Do you have Encore??

Started by capt._headdy, Dec 11, 2008, 01:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

If you do, and "Julia Roberts movies are always on" is your thesis, I think your final point is happening right now (God Bless PCU).

On the handful of Encore channels (drama, love, mystery, etc.) there are currently 3 movies of 1 of the most overrated actresses of this generation on at the same time: Pretty Woman, Dying Young, and Erin Brockvich.

Sadly, since Ive seen Borat and The Bone Collector numerous times, Im actually watching Erin Brockovich because Julia actually looks as hot and slutty as can be and I thought it was a half decent movie the one time I saw it 6 or 7 years ago. What a spectacular wednesday night.

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

Julia is on my list of actresses that I refuse to watch, although I did see Charlie Wilson's War, which was good and Julia was appropriately over-the-top in her role.

I think Scarlett Johansson (other than Ghost World) is a chronic over-actor as is Angelina Jolie. And I can't watch anything with Nicole "My face used to be normal back in the 90's" Kidman. And Halle Berry is a terrible actress. Ironically, her worst acting performance was her forced-tears performance speech when she won the Oscar for Best Actress in Monster's Ball.

I'm sure some of you like then all though.

Penny Lane

QuoteJulia is on my list of actresses that I refuse to watch, although I did see Charlie Wilson's War, which was good and Julia was appropriately over-the-top in her role.

I think Scarlett Johansson (other than Ghost World) is a chronic over-actor as is Angelina Jolie. And I can't watch anything with Nicole "My face used to be normal back in the 90's" Kidman. And Halle Berry is a terrible actress. Ironically, her worst acting performance was her forced-tears performance speech when she won the Oscar for Best Actress in Monster's Ball.

wow--i agree w/all of that! i thought it was just me. i think all of those actresses are bad, (i would add gweneth paltrow to that list)

i could watch frances mcdormand, meryl streep or cate blanchett all day, though.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Jaimoe

QuoteJulia is on my list of actresses that I refuse to watch, although I did see Charlie Wilson's War, which was good and Julia was appropriately over-the-top in her role.

wow--i agree w/all of that! i thought it was just me. i think all of those actresses are bad, (i would add gweneth paltrow to that list)

i could watch frances mcdormand, meryl streep or cate blanchett all day, though.

I agree with your last sentence. I like Amy Ryan too.

Even though I like Sarah Polley, I don't think she's been too good in most of her films (but I liked her in John Adams and The Road to Avonlea). Polley is a heck of a director though (Away From Her).

Penny Lane

Even though I like Sarah Polley, I don't think she's been too good in most of her films (but I liked her in John Adams and The Road to Avonlea). Polley is a heck of a director though (Away From Her).

i think most of the popular actresses are terrible (cameron diaz, drew barrymore, jennifer aniston) kate winslet is not too bad and amy adams is good

sarah polley was in the sweet hereafter, right? that movie is haunting--she was great in that but i don't know anything else she's been in--and i know she was recognized for her directing.

Jaimoe

i think most of the popular actresses are terrible (cameron diaz, drew barrymore, jennifer aniston) kate winslet is not too bad and amy adams is good

sarah polley was in the sweet hereafter, right? that movie is haunting--she was great in that but i don't know anything else she's been in--and i know she was recognized for her directing.

Yes, Sarah was in The Sweet Hereafter and she was good in it. How's this for coincidence? Yesterday, I was in an indie bookstore across from my work in downtown Toronto and who do I see browsing the non-fiction section? None other than Atom Egoyan, director of The Sweet Hereafter (along with Felicia's Journey, Exotica, Ararat, Where The Truth Lies).

Penny Lane

that is coincidental. i need to check out more of his movies...

Jaimoe

Quotethat is coincidental. i need to check out more of his movies...

Egoyan along with David Cronenberg are two of Canada's best directors. Egoyan is pretty arty though, more interested in telling personal stories. Felcia's Journey is excellent!

capt. scotty

Like I said in that other thread, I think Jolie is a good actress. Not great, but good.

The other 3 I agree with. Scarlett and Halle are just nice to look at. To me, Kidman is neither of the above
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

Laura Linney is a fantastic actress.

capt. scotty

Egoyan along with David Cronenberg are two of Canada's best directors. Egoyan is pretty arty though, more interested in telling personal stories. Felcia's Journey is excellent!

I like Where the Truth Lies a good bit, but I found Exotica and parts of 1 or 2 of those others movies artsy garbage.

Obviously some people like his stuff, but I just found the stylization as something to cover up the inadequacies of the rest of the movie.

bowl of soup

The Sweet Hereafter may be one of my favorite movies of all time.  The Bob Hoskins lawyer character is me in 15 years if I don't change my ways.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Jaimoe

I like Where the Truth Lies a good bit, but I found Exotica and parts of 1 or 2 of those others movies artsy garbage.

Obviously some people like his stuff, but I just found the stylization as something to cover up the inadequacies of the rest of the movie.

Have you seen The Sweet Hereafter, Felicia's Journey or Ararat?

capt. scotty

I think Ararat was 1 of the ones I saw part of. Dont think Ive seen any of the other 2

Jaimoe

I think Ararat was 1 of the ones I saw part of. Dont think Ive seen any of the other 2

The other two are his best movies and are his least "arty."

purvis9876

I love her acting. Have you seen Notes On A Scandal?
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

dragonboy

QuoteI love her acting. Have you seen Notes On A Scandal?
Good movie, I love Judi Dench.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.