Who the hell are ya?!

Started by eiseyrokker, Jun 25, 2008, 03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet

My name is Janet, I am 42 years old and live in northern California.  I have three passions - my family, music and cooking.

I am married and have three dogs.  My husband and kids, I mean dogs, are the light of my life.  I truly wish everyone the happiness that I enjoy.  

I have always loved music.  Always.  I still remember being six and asking my mom to take me to the store to buy the 45 of Jim Croce's "Time in a Bottle" with the money I had saved...and beggingbeggingbegging her to let me go to my first concert at 15 (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers).  

Then, as now, all of my discretionary funds go towards music. I really wish I had kept track of all of the concerts I've seen....

My love (obsession?) with music really kicked into high gear the first time I heard Pearl Jam.  I still don't know why - the music just did (and still does) "speak" to me.  The first time I saw them live was in 1991 - and I actually had a physical reaction.  It was a sort of butterflies in the stomach type of nervous energy that I had never experienced.  And that feeling, on the day of a PJ show, continues.   :)

As I'm sure I've posted previously, I came across MMJ because of PJ.   I picked up Z when I found out MMJ was opening for  PJ.  I'm not sure why that I did because normally PJ's opening bands don't do it for me ('cept for KOL! -but I found them when they opened for Bob Dylan) .  After hearing Z, I was hooked.  I was grateful when PJ's album finally came out as I was beginning to think the amount of times I listened to Z was becoming unhealthy,  They just had (have) a sound that I had not heard before...

I've been a full on MMJ obsessive ever since - although it has definitely gotten worse in the last 2 years.  In 2008 I actually did not see any PJ shows (but did catch the EV show in Santa Cruz) as all of my concert dollars went to MMJ.  I don't regret a thing.

As for cooking, I love it.  I'd do it professionally if I could.

Thanks for reading my story.

Penny Lane

Nova that's a great post! D1--wow! i played D3 basketball and loved it :-) I think i remember that st bonnies thing! What a story, too! I'll forgive the steelers thing (i'm a browns fan).

Sweet...another bball player in da house!  Where'd you play?  And, thanks for the Steelers forgiveness.   :-[  :)  

i played at Baldwin Wallace College (LOL) small private school in Cleveland, Ohio; the only time you hear of it is when they mention that Jim Tressel (OSU coach) went there and his father (Lee Tressel) coached there for years. Also, the town used to be where the Browns were stationed. I did bball, softball and cross country. and yes, Point Guard. Pistol Pete and Larry Bird are my heroes LOL...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

QuoteMy name is Janet, I am 42 years old and live in northern California.  I have three passions - my family, music and cooking.

I am married and have three dogs.  My husband and kids, I mean dogs, are the light of my life.  I truly wish everyone the happiness that I enjoy.  

I have always loved music.  Always.  I still remember being six and asking my mom to take me to the store to buy the 45 of Jim Croce's "Time in a Bottle" with the money I had saved...and beggingbeggingbegging her to let me go to my first concert at 15 (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers).  

Then, as now, all of my discretionary funds go towards music. I really wish I had kept track of all of the concerts I've seen....

My love (obsession?) with music really kicked into high gear the first time I heard Pearl Jam.  I still don't know why - the music just did (and still does) "speak" to me.  The first time I saw them live was in 1991 - and I actually had a physical reaction.  It was a sort of butterflies in the stomach type of nervous energy that I had never experienced.  And that feeling, on the day of a PJ show, continues.   :)

As I'm sure I've posted previously, I came across MMJ because of PJ.   I picked up Z when I found out MMJ was opening for  PJ.  I'm not sure why that I did because normally PJ's opening bands don't do it for me ('cept for KOL! -but I found them when they opened for Bob Dylan) .  After hearing Z, I was hooked.  I was grateful when PJ's album finally came out as I was beginning to think the amount of times I listened to Z was becoming unhealthy,  They just had (have) a sound that I had not heard before...

I've been a full on MMJ obsessive ever since - although it has definitely gotten worse in the last 2 years.  In 2008 I actually did not see any PJ shows (but did catch the EV show in Santa Cruz) as all of my concert dollars went to MMJ.  I don't regret a thing.

Great post! welcome! i have no culinary skills so i envy you.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

red

Alright, it's time I do this...

My name's Kaley.  I'm 22 years young.  And yes, I'm a guy.  Didn't really have a choice in my name, but I'm actually quite fond of it now.  I'm an only child, raised by a single parent.  Always lived in Western Canada -- Saskatoon now, spent most of my life in small town Saskatchewan, aside from a few years in Manitoba.  I work at an independent coffee shop and am just starting work on an English degree.  In the past few years I've been bitten by the travel bug.    

Let's see...My favourite musician (and person) is Tom Waits.  Last year I saved up and went to six shows on his 'Glitter and Doom' tour.  It was the greatest two weeks of my life.  Met some incredible people (two of whom who are on this board) and discovered New Orleans (I've made a promise to myself to live there some day).  My musical loves are, among many others: MMJ, Big Star, Bob Dylan, Pavement, Neil Young, The Smiths, Leonard Cohen, The Hold Steady, Joni Mitchell, Constantines, Elvis Costello, Elliott Smith, The Beatles, and Gram Parsons.  Annie Hall is my favourite film.  Followed closely by Before Sunrise/Sunset, This Is Spinal Tap, The Last Waltz, Bottle Rocket and The Big Lebowski.  Arrested Development, The Office (BBC), and The Wire are my favourite television shows.  My favourite novels are This Side of Paradise, Franny and Zooey, and probably Jitterbug Perfume.

I normally have a shitty haircut, and am currently cultivating an even shittier mustache/goatee combination (all of which I'm strangely proud of).  I miss my Grandfather and my cat Robo.  There's only a few people I'd consider my best friends, and we're scattered throughout this world.  Sometimes I think the distance keeps us closer.  I also think I let the 'right one' get away, but I've resigned myself to accepting that, for now.  I haven't eaten red meat in quite some time, and have been a full-fledged vegetarian for nearly two years.  Been working on cutting out all animal products from my diet as of late.  I love many different beers and basically any red wine.  I can also handle tequila shots like nobody's business.  Vodka, however, is the chink in my armour.

Lately I've been working on making my world a smaller place.  Figuratively, of course.  I've abandoned my car, discontinued my cell phone, and have embraced the telephone call and handwritten letter.  I guess I just like to keep myself distanced from things.  I've also concluded that this place is the best corner of the internet.  I have no idea what I'm going to do come fall, but I'd like to learn French and/or Spanish before then.  

I'm shy and polite, and like private messages and toasted peanut butter and banana sandwiches.  

These are the two favourite pictures of myself:

:)

st. john

:) and an A grade. impressed.

dragonboy

Yeah that was a great read K!

I still remember back in the day when you were Red, talking about Willie Nelson. I'm real pleased to have met you here & hope to have the pleasure of meeting you in person one day  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Taxman

Ok.
25 years old, entering my 7th year at university in Leiden, but I live in Rotterdam in the Netherlands. I'm studying history and I've got a part time job in a recordstore, which is pretty cool. I've got no idea of what I want to become when I've finished my studies. I definately do not want to teach, that's the only thing I do know...
At this moment most of my activities are as follows:
Reading
Working
Listening to music
Writing papers
Drinking beer (though never when I'm alone)
Sports

And my birthday is on the 31st of december.
Shoesize about 46/47 European, which I guess is something like 13 in the US. So there.
I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain.
-Macgyver

red

QuoteYeah that was a great read K!

I still remember back in the day when you were Red, talking about Willie Nelson. I'm real pleased to have met you here & hope to have the pleasure of meeting you in person one day  :)
I stumbled into this bar a few years ago am an now standing by the jukebox requesting "Stay A Little Longer" far too often.  

8-)

Taxman

Oh shit; forgot my name: Onno.
It's kind of Dutch/Friesian folklore and means something like 'the protector'.  :o
I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain.
-Macgyver

dragonboy

QuoteShoesize about 46/47 European, which I guess is something like 13 in the US. So there.
So is it true what they say?  ;)

Only kidding! Nice to meet you Onno The Protector...coolest name ever? I think so!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

Taxman

QuoteShoesize about 46/47 European, which I guess is something like 13 in the US. So there.
So is it true what they say?  ;)

Yes; I need bigger socks too. Or is that not what you meant  :D ;)

-Macgyver

Taxman

-Macgyver

dragonboy

QuoteOn my feet...

That is The Beatles in the pic, right? I know you're a fan  ;)

CC

QuoteOk.
25 years old, entering my 7th year at university in Leiden, but I live in Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

hang at rotown much? love that place.

Taxman

QuoteOk.
25 years old, entering my 7th year at university in Leiden, but I live in Rotterdam in the Netherlands.

hang at rotown much? love that place.

Maybe twice a month. It's got a nice vibe and a lot of cool 'small' bands perform there.
-Macgyver

meggha

my turn.
I'm Meg, that's my whole [first] name, no more no less. I'm 22, and live in Las Cruces, NM, where I've been my whole life. I was born in my parent's house, in the bedroom I grew up in. Their house is where i wans to live for the rest of my life. unfortunately i don't live with them now because i wanted to have my own cat, and if he got around their two female cats, i'm sure they would all kill each other because they're all really messed up in the head, like their owners.
Las Cruces is gorgeous, the people are great, I love it here, but I have to move on soon. I will be graduating with my BFA in painting in May, and then I will start looking around for jobs/schools in other places. I am not limited to staying in the states.... i have ideas of looking into europe (mainly france, italy, germany, spain, or england), south america (mainly brazil, colombia or costa rica)  and canada. but i try not to limit myself. if anyone knows of some cool places to go, please let me know, i would greatly appreciate it.
when not painting (oil is my fave, but i also experiment with watercolor and acrylic) or working at an Italian restaurant, i also work on sculptures, writing, reading, playing drums and piano, singing (I sing more than any other musical thing i do) and whistling, hiking, being quiet, watching the weather (not the TV kind), meditation, and trying to be a hermit in a town where most people know my name/face.
"Yeah, it's chaos, it's clocks, it's watermelons, it's everything."

AlwxanderD10

QuoteSteve's my name. I live in Charleston, SC, and am 16 years old. I may or may not be the youngest member of this forum, no one has come forward to call themselves younger. I was born in Chicago, and raised on Chicago sports. I still root for the Cubs and Bulls at every chance. I used to be shy and a bit picky, but I've changed so much over the past 3 or 4 years so that those who knew me in middle school would be baffled by me now. The only person who thinks they've figured me out is my (slightly) younger sister, and I surprise her every day. I currently work at Yo Burrito, and have loads of fun with the coworkers there.

In recent years, music has become a huge part of my life. I took up the guitar a few years ago, and have had loads of fun with it ever since. There's just so much you can do with it. Favorite "other" bands are Radiohead, Led Zeppelin, Wilco, Allman Brothers, Yes, Band of Horses, Beck, The Who, Dead Confederate, Bruce Springsteen, Comets on Fire, Funkadelic (thanks Jim), Bob Dylan, Grateful Dead, Kings of Leon, Dr. Dog, R.E.M., Pink Floyd, The National, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Sonic Youth, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and so many more. I love going to watch absolutely awful movies with friends and do so on a regular basis, so my taste in movies is extremely flawed  ;D. Kurt Vonnegut is my favorite author. I haven't had a girlfriend in a long time, but I'm on the hunt.

Here's a pic of me from last year:

no you're not the youngest I'm 14 although I'm kinda new to the forum I've been a jacket follower since as long as i can remember!!

ManNamedTruth

Quotemy turn.
I'm Meg, that's my whole [first] name, no more no less. I'm 22, and live in Las Cruces, NM, where I've been my whole life. I was born in my parent's house, in the bedroom I grew up in. Their house is where i wans to live for the rest of my life. unfortunately i don't live with them now because i wanted to have my own cat, and if he got around their two female cats, i'm sure they would all kill each other because they're all really messed up in the head, like their owners.
Las Cruces is gorgeous, the people are great, I love it here, but I have to move on soon. I will be graduating with my BFA in painting in May, and then I will start looking around for jobs/schools in other places. I am not limited to staying in the states.... i have ideas of looking into europe (mainly france, italy, germany, spain, or england), south america (mainly brazil, colombia or costa rica)  and canada. but i try not to limit myself. if anyone knows of some cool places to go, please let me know, i would greatly appreciate it.
when not painting (oil is my fave, but i also experiment with watercolor and acrylic) or working at an Italian restaurant, i also work on sculptures, writing, reading, playing drums and piano, singing (I sing more than any other musical thing i do) and whistling, hiking, being quiet, watching the weather (not the TV kind), meditation, and trying to be a hermit in a town where most people know my name/face.

You might want to check out this thread, lots of creative people here!
http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1159227958/240
Some of my stuff is scattered throughout that thread. I also like to work with oil. Maybe you can share some of your work with us? I'd like to see. My art is on my myspace: //myspace.com/justin_true
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ycartrob

Quotemy turn.

You might want to check out this thread, lots of creative people here!
http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1159227958/240
Some of my stuff is scattered throughout that thread. I also like to work with oil. Maybe you can share some of your work with us? I'd like to see. My art is on my myspace: //myspace.com/justin_true

actually, there's a better art thread here:

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1177628457/0

pawpaw

QuoteMy name is Janet, I am 42 years old and live in northern California.  I have three passions - my family, music and cooking.

Hey Janet, where in Northern California do you live? I live in Sacramento!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."