Pop? Coke? Soda?

Started by ycartrob, Sep 15, 2008, 02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManNamedTruth

QuoteThis brings a whole new meaning to red and blue states.

Check out Missouri, as you can see it's a very hot topic in these parts.

What's up with North Carolina Gregg?  I'm mean come on, get it together.  Make up your minds already.

If you are in the south, and you go thru the drive thru and ask for a large coke, do they say "What kind?"

If you are in the north, do you order Jack and Pop's?  That sounds disgusting.

pop is used to refer to any flavors of soda in general. you wouldn't order a "jack and pop" because that wouldn't be specific enough. Any bar would either have pepsi or coke, you'd still say jack and coke.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

.Walt

first, is this from those cum and go commercials (a very perverted gas station, but my favorite is still pump & munch)? because when i was in omaha i saw commercials for ending the pop or soda debate, and you could vote on which one you call it.

but anyways, yeah, this map is accurate to me too. in minnesota we mostly call it pop, but since all my family is from milwaukee,they all call it soda. which is funny to see the map, because i've always thought that all of wisconsin called it soda. tater, you guys don't call it soda? i've always thought that only 4 states called it pop. all the upper midwest states. this is very educational!
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

weeniebeenie

Australians mostly say coke/fizzy drink/soft drink.
How loud can silence get?

Taterbug

Quotefirst, is this from those cum and go commercials (a very perverted gas station, but my favorite is still pump & munch)? because when i was in omaha i saw commercials for ending the pop or soda debate, and you could vote on which one you call it.

but anyways, yeah, this map is accurate to me too. in minnesota we mostly call it pop, but since all my family is from milwaukee,they all call it soda. which is funny to see the map, because i've always thought that all of wisconsin called it soda. tater, you guys don't call it soda? i've always thought that only 4 states called it pop. all the upper midwest states. this is very educational!

I call it pop.  no one in my circle of friends call it soda. I'm in northern Illinois.   My in-laws are from southern Illinois and they say soda.  They introduced me to the term WHOPPERJAWED ( slang for fucked up ), but I can only replicate  saying it by putting marbles in my mouth.

I have 2 step sisters in the twin cities and they pronounce it soouda in that Fargo accent.  I love it.

GO WHITE SOX  ;)
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

EAZYE

Am I the only oddball who calls it sodapop :-/  I don't think I've ever called it anything different
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

The DARK

Pop just sounds...well... :P

Coke is the preferred nomenclature in them southern states.
In another time, in another place, in another face

ratchetisfake

im from michigan, and we always called it pop. around here in louisville, ive heard soda the most.
but ive been down south alot and heard everything from cokes, cold drinks, fizzers, and seltzer drinks.
who fanned the fire that burned down the lake?

Ethel Bethel

I say "soda", but it took me from the time I was 5 to 15 to stop saying "pop". Okay, I wanna know who has the time to graph all of this.