The Official March Madness Thread

Started by primushead, Mar 11, 2009, 02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

QuoteNice win for Louisville, though it looked like the Orange hit a wall in the 2nd half.

I thought the game would depend on what Terrence Williams did, and once again he had a great game and was probably the difference, especially considering his record setting 7 steals.

Im trying to think of a current or recent NBA player who has a similar game to him, but I cant. After looking at a couple recent drafts, Corey Brewer was the only guy I thought was somewhat similar. Anyone think of anybody?

I think TWill's games resembles Dwayne Wade.  Neither have a great jumpshot but can make things happen all over the court including hitting some big threes and making spectacular steals when your team needs it.  

Yeah, I guess his all-around game and ability does have similarities with Wade. I didnt really think about him though because Williams has nowhere near Wade's offensive versatility, ability to takeover games with his nose for the nylon, or his scorer's mentality.

Williams is easily better defensively though
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Oh, I really hope USC, Mississippi State, and Cleveland State all get embarrassed since them pulling upset conference tourney championship wins are the reason Penn State isnt going dancing  >:(
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

ycartrob

QuoteOh, I really hope USC, Mississippi State, and Cleveland State all get embarrassed since them pulling upset conference tourney championship wins are the reason Penn State isnt going dancing  >:(

Win more games and you're in; or win your tournament; or schedule ANYONE out of conference; or don't lose to Rhode Island; or don't lose to freaking 15-17 Iowa the last game of the season! Don't blame other teams for stepping up. It's that simple.

capt. scotty

QuoteOh, I really hope USC, Mississippi State, and Cleveland State all get embarrassed since them pulling upset conference tourney championship wins are the reason Penn State isnt going dancing  >:(

Win more games and you're in; or win your tournament; or schedule ANYONE out of conference; or don't lose to Rhode Island; or don't lose to freaking 15-17 Iowa the last game of the season! Don't blame other teams for stepping up. It's that simple.

Oh, I know thats why they didnt make the cut. Its their own fault and hopefully they rectify it for next year.

But even with their shitty OOC schedule, if even 1 of those teams didnt win their conference, theres a good chance Penn State wouldve made it. If 2 of them didnt, I think we definitely would have.

Im guessing Michigan made it because of wins over UCLA and Duke - which were OOC. But we basically did the equivalent by beating a 2 seed on the road (Mich St) and another 6 seed or better on the road (Illinois). Im almost positive Michigan didnt beat either of them, so its almost one in the same. Also, we did lose in the conference tourney to the team that won it, Purdue, and who right now is a bracket favorite to make it to the Sweet 16 according to peoples picks so far on ESPN.

Oh well

primushead

I've got mine in.  Here's my Final Four:

UConn
UNC
Villanova (My Sleeper to upset Pitt)
Michigan State

And 'youknowwho' to win it all.  That's all I'm gonna say about it for the rest of the Tournament.  I will not say UNC's name, I will not comment on any of their games.  I will only say something about it again when AND IF they win the Championship.

Good night, and good luck.

capt. scotty

QuoteI've got mine in.  Here's my Final Four:

UConn
UNC
Michigan State

Wouldnt it suit you best to keep these top secret until thursday?

Nova can definitely beat Pitt if Blair gets in foul trouble. I actually liked what highlighter man kept saying about them playing zone to protect him, but not sure how much weaker that would make their overall defense.

Judging by how many people have jumped on the Lousiville bandwagon, Id call Michigan State a sleeper pick too. Whats your reasoning?

ycartrob

QuoteOh, I really hope USC, Mississippi State, and Cleveland State all get embarrassed [size=24]since them pulling upset conference tourney championship wins are the reason Penn State isnt going dancing [/size]>:(

Oh, I know thats why they didnt make the cut. [size=24]Its their own fault and hopefully they rectify it for next year.[/size]

Do you ever say what you mean? Seriously. I can't count how many times I have commented on one of your posts only to have you come back and just throw some other shit out there that fits my response and not your original thought. I've asked you a couple of times to step your game up, but I think this is all you got.

You're going to have to do better. It's just that simple. (or maybe post less). You're dragging us all down with these sub standard posts.

capt. scotty

QuoteOh, I really hope USC, Mississippi State, and Cleveland State all get embarrassed [size=24]since them pulling upset conference tourney championship wins are the reason Penn State isnt going dancing [/size]>:(

Oh, I know thats why they didnt make the cut. [size=24]Its their own fault and hopefully they rectify it for next year.[/size]

Do you ever say what you mean? Seriously. I can't count how many times I have commented on one of your posts only to have you come back and just throw some other shit out there that fits my response and not your original thought. I've asked you a couple of times to step your game up, but I think this is all you got.

You're going to have to do better. It's just that simple. (or maybe post less). You're dragging us all down with these sub standard posts.

My original thought was my wishes that the teams that kept PSU out lose badly in the first round. Had they not pulled upsets, PSU wouldnt be in this situation.

I agree with your assessment of the weak OOC as to why they didnt make it - as the secondary reason that couldve kept them in even with said upsets.

My reply to your post did nothing to negate the fact that I still want all those teams that kept PSU out to lose.

tic-tac-toe.

ycartrob

My original thought was my wishes that the teams that kept PSU out lose badly in the first round. Had they not pulled upsets, PSU wouldnt be in this situation.

I agree with your assessment of the weak OOC as to why they didnt make it - as the secondary reason that couldve kept them in even with said upsets.

My reply to your post did nothing to negate the fact that I still want all those teams that kept PSU out to lose.

tic-tac-toe.

weak

just weak

capt. scotty

I apologize if every one of my posts doesnt have a hypothesis, 3 or more supporting points, and a conclusion to satisfy every thought I have on a given situation or responds to every statement in a reply (say yours and your 5 reasons).

I now realize that Tracy is not a mind reader though as he cant ascertain every thought in my head, but only the limited stuff I type instead of me writing a book of analysis for every response. Holy shit  :D

ycartrob

I hope all the teams that made the tourney get their asses kicked because if they had not won so many games, then Ole Miss would have made the tournament. They are why we are not in.

ycartrob

QuoteI apologize if every one of my posts doesnt have a hypothesis, 3 or more supporting points, and a conclusion to satisfy every thought I have on a given situation or responds to every statement in a reply (say yours and your 5 reasons).

I now realize that Tracy is not a mind reader though as he cant [size=24]ascertain [/size]every thought in my head, but only the limited stuff I type instead of me writing a book of analysis for every response. Holy shit  :D

wow, OK. I apologize. I now know what you're dealing with. Sorry  :-/

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr_3S4GcZNo[/media]

primushead

UConn
UNC
Michigan State

Nova can definitely beat Pitt if Blair gets in foul trouble. I actually liked what highlighter man kept saying about them playing zone to protect him, but not sure how much weaker that would make their overall defense.

Judging by how many people have jumped on the Lousiville bandwagon, Id call Michigan State a sleeper pick too. Whats your reasoning?

I'd keep it secret if we were playing for cash, but since it's just for fun, I don't really care.

As far as my reasoning for MSU to be a sleeper, I just think back to Louisville at the beginning of the year.  They lost a few games they should've won (UNLV, Minnesota), got hot through their conference/conference tournament, and are a very good team.

HOWEVER, they only played Pitt and UConn once during conference play...both at home.  They aren't that reliable on the road, and thus, I don't think they'll have the fortitude to make the Final Four.  

Michigan State has been remarkable since UNC stomped them.  They have great outside play and are poised to make the elite eight upset of Louisville.

That's my vague reason for picking them.

capt. scotty

QuoteI hope all the teams that made the tourney get their asses kicked because if they had not won so many games, then Ole Miss would have made the tournament. They are why we are not in.

Because thats just like what I said  ::)

I must say I appreciate how you can keep me entertained and argumentative, its 1 of your best characteristics.

For every debate I may or may not win with you, I can always lean back in my lounger and pop in the Superbowl XLIII DVD and watch my QB who isnt as good as Eli win his 2nd Superbowl  8-)

capt. scotty

UConn
UNC
Michigan State

I'd keep it secret if we were playing for cash, but since it's just for fun, I don't really care.

As far as my reasoning for MSU to be a sleeper, I just think back to Louisville at the beginning of the year.  They lost a few games they should've won (UNLV, Minnesota), got hot through their conference/conference tournament, and are a very good team.

HOWEVER, they only played Pitt and UConn once during conference play...both at home.  They aren't that reliable on the road, and thus, I don't think they'll have the fortitude to make the Final Four.  

Michigan State has been remarkable since UNC stomped them.  They have great outside play and are poised to make the elite eight upset of Louisville.

That's my vague reason for picking them.

Right now I have UConn over Louisville partially because of some of the stuff you said, but I best not elaborate since 1 poopshoot is all I require and getting a new 1 ripped for me over my substandard or conflicted reasoning as to why I like UConn here doesnt seem worth it

primushead

I've ascertained all I need to.  No need to elaborate. ;)

ycartrob

QuoteI hope all the teams that made the tourney get their asses kicked because if they had not won so many games, then Ole Miss would have made the tournament. They are why we are not in.

Because thats exactly what I said  ::)

I must say I appreciate how you can keep me entertained and argumentative, its 1 of your best characteristics.

For every debate I may or may not win with you, I can always lean back in my lounger and pop in the Superbowl XLIII DVD and watch my QB who isnt as good as Eli win his 2nd Superbowl  8-)

That's sort of lame (and sad).

capt. scotty

QuoteI've ascertained all I need to.  No need to elaborate. ;)

As for MSU, theyre one of the few higher ranked teams I havent really seen play, so I have a hard time judging what to do with them.

Izzo, like a few other coaches, always seems to get the most out of his teams, but I really have no clue about this team and how far theyll go. Seems to me its almost as likely theyll lose in the 2nd round to BC/USC as it is theyll go to the Elite 8, although based on his tourney history its probably closer to the latter, even if he doesnt still have this guy:

^^^
    Alec Baldwin had good seats

MickeyReds

As long as you keep a straight face...

EAZYE

I would think that everyone might have my sooners bowing out early.  No problem with that, they haven't convinced me they are going anywhere as of late.  However I would like to see them against Greggg's UNC boys.  Also don't like that we would have to beat Syracuse as well.  Should be an interesting tourney.   My sleeper will come from the Big 12 obviously, watch out for BH's Tigers ;)
I painted my name on the back of a leaf
and I watched it float away