NCAA Football count down! (updated)

Started by ycartrob, Jun 15, 2008, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aMillionDreams

yeah, that sucked how they treated Boekmann.  There are few reasons for a home crowd to boo their own and throwing a simple incompletion isn't one of them.  I think that happens more these days all over the place.  I heard LSU's dean asked their fans not to boo the home team.  Should he really have to say that?  I was at a Reds game when fans were booing Adam Dunn for not legging out a double.  I couldn't believe it.  I mean, I wanted to boo too but I didn't because that's just against the rules. or it should be.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Angry Ewok

2008 NCAA Football Rankings - Week 4 (Sept. 21)

AP Top 25

1. USC (62) 2-0 1,621
2. Oklahoma 3-0 1,484
3. Georgia (2) 4-0 1,475
4. Florida (1) 3-0 1,442
5. LSU 3-0 1,363
6. Missouri 4-0 1,360
7. Texas 3-0 1,174
8. Alabama 4-0 1,132
9. Wisconsin 3-0 1,091
10. Texas Tech 4-0 962
11. Brigham Young 4-0 919
12. Penn State 4-0 891
13. South Florida 4-0 798
14. Ohio State 3-1 790
15. Auburn 3-1 785
16. Wake Forest 3-0 711
17. Utah 4-0 574
18. Kansas 3-1 555
19. Boise State 3-0 363
20. Clemson 3-1 300
21. Vanderbilt 4-0 242
22. Illinois 2-1 224
23. East Carolina 3-1 201
24. TCU 4-0 117
25. Fresno State 2-1 105
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

Angry Ewok

In five weeks of football, this will be the second time ESPN Gameday features a Top 10 team hosting the underdog Alabama Crimson Tide. Not bad at all. That, on top of being on the cover of Forbes and Sports Illustrated, is really great exposure for our program and great news for our recruiting.

As for the game itself... #8 Alabama @ #3 Georgia is undoubtedly going to be a slobber knocker. Look at these stats...

Scoring Offense
Georgia      -      #27
Alabama      -      #44

Scoring Defense
Alabama      -      #9
Georgia      -      #27

Rushing Offense
Alabama      -      #23
Georgia      -      #30

Rushing Defense
Alabama      -       #1
Georgia      -      #12

Passing Offense
Georgia      -      #36
Alabama      -      #88

Passing Defense
Alabama      -      #42
Georgia      -      #87

Total Offense
Georgia      -      #31
Alabama      -      #55

Total Defense
Alabama      -      #13
Georgia      -      #40

Alabama looks great in some places, but Georgia is much more balanced. Alabama has got to keep Georgia's offense off of the field for as long as possible... that means more than just running the ball, because Georgia is obviously capable of holding a run if they keep eight in the box and don't have to worry about the quarterback scrambling or passing. Meanwhile, our return defense has got to improve on those kicks... we're allowing way, way too many yards. I'm sick of seeing those lame shoulder "tackles" instead of actual wrap tackles.

Special Teams

Punt Returns
Alabama      -      #14
Georgia      -      #25

Punt Return Defense
Alabama      -      #44
Georgia      -      #62

Kick Returns
Alabama      -      #37
Georgia      -      #80

Kick Return Defense
Georgia      -      #45
Alabama      -      #80

One thing all of the stats fail to measure, though, is that Georgia has an inflated ego that typically gets them in trouble. A very thin Alabama team took Georgia into overtime, last year... this year we've got discipline, a competent offensive coordinator, and more than a dozen healthy, motivated freshmen on the field. The defense is hot, too. If Georgia comes into this game thinking they're ready for USC, they might just get walloped by Alabama. Remember this... Alabama has got nothing to lose, and Georgia has everything to lose in a BCS Title-Or-Bust mindset and an entire off-season of National Title expectations to carry on their shoulders.

Saturday is so far away...

Angry Ewok

Oh, this is hilarious... You know your conference is a joke when your commissioner is pleading that the conference is much harder than everyone says it is.

Big Ten's Crying Jimmy Delany: 'Top teams competing at very high level'
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3599079

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany stuck up for his league a week after another lopsided loss in a big game by Ohio State.

The Buckeyes may have flopped last week against top-ranked Southern California, but that doesn't mean the Big Ten is down, Delany said. He cited conference victories in other high-profile games, such as Big Ten wins over Southeastern Conference squads in non-BCS bowl games.

"I feel like our top teams are competing at a very high level. We play the SEC year in and year out and more than hold our own," Delany said before No. 16 Penn State's game Saturday against Temple.

"The Big Ten has been strong for a long time. If we're not Number 1, if we're 2 or 3 or 4, people see it as a down year," he said. "Maybe it's a game of not meeting expectations, and the expectations are high."

Especially with THE! Ohio State 0-9'ers, which has won three straight conference titles [Which is meaningless in a conference that doesn't have a championship game...]. But the Buckeyes have also been blown out in the last two BCS title games, to SEC teams Florida and LSU.

In last season's non-BCS games against the SEC, Michigan beat Florida 41-35, but Wisconsin lost to Tennessee 21-17 Against other major-conference Nittany Lions beat the Big 12's Texas A&M 24-17, Indiana lost Oklahoma State 49-33, and Michigan State lost to Boston College of the ACC 24-21.

Illinois didn't fare that well in the Rose Bowl, where it was routed by USC 49-17.

Detractors need to look at the Big Ten's results against other power conferences over the last 10 or 15 years to get a better comparison of conference strength, Delany said.

"But I just don't extrapolate as much as some do. You have to look at it over time," he said. "I feel pretty good."

Delany also said negotiations for the BCS's new television deal with Fox "are just beginning," as they were expected to this fall. Fox has a "preferred window of negotiations," he said.

The BCS has two years left on its current four-year, $320 million TV deal with Fox.

TheBigChicken

that picture is starting to worry me :-/ :-/
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Ellis D.

QuoteUGA v ALA is turning out to be a barn burner
DAWGS all the way!!!

TheBigChicken

QuoteUGA v ALA is turning out to be a barn burner
DAWGS all the way!!!
;) ;) ;)

TheBigChicken

http://onlineathens.com/stories/092308/foo_335699773.shtml   Talk about an institution...Larry Munson WILL be missed at UGA in the booth. A new era will begin Saturday. Hopefully it will start with a Bama ASS KICKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ycartrob

Quotehttp://onlineathens.com/stories/092308/foo_335699773.shtml   Talk about an institution...Larry Munson WILL be missed at UGA in the booth. A new era will begin Saturday. Hopefully it will start with a Bama ASS KICKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about a little side bet between Ewok and RC? Avatars?  ::)

Angry Ewok

I've been saying since before the season that we'll go 9-3 with a losses to Georgia, LSU, and a team we shouldn't lose to... I think Georgia and Florida are the #3 and #2 teams in the Nation, and Alabama is the #2 team in the West.

...But I'll go ahead and take an avatar bet because I'm a good sport and a good fan...

Georgia has a lousy passing defense and their O-Line is weak. John Parker Wilson is going to have a career game. Our running backs are going to put on a show. We're going to punch Georgia in the mouth. What? I said we're going to punch Georgia in the mouth. Smashmouth football, war in the trenches. Run the line into the stands. Run into the stands and slap their momma's. Georgia isn't man enough.

#3 Georgia is not man enough to beat #8 Alabama.

ycartrob

QuoteI've been saying since before the season that we'll go 9-3 with a losses to Georgia, LSU, and a team we shouldn't lose to... I think Georgia and Florida are the #3 and #2 teams in the Nation, and Alabama is the #2 team in the West.

...But I'll go ahead and take an avatar bet because I'm a good sport and a good fan...

Georgia has a lousy passing defense and their O-Line is weak. John Parker Wilson is going to have a career game. Our running backs are going to put on a show. We're going to punch Georgia in the mouth. What? I said we're going to punch Georgia in the mouth. Smashmouth football, war in the trenches. Run the line into the stands. Run into the stands and slap their momma's. Georgia isn't man enough.

OK, so what you're saying is that all Georgia fans are pussies...

EAZYE

I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

corey

I'm interested to see how Moreno does against the Bama defense. We kept Clemson to 0 rushing yards. I'd like to think that we can limit Moreno as well. I don't expect to hold him to 0, but if we could keep him under 100 yards I'd be pleased.

TheBigChicken

QuoteI've been saying since before the season that we'll go 9-3 with a losses to Georgia, LSU, and a team we shouldn't lose to... I think Georgia and Florida are the #3 and #2 teams in the Nation, and Alabama is the #2 team in the West.

OK, so what you're saying is that all Georgia fans are pussies...

Now Tracy are you putting words in Ewoks mouth...I hope so because Georgia is gonna put their cleats in Bamas ASSSSSSSSSSSSS

capt. scotty

I think UGA is going to pull this 1 out but I think Bama covers the spread and has a decent shot at winning

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

BH

Conference Rankings based on the USA Today Coaches Poll (total points.)   See Brad, it didn't come out in my favor but I'm still posting it! ;)

THE BEST
SEC          5708 pts.
Big 12       5469 pts.

THE REST
Big 10       2910 pts.
Pac 10      1711 pts.
Mtn West   1610 pts.
ACC         1123 pts.
Big East      791 pts.
WAC           382 pts.
CUSA          105 pts.
Mid-Amer      16 pts.

Mtn West ahead of the ACC and Big East and almost ahead of the PAC 10.  Oh my.  When did they stop playing football on the Coasts?

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ellis D.

QuoteYou silly guys with all of your talk of SEC and BIG 12. You really need to keep your eyes on the BIG SKY conference. GO LUMBERJACKS!!!
Yeah! Go UNC Bears! ;D
We are coming off of a resounding 19-14 win over Southern Utah, so watch out Bears here comes a Lumberjack with a double sided axe!  ;)

Crispy

UNC lost a heartbreaker to Texas State - down by 3, the Bears drove the field to the Texas St. 1 yard line with 19 secs to go. On the next play, the QB fumbles the ball away and Texas St. wins.  :'(
Look out, they're gonna take out their frustrations on Northern Arizona this week!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"