What's the Current Temperature?

Started by mother_earth, Dec 06, 2007, 11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

QuoteYou've got to be f*cking kidding, K!  That's pure mental.
Haha!  It actually wasn't a bad day out at all (when sheltered from the wind), I'll be sure to post when we have the -30/-35 days (without wind chill).   ;D

red

-37C with the wind chill.  Earlier today it was just about to -45C, ridiculous.  

BH

Quote-37C with the wind chill.  Earlier today it was just about to -45C, ridiculous.  

Holy crap!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

.Walt

see, it's people like k who piss me off! i'm sitting here in minnesota, freezing my ass off and feeling sorry for myself. then he posts how cold it is there, and it makes me feel better.

right now its -8F, with wind chill its -28F.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

thatswhatshesaid

asheville, nc : 32 F

almost cold enough to sleep in.

Jaimoe

Just out of interest, how many of you Americans know how Celsius works as a temperature measuring gauge? I'm from the generation of Canadians that had to switch to using Celsius and the Metric System in school back in the mid 70's and as a result, I no longer understand properly cold weather measurements using Fahrenheit - we are in the middle. For example, I don't know how many kg's I weigh or how tall I am in metres.  I do know hot weather Fahrenheit (although some younger Canadians don't know what 75 means), but -8 means little to to me other than it's cold in Minnesota.  

Oh yeah, as an Ontario (Toronto) resident, I'm shocked at how cold it is where K lives (in Saskatchewan); I've never been exposed to that kind of cold - not even close. Right now its -4 in Toronto Celsius and it will drop to -12 tonight, which is around 10 Farenheit. Tonight will be the coldest its been all winter, so far.

.Walt

ha jaimoe i don't know celsius at all. most banks that show the time and temperate here, also show it in celsius. thats as much as i know about that. when K put his temp. i had to use this website.

it did get down to -11F last night

http://www.wbuf.noaa.gov/tempfc.htm

.Walt

my roommate was watching something about a basketball team in northern Canada. i guess it gets so cold that they get bloody noses frequently. also something about their car tires get square or something when left in the cold? does it get that cold K?

Jaimoe

Quotemy roommate was watching something about a basketball team in northern Canada. i guess it gets so cold that they get bloody noses frequently. does it get that cold K?

Don't forget "northern" Canada means nothing to Canadians since it's such a vast country. The North Pole is in Canada. However, K lives in the mid to northern part of the Prairie Provinces (Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta) and it gets fucking cold there - with the wind whipping across the flat landscape doesn't help, but at least it's a dry cold  ;) It would take me three to four days to drive to where K lives (from Toronto driving north for a day or two and then crossing into Manitoba and then driving through that province to Saskatchewan).

BTW, Celcius is really easy. 0 Celcius (32F) is freezing, anything below is below freezing (obviously). You can almost double all temps and add 30 to get a rough C to F conversion... at least that's what Bob and Doug MacKenzie said on SCTV.

Here's a conversion monitor. It helps a lot: http://www.stabb.com/tools/convert.html

TEO

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

thatswhatshesaid

ycartrob

QuoteJust out of interest, how many of you Americans know how Celsius works as a temperature measuring gauge? I'm from the generation of Canadians that had to switch to using Celsius and the Metric System in school back in the mid 70's and as a result, I no longer understand properly cold weather measurements using Fahrenheit - we are in the middle. For example, I don't know how many kg's I weigh or how tall I am in metres.  I do know hot weather Fahrenheit (although some younger Canadians don't know what 75 means), but -8 means little to to me other than it's cold in Minnesota.  

America was supposed to switch over in the 70's too, but it never happened. I think it's b/c all the sports analogies would be irrelevant (ie, 4th and millimeters just ain't the same as 4th and inches).

I remember Metric Man coming and talking to us. He scared the hell out of me.

Jaimoe

QuoteJust out of interest, how many of you Americans know how Celsius works as a temperature measuring gauge? I'm from the generation of Canadians that had to switch to using Celsius and the Metric System in school back in the mid 70's and as a result, I no longer understand properly cold weather measurements using Fahrenheit - we are in the middle. For example, I don't know how many kg's I weigh or how tall I am in metres.  I do know hot weather Fahrenheit (although some younger Canadians don't know what 75 means), but -8 means little to to me other than it's cold in Minnesota.  

America was supposed to switch over in the 70's too, but it never happened. I think it's b/c all the sports analogies would be irrelevant (ie, 4th and millimeters just ain't the same as 4th and inches).

I remember Metric Man coming and talking to us. He scared the hell out of me.

Metric Man wasn't so scary; he was just more accurate. Anyway, pro sports will never make the switch to metric. I should know being a BIG sports fan living in the metric north. The Canadian Football League's field is in yards (although it's a wider and longer field) and everything is measured in inches and feet. The Toronto Blue Jays measure everything in feet and inches. Hockey is measured in feet and inches too and ALL the broadcasters north of our border don't use metric when describing games, including height and weight. Now, Canadians don't use miles or gallons as measurement anymore, and that's a good thing.

bowl of soup

Here he is (only picture I could find - not sure what the military has to do with any of this).  We upper mexicans use the metric system for one thing and one thing only - the sale of cocaine.  The Canadian hybrid system is even worse.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

Jaimoe

Officially, the US, Liberia (in western Africa) and Burma (also known as Myanmar, in Southeast Asia) are the only three countries that haven't made the switch to metric. Nice grouping.

rugbird

West side Chicago : 8 farenheit, -6 windchill.

I think celsius is farenhiet x 3/5 + 32 or something.

Taterbug

Chicago western Burbs   - 15c   8-)
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

Jaimoe

Currently it's -8C in downtown Toronto. Overnight it will drop to -11, but there's virtually no wind-chill tonight. Today was actually a really pleasant winter day with brilliant sunlight.

thatswhatshesaid

10F dayton ohio. i guess that would feel warm in toronto right now.

Jaimoe

Quote10F dayton ohio. i guess that would feel warm in toronto right now.

Nope. It's colder in Dayton than it is in Toronto right now. 10F is -12C. Current temp in downtown Toronto is -8C, which is around 12F.