Main Menu

9/11

Started by ycartrob, Sep 11, 2008, 10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

I watched the live, archived coverage of September 11, 2001 this morning. I remember how united we were, as a nation, for about 2 months or so. Then it was back to politics as usual. Makes me sort of sad...

Crispy

QuoteI watched the live, archived coverage of September 11, 2001 this morning. I remember how united we were, as a nation, for about 2 months or so. Then it was back to politics as usual. Makes me sort of sad...
Not only the nation, but the rest of (sane) world was with us too. Alas, but for the unilateral occupational policies of vice-emperor Cheney - It makes me sad to think that most of our country still thinks that we need to project large-scale military power in order to fight a "War" on terrorism.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

EAZYE

well said crispy, well said
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

Dodobird

Well said indeed. I am Breezy Point/Rockaway NY and our community lost over 60 people on 9/11. Many of them firemen and cops. I will never forget them. A favorite irish band of mine from the Bronx called Shilelagh Law wrote a beautiful song about that tragic day. Below are some of the lyrics and and youtube link. Please give it a listen. Love these guys.

(words written by R. Popovic)

"So Bless NY's Finest, our Angels in Blue.
Giving us hope and helping us through.
And Bless NY's Bravest, the FDNY.
Giving their sweat and their tears and their lives.
And Bless all the medics and our troops overseas.
Bless the guys in the hardhats removing debris.
Bless the everyday people who answered the call.
Bless those who gave some and those who gave ALL.
Bless all the souls who left us this year.
You may be gone but you'll always be here.
Singing and dancing with family and friends........"

We Remember

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9POSq7qJ5Oc
Wakin up feelin good and limber!

megalicious

what a strange day. i remember that i was home sick from high school (senior year), and it was maybe two weeks after my parents divorced. my dad was going to take me to the doctor, and on the way to pick me up, he had a wreck and flipped his car.

so... i ended up taking him to the ER. i remember sitting there in the waiting room and watching the tv. it didn't seem like it could be real; you know? when i first heard the breaking news, i thought it was some sort of accident... then i realized what was going on.

for the next week or so, it was as if someone pressed "pause" on our lives. so surreal, looking back on it all...

and to think about what today really means--the thousands of innocent people whose lives were taken just like that. i mean, what if that had been my mom, my dad, my child?

nowdays, it seems like the only time you hear 9-11 is when some politician is trying to scare us into some more bs like the "patriot" act.

makes me sad, too, tracy...
all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

getinthevan

9th grade.  Over the weeks, no, months leading up to September 11th, the anticipation had been growing.  As far as I was concerned, it was going to be the best day of my entire life.  It was finally the day that I would get to see Tool.  At the age of 14, that was the most important thing in the world.

I walked into my second class of the day and my heart dropped.  On the TV was the Twin Towers looking like two burning cigarettes pointed at the sky.  Soon the news broke that the Pentagon had been hit and I sat wondering what could possibly happen next.  What happened next was something that I thought to be impossible.  I saw one of the towers, soon followed by the other, fall.  The world as I knew it, was over.  I knew at that moment that nothing would ever be the same, ever again.  

I didn't get to see Tool that day.  My father yelled at me for being more upset about that than anything else.  Two days later I did get to see Tool.  The energy of that crowd, in ways, will surpass the energy of any other crowd I will ever see again.  People waving flags, chanting USA! USA!  Never before and never again will I see a crowd as united as this.  It felt like every person in that arena was there in defiance, saying, "our buildings may fall, but we will not!"  I really hope I never see a crowd like that again because I know what it took to get it.  
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

MMJ_fanatic

All I can say is thank God for police and firefighters for keeping the losses as low as they did.
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

mjkoehler

Wow meg and GITV, that actually made me feel older hearing you were still in high school then.

I was sitting in some boring ass corporate training session for Time Management. They actually tried to keep us in the training class the rest of the day. We were all freaking out as we had no idea what was all going on. The St Louis Federal Bldg isn't that far from our tower and things were a bit......tense there.

TheBigChicken

Meant to respond yesterday. I was installing wood flooring on Snell Island. You have to take a barge , so I was kinda scared that we might not be able to get off . To all , prayers be with you...
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

getinthevan

Here's an article about people jumping from the towers that day.  It made my stomach turn but let me see some of the victims from a different perspective.

http://www.esquire.com/features/ESQ0903-SEP_FALLINGMAN
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Angry Ewok

It never feels like it was years ago... I wish I could forget about the entire thing, but that wouldn't really be right and it's not even possible. I can't imagine seeing another event so horrible that I would feel traumatized just witnessing it on the television. I think a lot of that is because my family and I had just been to New York. I remember seeing all of those huge buildings and telling my folks there's no way I could ever work in a skyscraper, or even near one - I'm terrified of heights.

Seeing the second plane hit the building, the people jumping and falling from the windows, seeing the towers collapse, hearing about the attack on the Pentagon and the plane that was supposed to hit Washington... walking around for days not knowing how many folks were dead, or when the next attack would come. Yeah, it doesn't feel like it was years ago.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.