Nashville People!

Started by getinthevan, Sep 11, 2008, 10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getinthevan

A friend and I are moving to Nashville just before Christmas.  I'm going to be going to the SAE Institute to study audio engineering and I can transfer to the FedEx down there so I will already have a job.  

I'm looking for some insight from locals, such as places to shop, eat, hang out and where to avoid.  What else do I need to know?  
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

tomEisenbraun

Two words:

Calypso Cafe. There are several. They are all good. Do it.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

ycartrob

probably where to live.

you know, a certain guitar player in a certain band calls east Nashville home   :-?

word is, east Nashville is hippest (ie afforfable). Other parts work well depending on your budget. I've lived here for about 9 years, so I know a little.

crazylove

You are so lucky!  Nashvegas is an awesome place to live.  My daughter has lived there for over 10 years.  The West End where you are going to school is really a great place to work,live,play and study.  It can be pricey though.  You can find some older apartments to rent that are somewhat reasonable.  There are tons of great restaraunts, shops, and beautiful places to visit.

And I second the Calypso Cafe.  There is one in West End.  Not expensive and so yummy!  And get ready for some good barbecue, especially if you can make it to White Bluff and Carl's perfect pig.

Good Luck and have fun.
"You could kill someone up here and bury them in the snow! No one would ever find them!"- Penny Lane

ycartrob

Quote The West End where you are going to school is really a great place to work,live,play and study.  

Actually, SAE is in Music Row, seperated from West End by Vanderbilt/Hillsboro Village (FYI)

If you are renting (?) lots of things open up around the end of college semesters, especially in the Music Row/Hillsboro/Waverly-Belmont/West End/12th Avenue South areas. A couple of colleges/universities in the area.

Or East, again. A little more affordable, a little more edgey, more diversity and more crime (statistically speaking, more crime).

If you could score something in the Music Row area that would be prime. It would be expensive, but there are also a lot of rentals in what they call 12 South/Waverly-Belmont near Music Row, which a lot of kids from Belmont and Lipscomb rent. Hillsboro is pricier and you get a lot of Vandy med/grad students there. I rented there when I was in grad school (UT, not Vandy) and was able to get lucky and find an inexpensive place, but you have to look hard; I saw one earlier in the day, exact set up and square feet for $300 more a month.

PM me if you want specifics, I don't mind telling you all I know.

getinthevan

I'd like to quickly thank everyone for their input.  I have a couple specific questions but I need to get up in less than 6 hours so it will have to wait.

Anyone else have anything to add?

tomEisenbraun

Don't party with Vandy kids. That's a horrible generalization, but as a former Belmont attendee, I can tell you that when those guys throw somethin, it's good and ridiculous and fun. And not too horribly pretentious. They're the right kind of Jacket fan there. Not just the Phish-substitute kind *cough*Vandykids*cough*
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

LEATHER KID

QuoteDon't party with Vandy kids. That's a horrible generalization, but as a former Belmont attendee, I can tell you that when those guys throw somethin, it's good and ridiculous and fun. And not too horribly pretentious. They're the right kind of Jacket fan there. Not just the Phish-substitute kind *cough*Vandykids*cough*
I second that.  Most I've came across thought they were light years ahead of me.
IT'S ALL FUCKIN' CHEESE!!

getinthevan

Well, I made it.  My friend and I are living in an apartment near Nashville State Tech Community College.  It's about 3 miles west of Vandy and I should be able to walk or take the bus to anything I would need, except work which is a 20 minute drive.  

Not a week after I signed a lease, I found out that my student loans didn't go through so I actually won't be going to school as originally planned.  I have no idea what I'm going to do now, but I'll figure something out.

After 4 long, hectic days of moving and unpacking, I'm back in Michigan for the holidays and I'll be back to the city on January 1st or 2nd (depending on the hangover).

corey

Get a good job. There will be plenty of good shows to see.  :)  Also,  you will probably want to spend lots of money at Grimey's Record Store.

getinthevan

I'm actually rather excited to start working at FedEx if for no other reason than to see how different it is from the terminal I worked at for a couple years.  Hopefully within a couple months I'll be able to pick up more hours or maybe move to a day shift.  But I can't complain about being eligible for benefits and vacation time soon.  

Just flipping through the paper I found like 10 shows I wouldn't mind hitting up and most of those are in January/February.  It's going to be awesome not having to plan a full tank of gas into the budget for each concert I go to!

I've already spent a lot of money at Grimey's and I can't wait to go back and spend more!

corey

http://www.myspace.com/wessfloydmusic
These guys are some friends of mine that will be playing at the Basement on January 16th.  Check them out and give them a try. They put on a great rock and roll show. Good times. I just realized that some more friends of mine from here in the Shoals will be playing that show with Wess and the Daisycutters. They're called Sons of Roswell. They're great as well. They just went through a line-up change and I haven't seen the new line-up since they haven't done a local show yet, but I've heard that they're sounding good.

Also, it looks like Lucero is playing at the Mercy Lounge on January 30th, with the Dexateens opening. That should be a rock show for the ages. I'm going to see the Dexateens for the first time next Monday. Can't wait.

getinthevan

Also, it looks like Lucero is playing at the Mercy Lounge on January 30th, with the Dexateens opening. That should be a rock show for the ages. I'm going to see the Dexateens for the first time next Monday. Can't wait.

The paper said Lucero was playing at the Mercy Lounge on the 30th and 31st.  I'll hopefully be hitting up one or both of those shows.