Fantasy Football '09

Started by true, Jul 22, 2009, 05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

HOnestly though, when to IDP's usually come off the board and what kind of value are  you looking for.  Also, how many bench defensive players you usually hold?

Im sure you could find mock drafts and ADP's somewhere, but anyone with IDP scoring anything like ours would be crazy to take an IDP before the 10th round or so, and those are the elite guys (who usually arent much better than the next couple tiers). Then again, I never draft Team D's in the 8th, 9th, 10th but some people do, so I guess it depends on your drafting style.

I forget our roster size, but I recommend no bench IDP players or 1 player tops. Considering we only have 1 player for each position, the free agent pool will have tons of options, unlike the offensive skill positions. When you only have the 10 best gone, youre starting them every week but their bye week.

Theyre basically like kickers considering there isnt much of a difference between the best and the worst - at least thats the case with our IDP starter requirements.

Right....until I watch you snag Patrick Willis or Jerrod Mayo in round 7 ;)
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

corey

QuoteI just posted this on the message board on yahoo, but you still need to change it from 4 to 6 teams in the playoffs, and the playoff weeks to week 14, 15, 16

Done.

Does anyone know of a good site that will have good reports on players that are current in terms of injuries, contract disputes, etc?
I've been trying to keep track of this stuff as best as I can, but it seems like there are a hell of a lot of injuries so far in pre-season and I don't want to fuck around and draft someone that's not gonna play for the first 4 weeks or something like that.

capt. scotty

HOnestly though, when to IDP's usually come off the board and what kind of value are  you looking for.  Also, how many bench defensive players you usually hold?

Im sure you could find mock drafts and ADP's somewhere, but anyone with IDP scoring anything like ours would be crazy to take an IDP before the 10th round or so, and those are the elite guys (who usually arent much better than the next couple tiers). Then again, I never draft Team D's in the 8th, 9th, 10th but some people do, so I guess it depends on your drafting style.

I forget our roster size, but I recommend no bench IDP players or 1 player tops. Considering we only have 1 player for each position, the free agent pool will have tons of options, unlike the offensive skill positions. When you only have the 10 best gone, youre starting them every week but their bye week.

Theyre basically like kickers considering there isnt much of a difference between the best and the worst - at least thats the case with our IDP starter requirements.

Willis is considered one of the best LB's, but pointwise he was still the 3rd best LB last yr in most systems. Not like he dominated or something and should be taken a couple rounds before all other IDP's

I havent crunched IDP stats really, but I dont think Mayo is top 10 LB. If he is, he barely is, and thats basically my point. The difference between most of the guys isnt that much when you only start 1 at each position. Them getting Adalius Thomas back wont benefit his numbers either.

Im not going to wipe your ass and give you some fresh Pampers on all things IDP's, but Im not going to lie to you either. If you take an IDP before youve filled your starting offensive lineup, and/or a really solid backup at RB and/or WR or even QB depending on your starter, youre hurting your team more than helping it by picking a top IDP.

Considering this is the first year half the league or so has done it, I wont be surprised if theres a run on them or something, but even then it doesnt make it the right move. Joining in on a run more often than not is the wrong move, but that depends on NEEDS  :D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

aMillionDreams

If they change Chad's status to a WR/K I might have to take him in the first round!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Ruckus

Willis is considered one of the best LB's, but pointwise he was still the 3rd best LB last yr in most systems. Not like he dominated or something and should be taken a couple rounds before all other IDP's

I havent crunched IDP stats really, but I dont think Mayo is top 10 LB. If he is, he barely is, and thats basically my point. The difference between most of the guys isnt that much when you only start 1 at each position. Them getting Adalius Thomas back wont benefit his numbers either.

Im not going to wipe your ass and give you some fresh Pampers on all things IDP's, but Im not going to lie to you either. If you take an IDP before youve filled your starting offensive lineup, and/or a really solid backup at RB and/or WR or even QB depending on your starter, youre hurting your team more than helping it by picking a top IDP.

Considering this is the first year half the league or so has done it, I wont be surprised if theres a run on them or something, but even then it doesnt make it the right move. Joining in on a run more often than not is the wrong move, but that depends on NEEDS  :D

Just kiddin' around.  Thanks for the input though.  Makes perfect sense to me.

.Walt

Does anyone know of a good site that will have good reports on players that are current in terms of injuries, contract disputes, etc?
I've been trying to keep track of this stuff as best as I can, but it seems like there are a hell of a lot of injuries so far in pre-season and I don't want to fuck around and draft someone that's not gonna play for the first 4 weeks or something like that.

I like this website... http://www.rotoworld.com/ It's really good, I think.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Taterbug

I like this website... http://www.rotoworld.com/ It's really good, I think.

I have been a member of http://thehuddle.com/ for a long time, it's a pay site but it gives you everything you need IMO.
"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle" Honest Abe

capt. scotty

QuoteIf they change Chad's status to a WR/K I might have to take him in the first round!

you'd still get the FG and XP points even if he was only WR eligible though, right??

I dont think being K eligible would help anyway since most K's outscored him last year  ;D

He's def been making Hard Knocks entertaining though
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

corey

Ruckus

Do we have bench spots?  Maybe I should double check because I check "MY TEAM" and it didn't seem to have bench players.

My bad if it was a mere cursory glance

corey

They should still be there from last year, but it wouldn't hurt to double check.

corey

I checked the Commish Tools>Roster Positions and we have 7 BN spots. Since we're using IDPs, should that be upped?

capt. scotty

QuoteDo we have bench spots?  Maybe I should double check because I check "MY TEAM" and it didn't seem to have bench players.

My bad if it was a mere cursory glance

we have 7 bench spots - look under scoring & settings. im always a proponent of big benches, but considering we have 2 flex spots, that seems adequate.

capt. scotty

double time!

since youre here corey, you know if there is anyway to set it up so the draft order is determined earlier than a half hour before the draft?

i hate barely having any time to gameplan my draft slot and figure out players to target each round.

EDIT: and since Ruckus just brought it up and I was looking at that page, a couple things I'd like to put out there:

1) I think we should have fractional points. It makes it as realistic as possible, and there are never ties.

2) I care about this less, but its 1pt/30pass yards. Ive always played 1pt/every 20 or 25yds. Id assume everyone else usually has that scoring as well. Not sure if no one cares, or if nobody noticed.

Ruckus

Quotedouble time!

since youre here corey, you know if there is anyway to set it up so the draft order is determined earlier than a half hour before the draft?

i hate barely having any time to gameplan my draft slot and figure out players to target each round.

EDIT: and since Ruckus just brought it up and I was looking at that page, a couple things I'd like to put out there:

1) I think we should have fractional points. It makes it as realistic as possible, and there are never ties.

2) I care about this less, but its 1pt/30pass yards. Ive always played 1pt/every 20 or 25yds. Id assume everyone else usually has that scoring as well. Not sure if no one cares, or if nobody noticed.

Thanks Guys.  I'm an idiot.

I'm cool with 30 passing yards.  I've never done that before but heck, every league I play, QBs get 6 points for passing TDS so....

The fun of a draft is the randomness of the order.  This isn't the real NFL.  In our live draft league we do here at a sports bar, I have everyone put their name in a hat then pick one by one so nobody knows where they are picking until their name is pulled and they are immediately put on the clock.  Makes it fun :D

corey

These are the draft options:

Random Order, Snaking (Standard)
Order will be automatically set 30 minutes prior to draft. Team with first pick of Round 1 will be last pick of Round 2.

Custom Order and Keeper League Players
Set the draft order, choose snaking or non-snaking, assign keeper player selections to any team in any round.

I like the idea of it being a surprise until the last minute as well. Keeps it exciting. I'll be nervous about it all day.  :)

Fractional points and passing have been changed. Seems like we had an issue last year where fractional points would have made a difference, so I went ahead and changed that just now. The passing is now set for 1 point for every 25 yards.

Ruckus

Hey Corey.  Just let Headdy commish the next league.  Save ya a lot of work ;) ;D

corey

aMillionDreams

I'm cool with fractional points, but I think we should keep a random draft order.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

.Walt

QuoteI'm cool with fractional points, but I think we should keep a random draft order.

With fractional points every yard counts. I'm for it.

In my money league I had the 9th pick. I'll never get the first pick...ever!
Much Greater Than Science Fiction