NCAA Football count down! (updated)

Started by ycartrob, Jun 15, 2008, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

QuotePSU could be 3 in the BCS. I'd be shocked if they were 4. Either way, there is too much season left. Penn State just needs to stay focused and not repeat 1999. What happens after that is out of their control.

I don't see TT winning the next four. Something will happen and they'll slip up. It's far too common not to happen.

I really dont care if PSU is even 4 at this point, bc as long as they play each game like its NC game, theyre going undefeated and will be in the Top 2 by season's end

TT will not go through the Big 12 and its championship game undefeated. Theyre not near as good on the road as at home.

If I was a Bama fan, I would not want to play Florida

As a PSU fan, I want to play Bama bc I think we undoubtedly match up better against a team whose strength is the running game.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Angry Ewok

QuoteAs a PSU fan, I want to play Bama bc I think we undoubtedly match up better against a team whose strength is the running game.

Has Penn State seen a running game, this year?
--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

brkndwnbus

PSU stays at 3, which is fine with me. I don't want them in the top 2 until after they take care of the three remaining games. Keep the players with something to play hard for, without losing focus and getting overconfident.

take care of Iowa, handle Indiana, and then handle business with Mich St. That's all there is to do.

Angry Ewok

BCS Standings (Nov. 2, 2008)

1. Alabama 9-0
2. Texas Tech 9-0
3. Penn State 9-0
4. Texas 8-1
5. Florida 7-1

6. Oklahoma 8-1
7. USC 7-1
8. Utah 9-0
9. Oklahoma State 8-1
10. Boise State 8-0

11. Ohio State 7-2
12. TCU 9-1
13. Georgia 7-2
14. Missouri 7-2
15. BYU 8-1

16. LSU 6-2
17. Ball State 8-0
18. Michigan State 8-2
19. North Carolina 6-2
20. Georgia Tech 7-2

21. California 6-2
22. Florida State 6-2
23. Maryland 6-2
24. Northwestern 7-2
25. West Virginia 6-2

capt. scotty

QuoteAs a PSU fan, I want to play Bama bc I think we undoubtedly match up better against a team whose strength is the running game.

Umm...Beanie Wells/OSU, PJHill&Clay/Wisconsin, Jacquizz Rodgers/Oregon St.

In 2 of the next 3 week well see Javon Ringer whose #1 in rushing in the NCAA and Shonne Green who at least as of last week was in the Top 5

Id say that def counts as some teams with very good running games. I know youre in the SEC, but you can lighten up on the supriority thing. Where as the Big 12 has the best passing offenses in the country, its quite possible the Big 10 has the best rushing offenses

I think our schedule actually has more teams with good running games than Bama. I only see Clemson, Georgia, and soon to play LSU on yours

...And that wasnt a knock on Bama in my previous post, just that our strength is our run D and all of the other teams with a shot at the NCG are teams whose strength is the pass game
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ycartrob

In 2 of the next 3 week well see Javon Ringer whose #1 in rushing in the NCAA and Shonne Green who at least as of last week was in the Top 5

Id say that def counts as some teams with very good running games. I know youre in the SEC, but you can lighten up on the supriority thing. Where as the Big 12 has the best passing offenses in the country, its quite possible the Big 10 has the best rushing offenses

I think our schedule actually has more teams with good running games than Bama. I only see Clemson, Georgia, and soon to play LSU on yours

Clemson has the 90th ranked rushing offense in college football, 123 YPG; I hardly call that "good".

Some notable Rush Offense Rankings

21st WISCONSIN
26th IOWA
29th LSU
37th ILLINOIS
42nd OLE MISS
43rd OHIO STATE
45th OREGON STATE
46th GEORGIA
60th MICHIGAN STATE
90th CLEMSON

EAZYE

Quoteyeah, it was a great win especially against tubberville, who is hated in Oxford. We might even go bowling unless we flop.

I see Florida and Penn State in the BCS title game, even though I see the Big 12 as having the best conference this year. I believe Texas Tech loses and Florida jumps to number 2 ahead of a couple of 1 loss Big 12 teams and USC. And everyone will cry and gnash their teeth... Hopefully the LSU/Bama game will live up to it's billing b/c every other "big" SEC game this year has been a blow out (Bama/UGA- FLA/LSU- LSU/UGA- FLA-UGA). I don't see the SEC as powerful this year against the likes of Oklahoma and Texas Tech and Texas, I think they got us beat; they just look bigger and quicker. I mean, Georgia and LSU were obviously overrated out of the chute, I can't think of one really good team that either of them has beaten this year and we saw what Florida did to both of them.

But, I am pulling for upsets and conrtoversy so we can eventually get a playoff.

RESPECT Tracy, I have no problem saying that the SEC has Dominated the past two years, but think the Big 12 takes the cake this year.
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

ycartrob

Quoteyeah, it was a great win especially against tubberville, who is hated in Oxford. We might even go bowling unless we flop.

I see Florida and Penn State in the BCS title game, even though I see the Big 12 as having the best conference this year. I believe Texas Tech loses and Florida jumps to number 2 ahead of a couple of 1 loss Big 12 teams and USC. And everyone will cry and gnash their teeth... Hopefully the LSU/Bama game will live up to it's billing b/c every other "big" SEC game this year has been a blow out (Bama/UGA- FLA/LSU- LSU/UGA- FLA-UGA). I don't see the SEC as powerful this year against the likes of Oklahoma and Texas Tech and Texas, I think they got us beat; they just look bigger and quicker. I mean, Georgia and LSU were obviously overrated out of the chute, I can't think of one really good team that either of them has beaten this year and we saw what Florida did to both of them.

But, I am pulling for upsets and conrtoversy so we can eventually get a playoff.

RESPECT Tracy, I have no problem saying that the SEC has Dominated the past two years, but think the Big 12 takes the cake this year.

well, I'm just an old fart who's been watching college football for about 40 years.

EAZYE

QuoteAP

1. Alabama (46) 9-0 1,600 2. Texas Tech (12) 9-0 1,528 3. Penn State (6) 9-0 1,525 4. Florida (1) 7-1 1,398 5. Texas 8-1 1,353

I think Bama and TT both lose, and then the BS that is the BCS will begin.

Enough of the scam that is the BCS. Enough. Once we do have a playoff, we will look back and ask ourselves why we let the scam go on for so long. I'll give the 8 team format a whirl; can you imagine the excitement (and integrity) this would offer? (if the season ended today; of course some of the Big 12 would filter out and hopefully a Boise St. or Utah would feed in.)

1. Alabama vs 8. Oklahoma State
2. Texas Tech vs 7. USC
3. Penn State vs 6. Oklahoma  
4. Florida vs 5. Texas    

But no, the rich cats actually think a 1 game format is the best.

scam city.

Would love to see us play Penn State in the first round of a playoff.  Don't think they can keep up with us.  If we could sell out on the run that game would turn into a blood bath!

Angry Ewok

QuoteI know youre in the SEC, but you can lighten up on the supriority thing.

You sound mighty defensive. I'm just wondering if Penn State has seen a rushing game?

QuoteI think our schedule actually has more teams with good running games than Bama.

That's very possible, but the stats make it impossible to tell. Alabama is the best rushing defense in the country, allowing 60 yards per game - and only one rushing touchdown all year long. Between Alabama and Penn State, Alabama has faced the highest ranked in Rushing Offense - and that was Arkansas State. See what I mean about stats? Anyway, we kept them to 90 yards. You mentioned Georgia? 50 yards. You mentioned Clemson? 0.

Coastal Carolina, Oregon State, Syracuse, Temple, Illinois, Purdue, Wisconsin, Michigan, and Turf-Toe Ohio don't exactly scream out "Rushing Powerhouse" to me and that's why I asked the question.

p.s. Tracy's numbers were out of date, here's the current Rushing Offense numbers between Alabama and Penn State's victims...

BAMA

12. Arkansas State
39. Georgia
48. Mississippi
56. Tulane
60. Western Kentucky
78. Arkansas
79. Clemson
88. Kentucky
101. Tennessee

PENN ST.

26. Illinois
26. Wisconsin
38. Oregon State
44. Ohio State
61. Syracuse
71. Michigan
98. Purdue
111. Temple
N/A. Coastal Carolina

EAZYE

ycartrob

p.s. Tracy's numbers were out of date, here's the current Rushing Offense numbers between Alabama and Penn State's victims...

My stats come from the Official NCAA web site and dated through games of November 1st. You got a problem with it then take it up with them.

http://statistics.ncaafootball.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=ncaa-football&page=cfoot/stat/ncaa-team-rushing.htm

and this backs it up
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&rpt=IA_teamrush&site=org

really, check it out.

capt. scotty

Clemson has the 90th ranked rushing offense in college football, 123 YPG; I hardly call that "good".

Some notable Rush Offense Rankings

21st WISCONSIN
26th IOWA
29th LSU
37th ILLINOIS
42nd OLE MISS
43rd OHIO STATE
45th OREGON STATE
46th GEORGIA
60th MICHIGAN STATE
90th CLEMSON

So were in agreement by the end of the season PSU has played tougher running teams?! AWESOME

And I almost didnt mention Clemson, but Davis and Spiller have both had a good amount of carries and have a nice YPC, so I threw them in

OSU would easily be higher if Pryor had played all game each week and Wells didnt miss a few weeks. I dont know what that turf toe comment for OSU was Ewok, but we played them when Pryor hit his stride for the season so far and Wells head played healthy the last couple weeks before that game (and had an ankle problem that kept him out before)

And I understand your point on stats Ewok, which is why I didnt even list Ark St bc im not even sure what conference they play in, maybe the Big Midwestern Sky Conference, who knows.

I am surprised that Mich St is only 60th though while also having the leading rusher in the NCAA though

ycartrob

I am surprised that Mich St is only 60th though while also having the leading rusher in the NCAA though

Ringer averages 142 while the rest of the team averages 6

ycartrob

QuoteAlabama is the best rushing defense in the country, allowing 60 yards per game - and only one rushing touchdown all year long.

What part of your ass are you pulling your stats from? TCU is #1 and allows 38.9 rushing yards a game. Bama is 2nd at 65.6

http://statistics.ncaafootball.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=ncaa-football&page=cfoot/stat/ncaa-team-rushing-defense.htm

you're just making shit up  ;D

I mean, c'mon ewok, capt.headdy is making you look bad and you're not helping by tauting the great feat of holding the Sun Belt powerhouse that is the 4-4 Arkansas State Red Wolves to 91 yards rushing. You got the #1 team in the nation, act like it! Don't play the Sun Belt card!  ;D  Paul Bear Bryant is turning in his grave knowing he has fans talking smack about beating the shit out of a Sun Belt team.

let's try to represent the SEC a little bit better here.

EAZYE

capt. scotty

QuoteAlabama is the best rushing defense in the country, allowing 60 yards per game - and only one rushing touchdown all year long.

What part of your ass are you pulling your stats from? TCU is #1 and allows 38.9 rushing yards a game. Bama is 2nd at 65.6

http://statistics.ncaafootball.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=ncaa-football&page=cfoot/stat/ncaa-team-rushing-defense.htm

you're just making shit up  ;D

I mean, c'mon ewok, capt.headdy is making you look bad and you're not helping by tauting the great feat of holding the Sun Belt powerhouse that is the 4-4 Arkansas State Red Wolves to 91 yards rushing. You got the #1 team in the nation, act like it! Don't play the Sun Belt card!  ;D

let's try to represent the SEC a little bit better here.

Im glad we can agree on something Tracy

Angry Ewok

I don't think you're even trying, anymore, Tracy. You used to bring your A game when it came to busting people's balls, but here lately you're just half-assing an effort. You see my name and you phone it in. Have you lost your mojo?

I never thought I would see the day where Tracy is deduced to stepping into a conversation, where two people aren't even disagreeing with one another, and saying, "Oh, he's making you look bad!"

What happened to the master of shit stirring? What is wrong with you, Tracy? We're all worried sick about you. Ole Miss is having a good year - they beat Auburn, didn't they? They beat Florida, too. Going 7-5 isn't anything to be ashamed of in a first year effort. Better days are ahead. The best days of your life are ahead of you. Cheer up.

Penny Lane

that's BS that PSU got jumped! damn computers---!! oh well, no 1 is the death spot, anyway.

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Angry Ewok