and the previous Z crew (Brain, Corey, Trey, and eventually Brad) met up at Tracy's and had a great get together and a wonderfully awkward guitar sing-along on Tracy's rainy back porch before the Rites of Spring show at Vanderbilt--his first show since he got really sick on tour.

The following fall, our whole group got together once again (minus Meg, she was up in Canada) for the show at the Ryman and Meg from Bowling Green, KY jumped in on the whole shebang. The group kept getting bigger, but it stayed friendly. Everyone wanted to get to know each oher and figure out what it was about all of us that dug this music so much. This whole fraternity spans continents--I've gotten a birthday gift from Japan from Andrew (DragonBoy), basically an open invitation to all the ridiculous fun I could hope for in Austin, TX with Cake and Mantooth. Hell, I sold a distortion pedal to Gregg a couple years ago. I could probably sleep on a couch in at least a dozen places around the world if I were travellng because of the way this band's music has brought us together. My Morning Jacket isn't just a band for us, it's about this community we've been able to build around it, and that fellowship is what really holds us together as mega-fans. You can bet your ass it smarts to see it get bigger in a way that doesn't really look to work to sustain that vibe. ESPECIALLY when it starts driving people out of here. Sure, we've got email and phones and we can visit, but this has been our place to get together informally and have our casual fun and really keep in touch with eachother. To see it get turned into such a sour place sucks so bad, because it means we don't feel welcome where we used to, or that we're having to step aroudn people who don't get our sense of humor and don't want to, or even worse, we have to deal with people stirring shit up just for the fun of it. Not every new addition is a bad one, mind you, but for the most part, it looks like our little community is really starting to outgrow our ability to keep it really personal and full of love.

There you go. That's my take on my place. If you don't want to be a part of that community, then I'm sorry. It looks like those of us who really cared about this place are sort of being weeded out as it's taking too much trouble to keep everybody new up to speed with how it ran. Even worse, a good deal of the new people don't really care about keeping up that vibe. It sucks to lose that.

If you don't like me after this, I'm sorry, but this place has been somewhere that has honestly made a difference for me in the past couple years, and it sucks so bad to see someone so important to that goodness leave because it's turning shitty. I'll stick with it as long as I can, but I'll probably be laying lay for a while until we get an established group of people again and some sort of idea of a general group ethic around here.

AMEN
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Bigsky

Tom & Angry Ewok, no disrepsect, but this thread is about EC, so please take your points (good ones I might add) to another thread. Maybe call it negative nanncies or Trolls of the Valley.

Where are you EC...

CC

QuoteThis is what I tried to post in the other thread. Sorry if my comments got it taken down.

Not cool, pal.

man, you left nothing for me! ;)
right on, wanna become a mod?

EC will come back, when she feels like it.
she's awesome like that.

mjkoehler

DAMMIT

Meg, please come back, when you feel it's right. You will be missed.

Seriously, can something be done about the trolls that have been creeping in since I'd say the leak? Anything, besides ignoring them which hasn't been working?

ycartrob

I will post nothing negative until she comes back

it's a promise  :)

The DARK

I somehow missed this thread. I'm not sure who posted the comments, but I assume we really didn't need to see them anyway.

I have not met anyone from here yet, I know, so I guess I'm not completely established. Oh well. I love all of you who have been here for a long time, and those of you who are more recent additions. But to all of you who are just here to be annoying, get a life. This place is meant for fun, love, respect, and praise of the good Jacket. If that wasn't the purpose, this forum would have been abandoned to the trolls a long time ago. And if you're not helping to spread the love, don't come here.

Lets also not forget that EVIL URGES COMES OUT TOMMORROW. There is no reason to let anyone put a damper on our celebration. Because we're not here to criticize the album on how much of a work of art it is. It's never been like that, and it's the one thing that Pitchfork and everyone else has failed to understand. Evil Urges is meant to be a love letter from the band. They love us fans, even though they don't need us. It's great that they get lots of money from it, but that's not the point. It's like they threw one big party for the whole world, and everyone who wants to is invited.  :D That's the way it's always been with the music. They're not just part of the family, they're the center of it.

I love EC, and hope she comes back. But if this keeps up, we've gotta stop the trolls somehow. If that means moving our little community somewhere else, then so be it. A MMJ fan club for the tight-knit members of the family might be in order.

And I'm with Tracy, nothing negative until she's back.
In another time, in another place, in another face

dragonboy

What the hell happened?!!

If EC has left then that really is too bad. Someone was rude to her? Man, that makes me angry...there really have been some fucking clowns here of late!

Great post Tom  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjkoehler

It was getting ugly and totally disrespectful in a different thread.

Coltrane

First of all....

Tom-- don't leave and don't stop posting. Please! I love reading what you have to say about everything (even though I still can't get into Fleet Foxes.....but i'll keep trying and listening because you seem so moved by it--there must be something there that i'm missing.). I've learned so much from you about guitars and the technology.....i need that knowledge!!!!

Second:

something must be done about Meg/EC. This is outrageous.

i already feel like i'm losing MY/OUR band to the masses.....I simply can't handle losing people from this Forum, too.

I know I don't post much, or interact much. But I've had two stints here and have been around for years. I come here everyday. And I love it. I feel close to all the old timers and even some of the new folks who have been cool........

Please come back, EC.

goddamnit!!!!!!!!!!

Viva La Jacket!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coltrane

Oh, and......

HAPPY EVIL URGES DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tomEisenbraun

Damn, I knew I was missing something!

Okay, Bonnaroo 2005--my friend and I wait against the front rail to catch MMJ and definitely inadvertently meet TEO and his son (who is my age).

Bonnaroo 2006--Tommy and Riny find me after I nearly passed during Devendra's set (beer for breakfast mixed with some fat hand-rolled cigarettes--no shifty eyes involved there-- proved to not do to well on my young teenage body). Asked me about my tattoo that I'd had pictures of on the board. Cool deal. They take off, and then I go line up next to the rail for the Jacket's late night show later on that night. I run into TEO again, I believe, and, if I'm not mistaken, Brad? Anyway, Riny finds me, offers me like 3 packs of the American Spirits that they're giving away in the VIP lair, and I get laid out by those (I thought I was tough as nails, I can't handle much more than cigarette, if I get that far).

All that to say, I've met a good deal of the long-timers in some fashion or another. Haven't met John Conaway, which is a shame, but I have no doubt I will someday. When I someday make it to Japan, ndrew is high on my list of people to stop and meet. Same with DiTH and Mark and Greggy in England, and Ali in Australia.

This place is incredible. Was incredible. Could still be incredible, just let's get our heads wrapped around what we really want this place to be and make it that way. Honestly, if it means that much to you, then let's work at it. We've experienced it in the past, and if you haven't and want to, please jump  on board. I'm serious. Things don't stay in good shape without some general maintenance and upkeep. When shit really gets out of hand, it takes a lot more work, but it's definitely doable to turn it around.

Like everybody on the positive-only track, let's get back to that. Let's build eachother up--I'm dead serious--and establish the kind of community we'd all like to have. I could go on and on about how cool most of the people here are, and what we'd all do for eachother--let's make that a habit: going out of our way to take care of each other. Think that's stupid? This place has done it before. Hell, it's doing it right now with the "Shot In The Dark" Thread (before the Canada/Chiropracty squabbles, but we'll ignore that a little bit).

So look. We've all got differences here. That's not a bad thing. What is a bad thing is not knowing how to coexist with those differences. No one's an idiot because they don't believe the same thing you do. Gosh, I had my ass handed to first thing on this board for trying to act like Christianity was the be-all, end-all and I was right dammit and I had something to say. Meg was the first one to jump on my ass for coming in a place like this with something like that to say, mainly because of how inconsiderate it was of everybody else's views I just trounced on.

So let's have some respect here. Let's take care of each other. Let's disagree and call each other cocksuckers when its football season, but let's do it in love and fun. Really. Let's get back that family ethic. Find something in everybody that's good, and work your best to show your best side and not step on too many toes.

Shockadow, I'm sorry for eariler today. I was really pissed and really hurt that the thread you hijacked wound up driving Meg out. I'd like to get to know you better, and I'd also like to see a better side of you than what we saw in there. The misogyny doesn't fly here--joking or not--so that's not really something to mess around with, especially as we're still learning your sense of humor (and when it's proven to be relatively meanly-edged already). Figure out which side of you you want to give us, and we'll work to welcome it in as long you work to be a part of us. Honestly. I'd like you to really prove me wrong on the person I've got you pegged for as of right now. I'll wipe the slate clean and say "Hey, I'm Tom--nice to meet you" and let's work from there.

Honestly.

Let's build this place back up. I'll stick to it if you will.

Love you guys,
Tom
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

SMc55

Oh shit I missed this!
What happened?
Maybe I don't need to know. I've seen, and been upset by some of the posts lately (I know I'm too sensitive) and haven't been coming round as often as I used to.
So sorry EC's upset.

I agree with dragonboy - great post Tom.

Angry Ewok

QuoteThey take off, and then I go line up next to the rail for the Jacket's late night show later on that night. I run into TEO again, I believe, and, if I'm not mistaken, Brad?

I bet you ran into Alan. He was up front. I was much further back, as I waited to hear Stevie Nicks with Tom Petty. Unfortunately, I didn't get to meet any of you guys at Bonnaroo '05 or '06... it's so massive and there are so many people.

QuoteOh shit I missed this!
What happened?

I bet your best guess would be 100% accurate. Typical shit that has been going on lately, basically. A new person was sort of a jackass and EC took exception after a couple of pages of drama. (and there was a lot of sexist talk, which I never understood).
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

TheBigChicken

It DID get UGLY and NASTY...and Tom DID tell ALL of us to fuck off..Talk about innocent bystanders getting caught in a verbal drive by...I enjoy Megs posts AND her music....PEOPLE HAVE BAD DAYS!!!! I quit once because of something REALLY stupid. Earlier in the day I had found out my cousin had cancer and it just snowballed. I hope nothing like that has happened..
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry