NCAA Football count down! (updated)

Started by ycartrob, Jun 15, 2008, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomEisenbraun

Your avatar's lookin a little outdated there, Mr. Brad...
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Angry Ewok

My condolences to the Bulldawgs. At least you were dressed appropriately.

To say BAMA handled business in the first half is an understatement. Glenn Coffee rushed for twice as many yards as Noshow Moreno. Julio Jones picked up a touchdown and about 100 yards, too, I think. AJ Green didn't do bad, at all, either. We didn't get to show off our freshman running back, Mark Ingram, because after he picked up his first touchdown on a twisted ankle, he sat out the remainder of the game.

As is, though, we're not finishing games the way we need to. Saban takes most of our key defensive players out in the fourth quarter, but I'm still worried that we allowed Georgia to have 30 points they didn't deserve. It's not a big deal now, but injuries will take their toll soon so we need our second and third string guys to do better.

We're not a Top 5 team, the stars have just aligned thus far and we look better than we really are. Once again, though, an under-dog Alabama team beats a Top 10 team in an away game hosted by ESPN Gameday. This is huge for our recruiting.

Nothing to lose, everything to gain. But here's to a third trip to Georgia, anyway.

8-)
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

TheBigChicken

Yeah the final score was not even close. Bama man handled the Dawgs from start to finish. They need to cram those black jerseys up each others ASSES. Congrats Brad. Need Alka Seltzer now. The Dawgs aren't the only ones who sported a "blackout" :-[ :-/ ::) :D ;D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

corey

It was good to see Bama dominate in the first half like that. I'm not sure what happened in the 3rd quarter, but you gotta give some credit to the dawgs for not giving up. I thought that showed a lot of heart.

I was also impressed by JP Wilson. I think he's matured quite a bit. He didn't really have any overthrown, shitty passes this game. A couple of his incompletions were thrown out of bounds because no one was open. Glad to see him making some smart decisions this year.

I would also like to add that for the first time in forever, I'm kinda sweating the Bama/Ole Miss matchup. That Ole Miss team scares me this year.

Angry Ewok

Angry Ewok

A/P Poll Top 25 (Week 5)

1. Oklahoma (43) 4-0 1,599
2. Alabama (21) 5-0 1,565
3. LSU 4-0 1,466
4. Missouri (1) 4-0 1,453
5. Texas 4-0 1,362

6. Penn State 5-0 1,252
7. Texas Tech 4-0 1,105
8. Brigham Young 4-0 1,098
9. USC 2-1 1,087
10. South Florida 5-0 1,035

11. Georgia 4-1 1,018
12. Florida 3-1 914
13. Auburn 4-1 860
14. Ohio State 4-1 829

15. Utah 5-0 713
16. Kansas 3-1 650
17. Boise State 3-0 549
18. Wisconsin 3-1 520
19. Vanderbilt 4-0 459
20. Virginia Tech 4-1 290

21. Oklahoma State 4-0 277
22. Fresno State 3-1 232
23. Oregon 4-1 199
24. Connecticut 5-0 126
25. Wake Forest 3-1 107

Others Receiving Votes

Maryland 46, Michigan State 42, Kentucky 40, Ball State 38, Northwestern 32, Tulsa 32, TCU 30, Illinois 24, North Carolina 21, Florida State 14, Mississippi 13, Georgia Tech 10, California 5, Nebraska 5, Oregon State 3, Boston College 3, Colorado 2.

Dropped From Rankings
Clemson 20, Illinois 22, East Carolina 23, TCU 24.

Angry Ewok

USC doesn't deserve to be ranked above Georgia.

Angry Ewok

Or in the Top 10, for that matter.

capt. scotty

QuoteUSC doesn't deserve to be ranked above Georgia.

def not...Florida should even be ahead of USC, IMO

Im surprised Wisconsin didnt fall to the 20's considering who they lost to

Im surpised both Bama and LSU leapfrogged Mizzou. I think both are more well rounded teams, but Mizzou has games coming up that wouldve determined whether they held onto #2 or fell

Glad to see my Nittany Lions at #6. Thats where they should be
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Angry Ewok

1. Oklahoma 4-0
2. Alabama 5-0
3. LSU 4-0
4. Missouri 4-0
5. Texas 4-0
6. Penn State 5-0
7. Texas Tech 4-0
8. Brigham Young 4-0
9. USC 2-1
10. South Florida 5-0
11. Georgia 4-1
12. Florida 3-1
13. Auburn 4-1

QuoteIm surpised both Bama and LSU leapfrogged Mizzou. I think both are more well rounded teams, but Mizzou has games coming up that wouldve determined whether they held onto #2 or fell

You shouldn't be too surprised. Missouri was idle, this week, for one. There are also some serious questions about Missouri's defense. Buffalo put up 21 on the Tigers and that doesn't look good from the box. Statistically speaking, Bowling Green and Western Kentucky have better defenses. On the other hand, LSU is a defending National Champion with an away win against a Top 10 Auburn, and Alabama beat two Top 10 teams rather soundly from the visitor's side of the field.

Agreed 100% about Penn State. They are the real deal and were getting shafted in all of the polls up until this point.

capt. scotty

Like I said, I think Bama and LSU are both better - certainly more well rounded - teams than Mizzou at this point.

My reasoning was they play Nebraska and OK St the next couple weeks, then Texas. If they lose any of those games, then obviously those 2 teams would be ahead of them.

If they win all 3, it makes more sense they held their position ahead of them because if they beat Texas there is no reason they shouldnt be #2

My point is, if Mizzou stayed at #2, everything would work its way out anyway
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

mjkoehler

QuoteLike I said, I think Bama and LSU are both better - certainly more well rounded - teams than Mizzou at this point.

My reasoning was they play Nebraska and OK St the next couple weeks, then Texas. If they lose any of those games, then obviously those 2 teams would be ahead of them.

If they win all 3, it makes more sense they held their position ahead of them because if they beat Texas there is no reason they shouldnt be #2

My point is, if Mizzou stayed at #2, everything would work its way out anyway
The diehard Husker fan in me says that NU is gonna kick their ass!  :P The realist in me just doesn't see NU surviving with the horrible defense they have this season.  :'(

Crispy

Texas Tech #7? Puhleeze. Maybe after they've beaten somebody. The effect of preseason rankings really chaps my ass. Not that anybody gives a shit, but let's compare and contrast them with Oklahoma State (#21), a new entry in the top 25:

Tech
8/30       Eastern Washington       W 49-24
9/06       @ Nevada                      W 35-19
9/13       Southern Methodist       W 43-7
9/20       Massachusetts               W 56-14

OK State
8/30       @ Washington State       W 39-13
9/06       Houston                       W 56-37
9/13       Missouri State              W 57-13
9/27       Troy                        W 55-24

Sagarin schedule rank:
18  Texas Tech           61.27( 129)
22  Oklahoma State    62.97( 120)

PF      PA
Oklahoma State     207      87
Texas Tech              183      64

A little better in strength of opponents, OSU is 24 points better on offense while Tech is 23 points better on defense - yet Tech is better than USC, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, and Ohio State? Tech is good, but they should be around 15-20, not in the top 10 just because too many writers want to pick this year's Kansas. Preseason rankings can hurt the importance of the actual season - just ask Auburn about 2004.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

BH

QuoteThere are also some serious questions about Missouri's defense. Buffalo put up 21 on the Tigers and that doesn't look good from the box. Statistically speaking, Bowling Green and Western Kentucky have better defenses.

I realize that I'm not going to convince you guys that Mizzou's defense is not that bad (actually I think they are quite good and the reason why will go further this year) until we play some bigger games, and I understand that.  However, against Buffalo, the defense only gave up 14 points as 7 came from a kickoff return.   Total yards was 590-286!!!

And last but definately not least, my favorite statistic, we only gave up 49 yards rushing.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

capt. scotty

I dont know if I posted in here or not Crispy, but im with you that preseason polls are FUCT

My primary evidence was WVU being a preseason Top 10, and they have at least 2 losses all ready

Tech has no business being where theyre at, but theyll be playing some good Big 12 teams soon, so itll all work out

Ellis D.

Ellis D.

QuoteUNC lost a heartbreaker to Texas State - down by 3, the Bears drove the field to the Texas St. 1 yard line with 19 secs to go. On the next play, the QB fumbles the ball away and Texas St. wins.  :'(
Look out, they're gonna take out their frustrations on Northern Arizona this week!

25-22 Lumberjacks win! You owe me a steak dinner....... ;)

Angry Ewok

Great article from Cecil Hurt, [link=http://www.tidesports.com/article/20080928/NEWS/809280278/1067/NEWS?Title=CECIL_HURT__Alabama_can_t_be_ignored_]Alabama Can't Be Ignored[/link]

One could imagine Nick Saban, four-and-a-half games into the season, weeping a silent tear, saddened, like Alexander the Great, that there was no challenge against which his greatness, and that of his football team, could be measured.

;D

TheBigChicken

stop it. you guys are acting like a division 2 team that has never been there. this is not a feel good story. you guys have several national championships so cut the shit ...you've won 5 games .congrats. the phoenix has arisen from the ashes. roll tide. just stop all the"I can't believe this is happening" shit
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry