NCAA Football count down! (updated)

Started by ycartrob, Jun 15, 2008, 03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

QuoteIt's never bad seeing lsu lose. :)

I hear ya. With gooblatz back there at QB for LSU, I like the Rebels chances this year in Baton Rogue.

BH

I'm in Chicago for work.  Looks like I missed a crazy day!  How in the hell does Penn State lose to Iowa?  Wow.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Angry Ewok

--- and that's 2 real 4 u.

purvis9876

Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

Angry Ewok

Dude, when I sober up I'm gonna thank you - cause we need all the help and support we can get. RTR!

capt. scotty

QuoteI'm in Chicago for work.  Looks like I missed a crazy day!  How in the hell does Penn State lose to Iowa?  Wow.

We lost to Iowa bc we absolutely blew in the 4th quarter.

To Iowa's credit though, they were 5-4, but their 4 losses were by a combined total of 12 points. It was at Iowa, in 30 degree temperature. They had hand warmers on their sideline, we had none to our advantage. There were 35 MPH winds the entire game that totally killed our passing offense (that, and to dropped 1st down passes on our last 3 drives), and did not affect their offense as much since they rarely pass and have the 3rd leading rusher in the NCAA

Our playcalling for most of the game was horseshit. They couldnt stopped the run more the most part, but we continued to call stupid end arounds and gimmick plays

In the 1st half, they stopped 3 of our redzone drives (including stopping us from inside the 2yd line 3 consecutive play to force an FG)

All that combined with our pass defense blowing on the last drive (and a questionable PI call on a 3rd&long, add up to why we lost

Sorry JoePa  :(
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

brkndwnbus

QuoteI'm in Chicago for work.  Looks like I missed a crazy day!  How in the hell does Penn State lose to Iowa?  Wow.

We lost to Iowa bc we absolutely blew in the 4th quarter.

To Iowa's credit though, they were 5-4, but their 4 losses were by a combined total of 12 points. It was at Iowa, in 30 degree temperature. They had hand warmers on their sideline, we had none to our advantage. There were 35 MPH winds the entire game that totally killed our passing offense (that, and to dropped 1st down passes on our last 3 drives), and did not affect their offense as much since they rarely pass and have the 3rd leading rusher in the NCAA

Our playcalling for most of the game was horseshit. They couldnt stopped the run more the most part, but we continued to call stupid end arounds and gimmick plays

In the 1st half, they stopped 3 of our redzone drives (including stopping us from inside the 2yd line 3 consecutive play to force an FG)

All that combined with our pass defense blowing on the last drive (and a questionable PI call on a 3rd&long, add up to why we lost

Sorry JoePa  :(

I can agree on not punching the ball in the endzone enough. That was the main problem. If someone wants to say that Clark didn't look comfortable back there, I can lean that way a little. But I can't complain about the refs. The roughing the punter call was questionable. That could have been running into the kicker just as easy in iowa's fans' eyes. This was the Penn State scheme that us fans have beem used to on the road for years and it ruined Joe Pa's last shot at a title. They lose way too much after this season to expect another season like this next year. And to be honest, I thought PSU would be 9-3 heading into the bowl game, so if they go 11-1 and to a BCS, I'll be thrilled.

My main concern was letting Iowa go down and PSU not using the timeouts to at least maybe have 30seconds or so to try to put something together for a field goal. You need to at least give the team a chance, not let them waste the clock down to 6 seconds.

I was so looking forward to my trips to State College the next two weekends, now it's lost a lot of luster. But if the Rose Bowl comes PSU's way, I'll head out there for it.

Penny Lane

congrats, brad---!

PSU fans, that game sucked---i was hoping the wind would pick up even more for the field goal at the end--heartbreaker for a lot of big ten fans (IMO); your passing game was totally shut down ;-(  sorry Joe Pa---i was hoping this would mean a chance at the nat'l title.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

megalicious

all facts begin as dreams dreamt by the wizard

corey

I love that video above, but we sure didn't beat the hell out of the Tigers. We won that by the skin of our teeth. There was some very sloppy play in the first half, but they were able to redeem themselves in the 2nd half. I'm glad that the team has learned how to finish games in the 2nd half of this season. I think it shows a lot of maturity.

EAZYE

Ho Hum another game over in the first half ;D  Now it's a week off then we get to try and ruin the Red Raiders shot at a national title.  Little worried though as our pass defense and special teams have been suspect all year long.  This game could easily be 35-35 at the half ;)
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away

Angry Ewok

There comes a moment during the burning of a college football coach in effigy when even some intoxicated fans realize they've gone too far. It wasn't during the "Burn, Saban, Burn" chants Friday night. Or when the Mike the Tiger mascot paraded around the bonfire and lit the Saban scarecrow on fire. Or even when the flames got so hot they melted alway the police tape within seconds and forced the crowd to retreat a little.

No, the tipping point came when the Saban scarecrow vanished in flames within two minutes, leaving a couple hundred people cheering for a burning cross.

It was at that moment that a few of the couple hundred LSU fans acknowledged how disturbing their ritual had become.

"This isn't my scene," one LSU fan said. "I'm outta here."

The remainder of the article is here,
http://blog.al.com/solomon/2008/11/the_burning_of_nick_saban.html

ycartrob

There comes a moment during the burning of a college football coach in effigy when even some intoxicated fans realize they've gone too far. It wasn't during the "Burn, Saban, Burn" chants Friday night. Or when the Mike the Tiger mascot paraded around the bonfire and lit the Saban scarecrow on fire. Or even when the flames got so hot they melted alway the police tape within seconds and forced the crowd to retreat a little.

No, the tipping point came when the Saban scarecrow vanished in flames within two minutes, leaving a couple hundred people cheering for a burning cross.

It was at that moment that a few of the couple hundred LSU fans acknowledged how disturbing their ritual had become.

"This isn't my scene," one LSU fan said. "I'm outta here."

The remainder of the article is here,
http://blog.al.com/solomon/2008/11/t...ick_saban.html

this coming from a guy who evoked Barak Obama's middle name to spread fear and hatred.

Great, LSU fans are crazy; you really blew the lid of the obvious.
Give me a break. Pooor Nick Saban   :'(

Angry Ewok

Quotethis coming from a guy who evoked Barak Obama's middle name to spread fear and hatred.

So now you're accusing Jon Solomon of being a racist, too?

ycartrob

it's hard to believe how bad Alabama's strength of schedule is

BCS Rank         SOS
1. Alabama       84th
2. Texas Tech   20th
3. Texas           5th
4. Florida          23rd
5. Oklahoma     29th
6. USC             53rd
7. Utah             55th
8. Penn State    70th
9. Boise State    61st
10. Georgia       2nd
11. Ohio State   6th
12. Missouri      21st

corey

That's pretty fucked up. What is that based on?
At the first of the season, Clemson, Georgia, and LSU all should have been tough games. Now they have extra losses because of us. Does that count against us somehow?

ycartrob

QuoteThat's pretty fucked up. What is that based on?
At the first of the season, Clemson, Georgia, and LSU all should have been tough games. Now they have extra losses because of us. Does that count against us somehow?

this is the CBS poll which is a little different than the BCS

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/polls/119

I would guess it's based on today's records b/c Clemson, Tennessee and LSU have been such busts. I mean, could one of Bama's most impressive wins been against Ole Miss? I see 4 teams Bama has beaten who have winning records: Ole Miss, UGA, LSU and Kentucky.

And SOS does not effect overall ranking.

capt. scotty

I understand Ohio St played USC and PSU didnt, but that 1 game putting them ahead of 64 more teams (70th vs 6th) is ludicrous.

And Boise St's SOS is stronger than PSU? and Bama?
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ycartrob

QuoteI understand Ohio St played USC and PSU didnt, but that 1 game putting them ahead of 64 more teams (70th vs 6th) is ludicrous.

And Boise St's SOS is stronger than PSU? and Bama?

The CBS link I posted seems more accurate; it has Boise St at 70th, Bama 67th and PSU 55th SOS

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/polls/119

Angry Ewok

The SOS is a funny stat... Thankfully it doesn't count for anything.

Alabama's Schedule

@ #9 Clemson
Tulane
Western Kentucky
@ Arkansas
@ #3 Georgia
Kentucky
Mississippi
@ Tennessee
Arkansas State
@ #16 LSU
Mississippi State
Auburn
@ #3 Florida

Boise State's Schedule

Idaho State
Bowling Green
@ #17 Oregon
Louisiana Tech
@ Southern Miss
Hawaii
@ San Jose State
@ New Mexico State
Utah State
@ Idaho
@ Nevada
Fresno State

Tell me there isn't a 1-3 loss team in this country that would have much rather been on Boise State's schedule.