Gas Prices?

Started by sweatboard, Jul 21, 2008, 12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweatboard

I don't pretend to be an expert on the economy so can someone please explain to me why gas prices are sucking my income up like Bounty when we just took over the holy land of oil fields?
There's Still Time.........

sweatboard

sweatboard

"Environmental Vandalism".....WOW!

Skewed much?

Jaimoe

The oil/gas supplies are drying up. They will be gone, along with most of the world's fresh-water supply, in 20 years or less. This current situation is nothing and we in North America have had an easy go of it until now. Just ask a European and they'll tell it to you straight regarding gas prices.  

Killgies

I heard that we might invade Canada since they are sitting on the 2nd largest oil supply in the world.
:D ;D
"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

Jaimoe

QuoteI heard that we might invade Canada since they are sitting on the 2nd largest oil supply in the world.

Not to mention Canada's plentiful water supply. The oil however, is hard to get and is expensive to convert since it comes from the oil sands of Alberta. Off-shore refineries are a different matter. I think we Canadians should start investing more in the military. We're going to need it.

bowl of soup

QuoteI heard that we might invade Canada since they are sitting on the 2nd largest oil supply in the world.

Not to mention Canada's plentiful water supply. The oil however, is hard to get and is expensive to convert since it comes from the oil sands of Alberta. Off-shore refineries are a different matter. I think we Canadians should start investing more in the military. We're going to need it.

Indeed.  This is all funny Canadian Bacon stuff until we get deperate.  There's a reason this "Who owns the artic" stuff has become a talked-about topic.  It's not the Northwest passage either.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Jaimoe

Indeed.  This is all funny Canadian Bacon stuff until we get deperate.  There's a reason this "Who owns the artic" stuff has become a talked-about topic.  It's not the Northwest passage either.

And it's not international waters, if that's what you mean? The EU and US have "suggested" that the passage be an international waterway. It's all very unsettling.  

bowl of soup

Time had a cover piece on this a couple of months ago.  All sorts of countries are stating their case to "own" a piece of the artic.  Let me tell you a story 'bout a man named Jed...
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

MMJ_fanatic

they blow (gas prices that is)
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

The DARK

Gas I think we can deal with. Once it starts getting completely unreasonable, businesses will start investing in alternative fuels, everyone will start using public transit systems, and we'll get by. Water, though, is far more of a pressing issue. We need to get working on stopping the Arctic from melting before one of our biggest sources of water gets lost in the ocean.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Killgies

A local gas station has put percentage of profit stickers on their gas pumps. (Exxon Tiger mart)

22 % of the profit of gas according to these stickers goes to Credit Card company's.

1% to the Gas Station

17% to Refining the crude oil

I can't remember the rest off the top of my head.
I do know that we all are being messed over though!  >:( >:(

"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

BH

Here is my theory.  Don't know if it's true or not but it makes a lot of sense to me.

1)  The dollar sucks ass right now.

2)  Americans use by far more oil than anyone else.

So, in other words, if the dollar is worth half as much as it used to, the people selling the oil would have to charge twice as much to get the same amount of money, right?   Seems pretty simple to me.

Have I told you guys about the aptera? ;)

http://www.aptera.com/  
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Penny Lane

supply and demand, right? (i'm not an economist) we are finally paying what gas is worth is how i look at it...the world is catching up (not so much the US is going to sh*t) in some ways, this is a good thing, maybe now we'll focus on wind turbines and solar power and realize that if we do something now, in 20 years it will make a difference. we spend 700 billion a year on foreign oil when we need to start changing our business practices. i'm not scientist--but from what i've read, if we use wind turbines and other sources for electricity that would also free up a lot of our natural gas.  .. but we have only ourselves to blame..of course, i don' t drive anymore--but i sympathize-especially those of you in the rural areas
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

QuoteGas I think we can deal with. Once it starts getting completely unreasonable, businesses will start investing in alternative fuels, everyone will start using public transit systems, and we'll get by. Water, though, is far more of a pressing issue. We need to get working on stopping the Arctic from melting before one of our biggest sources of water gets lost in the ocean.

Dark--how would we do that? i mean it's sped up exponentially in the past 30 years, right? good post
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Jaimoe

QuoteWe need to get working on stopping the Arctic from melting before one of our biggest sources of water gets lost in the ocean.

How do we in southern North America get water from the Arctic? I found your comment curious since I don't think we use Arctic water and ice as a bulk export (and don't believe those lying and thieving bottled water companies like Nestle). 60%of Canada's fresh water flows into the Arctic away from the populace instead of the other way around. Most areas in North America get their fresh water from ground water.  

The DARK

QuoteWe need to get working on stopping the Arctic from melting before one of our biggest sources of water gets lost in the ocean.

How do we in southern North America get water from the Arctic? I found your comment curious since I don't think we use Arctic water and ice as a bulk export (and don't believe those lying and thieving bottled water companies like Nestle). 60%of Canada's fresh water flows into the Arctic away from the populace instead of the other way around. Most areas in North America get their fresh water from ground water.  

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant more along the lines of the Arctic reigon, in the large freshwater lakes and glaciers of northern Canada. Also, I know we don't get our water from there right now, but there's always the potential. There is a huge amount of fresh water up there, and when the glaciers melt and flow into the ocean, we lose another potential source of fresh water. If we don't start controlling the runoff now, we're going to regret it in the years to come.

With global warming making the climate less harsh, I think that northern Canada will see a substantial growth in the next two decades as water becomes a bigger issue and water transport becomes a bigger issue with high oil prices.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Jaimoe

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant more along the lines of the Arctic reigon, in the large freshwater lakes and glaciers of northern Canada. Also, I know we don't get our water from there right now, but there's always the potential. There is a huge amount of fresh water up there, and when the glaciers melt and flow into the ocean, we lose another potential source of fresh water. If we don't start controlling the runoff now, we're going to regret it in the years to come.

With global warming making the climate less harsh, I think that northern Canada will see a substantial growth in the next two decades as water becomes a bigger issue and water transport becomes a bigger issue with high oil prices.

The land is pretty harsh no matter the climate. The soil because of permafrost (amongst other components) isn't good for growing which is too bad when the climate starts to warm.