Letter from a devastated swede

Started by AKAPella, Nov 18, 2003, 04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKAPella

Allright, my sadest day for a long time was today, although a guy got killed in an elevator accident at work yesterday.....let me tell you all why today was worse:

I´m approaching my thirties, I live in Gothenburg Sweden, I work in a typical office. I make a buck, but mostly I just grow older. I´ve always had a huge musical interest, I used to play in a band. People thought we were kind of great. When I was younger I always pictured myself playing the drums in the perfect band....musically, politically and in every angle from which you could possibly view a band. It was me and my closest friends, we were everything - we were "Oljor". ("Oils" in english) For a stupid reason we moved to different cities, we left our small hometown for 4 different places. None of us knows what really happened. To make a long story shorter....our guitar player moved to Barcelona and got really into house music, and so did I.......and I´ve lived with electronic dance music now fo 6-7 years. I used to listen to things like Built to Spill, Pavement, The flaming lips, My bloody Valentine etc. but my record collection got replaced. In came Thomas Bangalter, Moodymann, Theo Parrish, Alan Braxe, Marshall Jefferson......and with them came sudden kicks but no lasting feelings.
In late october 2003 house music has come to a grindin´ halt....it´s dead, it gives me nothing anymore.

What should I do? Well, I just had to go and look what I had missed in guitar based music for the last 6 years.

I´ve dedicated my time lately digging deep.

M Y  M O R N I N G  J A C K E T : : : :

Holy mother of all sweet mothers.....if I had found MMJ in -96 I would never have turned to that beep beep oink oink club music for answers.

So why am I sad?

Well....the actual DAY that I had discoverd this amazing band was yesterday, monday. I spent that monday and all tuesday listening to the three records with tears in my eyes almost.....and I felt love. I had to find out more, I had to get hold of the records, and I could only dream of catching them live....and I took a chance:

www.mymorningjacket.com

crunchtime:

Wow, a nice website....what a great "Behind the scenes"-clip.....oh....a european tour....hmmmm

WTF!??

GOTHENBURG....

no! NO!!! NO!!!!!! The day before yesterday the bastards played in my town!! This cannot be true! What have I done to deserve this?

If you read this,
please come back, I could easily marry my woman to get you to play at my wedding....I´m destroyed.

JacketNation

Dear Swede,

Better late than never.  You're not even 30, dude, you're still young.  You can do anything you want.  As for MMJ, it sucks that you missed them by a day but they'll be back.  I live here in Louisville and I still can't believe they come from my hometown.  I found out recently that I went to high school with their aunts and uncles.  

Blasting The Way That He Sings in the car is like going to church, only a much better experience.  They are the real deal in every way.  I am selfishly happy that their music is not geared toward mainstream radio and they'll probably have to tour continually to make a good living.  You'll catch them the next time.

peanut butter puddin surprise

Wow, what a story!  

But to echo JacketNation, they will be back around, that of which I'm pretty sure.

I think the irony of missing the show is a sign unto you:  Be aware, very aware of www.mymorningjacket.com and all the trimmings.  I am happy you became a fan, even if the timing was quite interesting, but like we said....they'll be back around and you'll see them!!

Until then, why not drop me an email:
jlconaway@bluegrass.net

and I'll hook you up with the live FTP server, where you can download to your heart's content a variety of live shows from the past three years.

Own the Jacket.  Be the Jacket.  Wear the Jacket.  Long Live the Jacket!
Runnin' from somethin' that isn't there

my_evening_jacket

AKAPella,

Welcome to the forum and the world of The Jacket.

I am sorry that you missed them - but let it be known - they shall return.  And next time they come around you will even appreciate them more.  Jim James voice is so beautiful and the band so tight that each day they keep growing in your heart and soul.

Tim
shake some action

AKAPella

Well, today everything feels much better.
"Golden" cranked up in headphones.....so wonderful to let the reverb take me away. To hear the plastic agaínst the strings in the beginning of the song, just before you enter reverbheaven.
Damn, I wanna sit with friends in an el Camino, driving from Tennessee to Kentucky. I wanna see the actual barn...

DD

i can take you on a tour of the famous barn for a hundred bucks.  but i warn ya, we might get menacing glances from a shotgun toting little brother of johnny.   ;)
[url="//www.myspace.com/rednails"]www.myspace.com/rednails[/url]

www.garageband.com/artist/rednails

lfish

I think all of us will take that chance. But maybe we can mingle ourselves with the sheep and cows who graze on the land and who have the possibility to enter the farm.  From then off it is only a small effort to reach the barn. Louisville here we come!
lfish

HOG

Hej AKApella!

Jag ar ledsen att hora att du missade MMJ och hoppas att du snart far en chans att se dem live. Jag bor i England (har gjort i manga, manga ar for att leta efter svar i dans musik) och hade aldrig hort MMJ forran igar. Nagra vanner kom ner fran London igar kvall for att se dem spela  sa jag foljde med for att vara social. Herre Jesus Kristus!!!!!!  Jag kande mig nog ungefar som du. Brukade lyssna pa Teenage Fanclub, Primal Scream och My Bloody Valentine och sa vidare, i mina yngre dagar men inte kopt nagra "band" skivor pa nastan ett arstioende. Trodde arrogant att det inte gjordes nagot nytt som var vart att lyssna pa. Istallet har jag spenderat alla mina pengar pa drum n' bass och house men jag har uppenbarligen otroligt mycket an att lara. Jag kommer aldrig sluta dansa men jag ska forsoka halla ogonen oppna for mer som MMJ. Det ar som att bli panyttfodd- varlden ar mycket storre an jag forestallt mig! (har du hort Granddaddy? De ar mitt andra projekt for tillfallet i mitt forsok att komma tillbaka till mina rock-rotter)
Det ar ingen ide att grata over spilld mjolk. Jag tror sakert att du snart far en chans att se dem. Det ar ocksa liten ide att stro salt i saren sa lat mig bara saga att de ar helt fantastiska live. Verkligen som inget jag nagonsin tidigare upplevt. De ar liksom riktig ROCK, med head-banging och langa krulliga har och sa ar de skit coola och spelar fruktansvart tajt. Jatte, jatte kul och helt annurlunda fran vad jag forestallt mig.

Ta val hand om dig och allt san't!

CC

Oz

Haha, finally I understand how the Enlgish speakers must feel als we Nederlands tegen elkaar aan het praten zijn, Riny!  ;D
I'm ready when you are

Gallsgirl

Quotei can take you on a tour of the famous barn for a hundred bucks.  but i warn ya, we might get menacing glances from a shotgun toting little brother of johnny.   ;)

LOL i dont think Jonnys brother will be carrying a shotgun... trust me i know them both well!  :) now i just have this picture in my head and its craking me up!!!!!!!

Gallsgirl

QuoteWell, today everything feels much better.
"Golden" cranked up in headphones.....so wonderful to let the reverb take me away. To hear the plastic agaínst the strings in the beginning of the song, just before you enter reverbheaven.
Damn, I wanna sit with friends in an el Camino, driving from Tennessee to Kentucky. I wanna see the actual barn...

dude the barns not that great... promise! its just a barn... with some beams and stuff! it kinda creeps me out! ;D

MMJ_fanatic

Wow Swede
VERY sad story :'(.  I am sure they will be back in your neck of the woods before the year is up.  These boys are definitely not shy about taking it on the road and they know they are well appreciated in Europe.  Patience my man...you will know the thrill of live MMJ eventually!
Peace!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

Enrump

Taskigt att du missade dom - det var skitbra! Perfekt att ha en san spelning pa lilla pustervik, det fyller riktigt upp da! Sjalv befinner jag mig i USA och har planerat in iallafall tva spelningar har i krokarna...
Rock on.