Evil Urges = Smart Rock

Started by kydiddle, Dec 03, 2008, 07:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kydiddle

NPR Music named Evil Urges in their Top 10 'Smart Rock' Albums:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=97706627

Genius or dreck? Here's the album that launched a million blog rants, mostly from fans of the old jammy version of this Kentucky-fried favorite. You could easily get hung up on the literal—from thick classic-rock riffage and Prince-style delirium to James Brown funk and Flaming Lips' electro-perversions—but then you'd be missing the point. Evil Urges is what happens when innovative musicians decide it's just not enough to be thought of as "innovative"; if you want to avoid self-parody, you've got to stick in the knife and twist it good and hard. This CD is more than merely hook-happy and devastatingly joyful: It's an object lesson in musical creativity (and the inherent risks thereof). Smart rock? Ha. It's solid-gold genius.
Cow temperature.

BH

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ruckus

I personally cannot stand this list and the absolute, limited term of "Smart Rock".   >:(  I'm not going to even attempt to be intelligent on this post.  I like dude rock (whatever that is).

This is everything that I despise of self important, over intellectualized NPRism.  Don't get me wrong.  I am a fervent public music radio listener but this kind of title does no one justice.  

MMJ is rock n roll as they prefer to be categorized and no further.     ::)  Still can't tell the difference between most Okkervil songs post BSB.

For an intelligent audience????  What????

I must admit though, that Fleet Foxes album was superior to EU for me

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

lasvegas

it's only rock and roll, but i like it...
Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

Grateful Chabo

WHAT THE FUCK IS DUDE ROCK???

"Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul."

lasvegas

QuoteWHAT THE FUCK IS DUDE ROCK???

this:

+

Is there a doctor in the house tonight?

kydiddle

Ohhhh, you just busted out the Hey Dude circa 1989-1991.

So start your horse and come along
Cause you can't get a ride if you can't hold on...
Cow temperature.

purvis9876

Yi-pe-ky-i-a.... Like the cowboys say
(get along little dogey)
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

kydiddle

QuoteYi-pe-ky-i-a.... Like the cowboys say
(get along little dogey)

They just don't make quality shows like that today.

:'(

But seriously. What is 'dude rock'?
Cow temperature.

Ruckus

I think it means you are not allowed to have any androgynous looking members in your band.  That is why Will Sheff heads the list of "Smart Rockers". ;) ;D

Ruckus

Aha!

The secret is to utilize the same resource that NPR used.  

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Dude%20Rock

One could argue that EU falls under the category of dude rock....

AND there is nothing wrong with a good high five

Penny Lane

a few good albums but on there but i don't get it, either...

NPR lists are about one notch down from pitchfork lists---
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Grateful Chabo

Good ole urban dictionary,  DUDE ROCK:
A genre of music that targets 13-21-year-old males who seek a Hard Rock sound, yet still seek such music through MTV-type outlets. Such music is given great care and concern when appealing to such an audience; thus it is often produced, analyzed, and marketed down to the finest deltail, giving it an air of high-production fakeness that one gets when watching a Hollywood Sitcom.

Tom thinks he's so cool with all those vintage clothes and that spiked hair; he's always claiming to be the king of underground music. But when we were in his car, he only played Dude Rock.

- that tom is a trickster... :D

Ruckus

Oh Tom Oh Tom...what to do with you? ;D ;D ;D

Jon T.

QuoteGood ole urban dictionary,  DUDE ROCK:
A genre of music that targets 13-21-year-old males who seek a Hard Rock sound, yet still seek such music through MTV-type outlets. Such music is given great care and concern when appealing to such an audience; thus it is often produced, analyzed, and marketed down to the finest deltail, giving it an air of high-production fakeness that one gets when watching a Hollywood Sitcom.

Tom thinks he's so cool with all those vintage clothes and that spiked hair; he's always claiming to be the king of underground music. But when we were in his car, he only played Dude Rock.

-see Nickelback

There hasn't been any good Chad bashing lately.

kydiddle

QuoteGood ole urban dictionary,  DUDE ROCK:

-see Nickelback

There hasn't been any good Chad bashing lately.

I loooooooathe Nickelback.

Cow temperature.

tomEisenbraun

Oh Tom Oh Tom...what to do with you? ;D ;D ;D

:-[

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7F3O6WYfHQ[/media]
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

bold99

I don't really like any album on this list beside MMJ so I guess I'm not really into Smart Rock.  Where is the Dumb Rock list?
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

tomEisenbraun

QuoteI don't really like any album on this list beside MMJ so I guess I'm not really into Smart Rock.  Where is the Dumb Rock list?

Right here:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9Qm-CK67Rk[/media]
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

Grateful Chabo

Do we have any Nickelback fans in Portugal?  Guess not

- i like portugal  ;D