Get rid of a top 4 pro sport

Started by bear_sin_rug, Nov 02, 2009, 01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bear sin rug

A friend and I were talking about the World Series being in November and how it just doesn't do it for us. We both thought we'd never miss baseball if it went away.

Rank the top 4 professional sports in order (NFL,MLB,NHL,NBA) of which one you would miss the least if each were eliminated.

NHL
MLB
NBA
NFL
It's a bad idea

AMightyCaporal

I really only enjoy watching the NFL

I would get rid of the MLB
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

mjkoehler

NASCAR
NHL
NFL
NBA

I love MLB, except the damn Yankee's and the fact that the season is now into November. It doesn't need to be adjusted a bit. Thankfully the Rockies didn't make it in or else we would have had to switch to orange baseballs for the amount of snow they got.

brkndwnbus

MLB
NBA
NHL
NFL

I can't watch one pitch of baseball.

Jaimoe

I can't imagine watching sports without any of the N. American Top 4. I'm surprised Americans on this board don't immediately pick to dump hockey since it isn't really a real Top 4 sport when it comes to US TV ratings/revenue and American grassroots participation. However, the NHL is equal or often better gate-driven sport than the NBA.

One sport I would love to see dumped is F-1; it is the most boring shit I've ever seen (and I used to be a fan in the '70s and '80s).

ManNamedTruth

I only watch the NFL and NHL. Hockey is awesome, wish more people would watch. Hockey is big here right now with the success of the Pens.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jaimoe

I read a recent Toronto Star article that said that the NHL's ratings are up significantly in the US locally and on Versus, and the main reason given is HD. Fringe American-based fans are finding the game much easier to follow given how great it looks in HD.

.Walt

I would get rid NBA first, it doesn't matter until last 5 minutes. Although I could live without the NHL, but not hockey. I'm lucky enough to live in a town that has a D1 hockey school, and can watch all the best teams and players. Sometimes, the NHL team plays second fiddle to even a high school game. That's just how much we love hockey, not just the NHL.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

.Walt

QuoteI read a recent Toronto Star article that said that the NHL's ratings are up significantly in the US locally and on Versus, and the main reason given is HD. Fringe American-based fans are finding the game much easier to follow given how great it looks in HD.

Direct-Tv got rid of Versus. We were gonna get Center-Ice anyways. So we called up and said we were upset about losing Versus. Gave us $50 off what we were already gonna spend. Hockey does look sweet in HD, but what's up with the Canadian channels? Most don't have HD.  
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Jaimoe

QuoteI read a recent Toronto Star article that said that the NHL's ratings are up significantly in the US locally and on Versus, and the main reason given is HD. Fringe American-based fans are finding the game much easier to follow given how great it looks in HD.

Direct-Tv got rid of Versus. We were gonna get Center-Ice anyways. So we called up and said we were upset about losing Versus. Gave us $50 off what we were already gonna spend. Hockey does look sweet in HD, but what's up with the Canadian channels? Most don't have HD.  

Since when? What do you mean? All the major national and regional sports channels - TSN, TSN2, CBC, Sportsnet East/Ontario/West/Pacific, Leafs TV, The Score, RDS (French TSN) - show all hockey, football, basketball, baseball in HD, and have for many years.

Local TV channels in both Canada and the US aren't yet HD - actually, few are - so if a local happens to broadcast a game, if might not be in HD. Also, not all smaller US sports networks such as NESN show everything in HD.

capt. scotty

Id get rid of MLB first until they institute a salary cap.

Otherwise, Id get rid of the NBA.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

MarkW

I don't watch any of them here in the UK.  Top 3 team sports for me would be:

Football (Soccer if you insist!)
Cricket
Rugby Union

Also enjoy golf, particularly Ryder Cup when it comes around.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

The DARK

It's amazing how far hockey has fallen off our national radar in the last year. Sometimes the Stanley Cup championship headline gets shuffled to the middle of the paper. I'd say golf is a more accurate top 4 sport in America.

Not counting NHL (I'll admit, even given my love for smaller-scale sports, I could do without it), I'd have to go with MLB. It has a great fan atmosphere in major cities, but the money flow is flawed beyond belief, and the sport itself just isn't that exciting.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Ruckus

I can't get enough sport so this thread is rather difficult for me.  That said, when you incorporate corporate sponsorships and TV revenue, I believe the NHL finishes 6th.  NASCAR is much higher, just behind NFL and MLB and Golf is 5th.  

I would get rid of NASCAR but that's just me and I actually enjoy it!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

ManNamedTruth

QuoteI can't get enough sport so this thread is rather difficult for me.  That said, when you incorporate corporate sponsorships and TV revenue, I believe the NHL finishes 6th.  NASCAR is much higher, just behind NFL and MLB and Golf is 5th.  

I would get rid of NASCAR but that's just me and I actually enjoy it!

I hate Nascar, it's for rednecks. WATCH HOCKEY!
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Jaimoe

QuoteIt's amazing how far hockey has fallen off our national radar in the last year. Sometimes the Stanley Cup championship headline gets shuffled to the middle of the paper. I'd say golf is a more accurate top 4 sport in America.

Newspapers (and radio and TV) have been doing lots of cost-cutting and sports beat writers, especially the ones covering the NHL, are finding themselves out of work. It's sad, but daily newspapers are all threatened; many have already folded across the US and many more are to follow.

Jbones72

i guess the nba haven't, i watched a pro basketball game in years.