NCAA Football count down! (updated)

Started by ycartrob, Jun 15, 2008, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corey

I'm actually kind of scared of the AL/Ole Miss game this year because of that guy.

Penny Lane

last night was a very painful experience---luckily i kept drinking until i couldn't see the screen anymore ;-(   my only consolation is that terrell pryor looked great--very poised and his stride is so long. i hope he starts every game from now on...not a good showing for big ten--PSU looked good but it's hard to tell-----i didn't see the wisconsin game
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

BH

Sorry SEC fans, your conference may have been the best over the last several years, and they may be the best of the next several years, but this year, it's the BIG XII.  

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=notebook/gamedayFinal083
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ycartrob

QuoteSorry SEC fans, your conference may have been the best over the last several years, and they may be the best of the next several years, but this year, it's the BIG XII.  

yawn

The SEC was down last year and LSU took the title. Talk to us in January.

Look at these match-ups for Saturday!

Bama at Pig Nation
LSU on the Plains
Vandy invades the Grove
The Gators come to Neyland

(even the Vanderbilt v Ole Miss game will be good)

BH

QuoteSorry SEC fans, your conference may have been the best over the last several years, and they may be the best of the next several years, but this year, it's the BIG XII.  

yawn

The SEC was down last year and LSU took the title. Talk to us in January.

Indeed.  The proof is in the pudding.  But when it comes to yawns, that is how I would describe watching Georgia on Saturday.

And LSU took the title because they lucked out and got to play OSU.

(As you can see I'm just trying to stir up some shit so I can get this thread moving again.   ;))

Come on Brad, give me some stats on why the SEC is better than the Big 12.  (This year.)   What would Vegas come up with for spreads if we played the following games on neutral sites.  That would be interesting.  Hypothetical spreads.

#2 Oklahoma vs. #3 Georgia
#5 Missouri vs. #4 Florida
#7 Texas vs. #6 LSU
#11 Texas Tech #9 Alabama
#19 Kansas #10 Auburn
#27 Oklahoma State vs. #26 Vanderbilt
#33 Nebraska vs. #34 Tennessee      
Colorado vs. Kentucky
Kansas State vs. Arkansas
Iowa State vs. South Carolina
Baylor vs. Mississippi
Texas A&M vs. Mississippi State

I came up with the Big 12 being the favorite in seven and the SEC in five.   And I don't want to brag but they used to call me Parlay Dave in college. ;D
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

TheBigChicken

Parlay Dave. ;D ;D Now that's funny. Should they have called you Trotter :-? ;D ;D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

bowl of soup

That Kansas/Auburn match-up would be interesting.  They could both compare notes on losing to USF.  The Bulls faded last year, but the depleted Big East has me thinking we have a true contender this year.

And apart from USC (who would go 10 and 6 in the NFL), what does the Pac 10 have to offer?  I'm a fully indoctrinated Maryland fan - but we suck.  We barely beat the post-Flacco Blue Hens from Delaware and got our asses handed to us by Middle Tenn. State; then we beat Cal?  And UCLA; hello?  The goal line is supposed to be defended.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Ellis D.

QuoteParlay Dave. ;D ;D Now that's funny. Should they have called you Trotter :-? ;D ;D
Or Shooter....... ;D

mjkoehler

#33 Nebraska vs. #34 Tennessee      
Somehow I do not seeing that as being epic as Frost vs. Manning from the '98 Orange Bowl.

Side note, 9/23 a DVD 5 pack hits netflix. 71 NU/OK, '82 NU/OK (I believe this is the bouncaroskie), and the 3 Nat'l Championships from the 90's. Hot Damn!

EZ- Care to take a trip down memory lane with the 82 game? Man that game was fantastic.

Angry Ewok

QuoteCome on Brad, give me some stats on why the SEC is better than the Big 12.  (This year.)

Well, the SEC has got five teams in the Top 10 before conference play. The BIG 12 has three... That pretty much sums things up by itself, but I'll dig for the stats for the hell of it.

The main thing I look at when judging a team by numbers alone is its defense. I don't care if Missouri puts up 50-something points per game on their high school opponent. I want to know how many points are allowed in the process before the coach starts clearing the benches.

The SEC has got five teams in the Nation's Top 10 scoring defenses. The BIG 12 doesn't have any. We've got four teams in the Top 10 rushing defenses. Ya'll don't have any. We've got three teams in the Top 10 total defenses. Ya'll have one, Kansas State (NR). Special teams are a big deal, as well. The SEC has four athletes in Top 10 punt returns by average. Ya'll don't have any.

Difficulty of schedule? These are subject to change, but currently,

#2 Oklahoma faces 3 ranked teams, one in the Top 10.
#3 Georgia faces 4 ranked teams, all four are in the Top 10.
#4 Florida faces 3 ranked teams, two are in the Top 10.
#5 Missouri faces 3 ranked teams, one in the Top 10.
#6 LSU faces 4 ranked teams, all four are in the Top 10.
#7 Texas faces 4 ranked teams, two are in the Top 10.
#9 Alabama faces 5 ranked teams, all four are in the Top 10.
#10 Auburn faces 4 ranked teams, three are in the Top 10.

As usual, the SEC wins in that department, as well. One should also take into consideration that five out of the twelve SEC Coaches have a National Title ring on their finger. Three more have had a 12-0 or better season in the past five years.

The bottom line is this -

The SEC is just a more enjoyable and more watchable brand of football. Last I checked, the SEC sends more athletes to the NFL and that should be some indicator of quality, too. The BIG 12 came in fifth or sixth place, I think.
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

BH

QuoteCome on Brad, give me some stats on why the SEC is better than the Big 12.  (This year.)

Well, the SEC has got five teams in the Top 10 before conference play. The BIG 12 has three... That pretty much sums things up by itself, but I'll dig for the stats for the hell of it.

The main thing I look at when judging a team by numbers alone is its defense. I don't care if Missouri puts up 50-something points per game on their high school opponent. I want to know how many points are allowed in the process before the coach starts clearing the benches.

The SEC has got five teams in the Nation's Top 10 scoring defenses. The BIG 12 doesn't have any. We've got four teams in the Top 10 rushing defenses. Ya'll don't have any. We've got three teams in the Top 10 total defenses. Ya'll have one, Kansas State (NR). Special teams are a big deal, as well. The SEC has four athletes in Top 10 punt returns by average. Ya'll don't have any.

Difficulty of schedule? These are subject to change, but currently,

#2 Oklahoma faces 3 ranked teams, one in the Top 10.
#3 Georgia faces 4 ranked teams, all four are in the Top 10.
#4 Florida faces 3 ranked teams, two are in the Top 10.
#5 Missouri faces 3 ranked teams, one in the Top 10.
#6 LSU faces 4 ranked teams, all four are in the Top 10.
#7 Texas faces 4 ranked teams, two are in the Top 10.
#9 Alabama faces 5 ranked teams, all four are in the Top 10.
#10 Auburn faces 4 ranked teams, three are in the Top 10.

As usual, the SEC wins in that department, as well. One should also take into consideration that five out of the twelve SEC Coaches have a National Title ring on their finger. Three more have had a 12-0 or better season in the past five years.

The bottom line is this -

The SEC is just a more enjoyable and more watchable brand of football. Last I checked, the SEC sends more athletes to the NFL and that should be some indicator of quality, too. The BIG 12 came in fifth or sixth place, I think.

Now that's what I'm talking about!

I still think the Big 12 is better this year.  Not last year or before, but this year.  So don't give me # of NFL players or national championships because I'm talking about 2008-09.

Your defense argument is compelling and I will certainly give you the overall nod there.  However, keep in mind, when a team, like MU for example, scores on every series, and the average time of possesion for a drive is like two minutes because of the hurry up as well as the stupid college football clock rule, the other team always has the ball.   So eventually, yes, they are going to move the ball.  If you are a good hard nose running team like a lot of the SEC teams are, and you win the time of possesion, then your defense (yardage) is naturally going to be better.   (Plus the SEC has already played some conference games so no wonder their defense has been good. ;)  The Auburn game alone last week skewed the numbers. ;D)

And punt returns?  Don't even go there.  You obviously have not seen this guy play-->   (Including his kickoff return against Illinois, and his record last year for being the only player in the nation to record touchdowns via receiving (9), rushing (4), punt return (2) and kickoff return (1) plus his record for most all purpose yards in a season EVER in the NCAA by a freshman.)

But I digress.

TheBigChicken

I'm a UGA fan but I  live in Tampa. The USF Bulls are a exciting team with one of the best coaches in the NCAA Jim Leavitt. Matt Grothe is on the Jim Rome Show today. 620 WDAE in Tampa or www.620wdae.com to listen live
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

BH

Leaders in Yards Per Play.

1. Mizzou (8.30)
2. Oklahoma State (7.9)
3. Arkansas State (7.7)
4. Ball State (7.6)
5. Texas Tech (7.5)
6. Penn State (7.4)
7. Navy (7.3)
8. Baylor (7.2)
9. Georgia (7.1)
10. Oklahoma (7.0)

Ellis D.

Are you a MIZZOU fan or somethin'?

Elspeth

Anyone else here a Jayhawk? Anyone? I've seen some Mizzou fans.

bearass

BH

QuoteAnyone else here a Jayhawk? Anyone? I've seen some Mizzou fans.

There was one, but we ran him out of here immediately.  ;)

Not really, we welcome all types of hawks, even chickenhawks.

corey

Crispy

QuoteLeaders in Yards Per Play.

1. Mizzou (8.30)
2. Oklahoma State (7.9)
3. Arkansas State (7.7)
4. Ball State (7.6)
5. Texas Tech (7.5)
6. Penn State (7.4)
7. Navy (7.3)
8. Baylor (7.2)
9. Georgia (7.1)
10. Oklahoma (7.0)
Sweet! Something that OSU is good at - at least until we play some real competition...
How about Big 12 quarterbacks? There can be no denying that it's got the best crop of QBs:

Rank   Name      Team      Rating
1      David Johnson      Tulsa      241.58
2      Sam Bradford      Oklahoma      214.43
3      Josh Freeman      Kansas St      209.3
4      Chase Daniel      Missouri      197.48
5      Christian Ponder      FSU      193.29
6      Nate Davis      Ball State      189.37
7      Max Hall      BYU      186.82
8      Colt McCoy      Texas      185.24
9      Rudy Carpenter      Ariz St      183.56
10      Kellen Moore      Boise St      182.7
11      Zac Robinson      Okla St      179.18

(I had to get my guy in there at #11) ;)
Pat Forde likes em too: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&page=dash0803&sportCat=ncf
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Elspeth

QuoteWhat about shithawks?

Okay then! Just asking...