Japanese Cinema

Started by dragonboy, Nov 23, 2008, 01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

I was looking @ amazon.co.uk, .com has it for $10! Bought!!!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjkoehler

QuoteIchi The Killer is Miike's most infamous work. I've found that All Movie Guide rarely steers people wrong: http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=2:235203~T2
Ichi is the one I've heard/read the most about & then Happiness.
Just thought of Audition, that's supposed to be very good...
Ichi is brutal. I couldnt even watch it all. Then again I'm not a fan of horror/gore/slasher films.

BH

I was going to say, "Get a room!" but then xmascriminal and mj came into the picture and things go a little wierd.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mjkoehler

I'm good for making things go all weird!

ManNamedTruth

QuoteI saw Sukiyaki Western Django the other day. A Japanese film but they speak english, didn't see that one coming.
Is that the one 'presented' by Quentin Tarantino?

What does that even mean? He just puts his name by the title to up the sales, right?  ;)

Tarantino is in the film, he doesn't "present" it. I agree with the sales thing, occasionally the "presenter" will be a producer for the film but not that often.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

xmascriminal

QuoteI saw Sukiyaki Western Django the other day. A Japanese film but they speak english, didn't see that one coming.

What does that even mean? He just puts his name by the title to up the sales, right?  ;)

Tarantino is in the film, he doesn't "present" it. I agree with the sales thing, occasionally the "presenter" will be a producer for the film but not that often.

When a movie says presented by Quentin Tarrantino, I think it just  means that he liked the movie and wants to bring it to a wider audience. So, he helps distribute it in the US using his influence.

ManNamedTruth

When a movie says presented by Quentin Tarrantino, I think it just  means that he liked the movie and wants to bring it to a wider audience. So, he helps distribute it in the US using his influence.

Distributing, and putting his name on it = sales witch we already established I think.
Cinema is an art form but unfortunately its a business too.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ItStillJaimoe

I'm normally all for Quentin putting his stamp on movies he deems fit for a wider audience. He does have an unusual and interesing eye for films that float under the radar, like cult and foreign flicks. Anyone see Hard Core Logo? Quentin distributed this great Canadian faux rock bio-pic in the US. It's fantastic. Seek it out.

CC

big Reiko Ike fan, 2 of my favourites:

the Female Prisoner Scorpion movies are also excellent, especially this one:

oh, and this is mindblowing:

CC

QuoteI remember reading something about about a Korean war/ghost movie a while back that was supposed to be very good, know anything about that?

The poster had a picture of a group of soldiers on it, some of them were ghosts...

R-Point

didn't really like it. kinda boring.

CC

QuoteCanadian actor Adam Beach steals the film with his portrayal of Ira Hayes.

He really does. That guy doesn't get enough credit. He's great in everything I've seen him in. By the way, Letters is better than Flags.

I've seen two films by Takashi Miike, The Happiness of the Katakuris and The Bird People in China and I really liked both of them. What should I get next? These movies, from what I understand, are not his typical style. Unless the films are really great, I'm not looking for the hyper-violent stuff, but stuff more in the vein of those two.

most of his other movies are really violent and fucked up.
whatever you do, do not watch Visitor Q!
Zebraman and Yokai War are not that violent but didn't really like them.

Katakuris is actually a remake of the korean movie The Quiet Family which is also really good.
i think it's even funnier. check that out.

xmascriminal

QuoteCanadian actor Adam Beach steals the film with his portrayal of Ira Hayes.

He really does. That guy doesn't get enough credit. He's great in everything I've seen him in. By the way, Letters is better than Flags.

I've seen two films by Takashi Miike, The Happiness of the Katakuris and The Bird People in China and I really liked both of them. What should I get next? These movies, from what I understand, are not his typical style. Unless the films are really great, I'm not looking for the hyper-violent stuff, but stuff more in the vein of those two.

most of his other movies are really violent and fucked up.
Zebraman and Yokai War are not that violent but didn't really like them.

Katakuris is actually a remake of the korean movie The Quiet Family which is also really good.
i think it's even funnier. check that out.

I've seen The Quiet Family. Very good movie.

dragonboy

QuoteI remember reading something about about a Korean war/ghost movie a while back that was supposed to be very good, know anything about that?

The poster had a picture of a group of soldiers on it, some of them were ghosts...

R-Point

didn't really like it. kinda boring.
One to avoid then! Thanks Batman!

dragonboy

Quotemost of his other movies are really violent and fucked up.
Just looking at some of the reviews/comments on IMDB...ouch!

Jaimoe

Anyone see any of the Lone Wolf and Cub samurai series? I've seen the first film, Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance. Great stuff: http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:264075

dragonboy

QuoteAnyone see any of the Lone Wolf and Cub samurai series? I've seen the first film, Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance. Great stuff: http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:264075
The only one I've seen is Shogun Assassin, which I just read on allmovie is an edited version of the first 2 movies? How strange!

I remember there were lots of banned 'video-nasties' that got taken off the shelves in the 80s. The video shop I worked in had them all in a box out the back & my mate & I watched them all (Shogun Assassin, Spit on Your Grave, Last House On The Left, Cannibal Holocaust etc)

Jaimoe

One of the video stores that I'm a member of has all the Lone Wolf movies for rent and sale and all are new editions. I love snobby indie movie shops.

dragonboy

If were are really lucky the Japanese rental version has English subtitles (Shall We Dansu?) but that's rare.
If not then buying the movie is my only option.

dragonboy

I put Lone Wolf & Cub into hmv.co.jp's search engine...no movies came up but this did:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/1828183