Like or Dislike....

Started by mickeyreds, Jun 26, 2009, 03:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickeyReds

The Jim James to Yim Yames name change?
As long as you keep a straight face...

capt. scotty

It seems renegade, but Im still not sure. It could end up holding back the name and fame of Jim James.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Paulie_Walnuts

Dislike it intensely. Anyone know what the point of it is?

I realise that it's based on his real name, however I generally hate musicians that decide to give themselves stupid names. In particular:

Bono
The Edge
Sting
These guys are 50 years old for Christ's sake! It's sort of acceptable if you are 18 years old, but come on.

The only exception is Bonnie Prince Billy who at least has a valid reason for his.
Paulie W

searchinbig

QuoteThe Jim James to Yim Yames name change?

I don't understand the name change but this guy has more talent in one hair than I have combined so I won't question it.  :)
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

BH

jimjames.com was unavailable.

Also, there's this.....

http://www.myspace.com/thedamnshames

And then there is this......

http://www.amazon.com/The-Jim-James-Band/e/B000APO19G/ref=ntt_mus_gen_pel

Just be glad he didn't change it to Captain Goodies!  ;D

All I know is that if I ever hear about a new CD from somebody named Snowy Bramble I'm gonna be all over it!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

MickeyReds

I personally think it was a mistake. If you look at the way he writes it, it kinda looks like Jim James.

I think someone may have said"Does that say Yim Yames?"Just a theory.
As long as you keep a straight face...

Jon T.

My take is that it's his side project name.  He's yim yames when solo or  Monsters of Folk stuff.  Back to Jim when he's with the band.

Eweezy

It's like that scene in "Coming to America" with Eddie Murphy..."If his momma callls him Cassius Clay than I'm gonna call him Cassius Clay."
So no I'm not thrilled with it but who am I to judge such a creative talent.  As long as the music is great..it's just a name.
Yikes!

Coltrane

QuoteI personally think it was a mistake. If you look at the way he writes it, it kinda looks like Jim James.

i'm down with this explanation. combined with the unavailability of jimjames.com, etc......

really, though. who cares. it's jim james singing us george harrison songs.

i'm creaming my jeans just thinking about it!!!!!
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

joepj07

QuoteI personally think it was a mistake. If you look at the way he writes it, it kinda looks like Jim James.

i like that theory dude but gimme a sec to demonstrate what a nerd i am.

so heres my two cents.  first thing is that in several european languages like the dutch language "j" is pronounced "y".   so hence yim yames.  my guess is jim picked it up or overheard someone pronounce his name that way on tour in the netherlands or somewhere around there.  who the hell knows besides jim...

also i remember reading an interview were jim said he was considering using the name Sec Walkin as his alter ego for Monsters of Folk. But after getting my vinly copy of Celebracion de la Ciudad and seeing him as Yim Yames on the lineup and then seeing the George Harrison tribute i suppose hes changed his mind.

I dont think its going to hinder his fame or the name of Jim James.  I mean everyone knows who the artist formerly know as prince is. everyone knows Bono.  And really i think Jim has a more lighthearted take on the alter ego thing.    

I think its funny and dig it to be honest.  

wow talk about rambling...lol
whos to say that the world can do it better...whos the world can do at all...

Love Dogg

Jim James is make believe anyway.  And Jim James is a superhero.  Therefor it can be spelled any way he wants it to.

And in some Spanish speaking cultures, the Y makes a J sound.  So technically it is still Jim James...it just looks different.

"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

el_chode

O is the one that is real
I'm surrounded by assholes

AlwxanderD10

QuoteO is the one that is real
Oim Oames?