The NFL Thread 2009

Started by capt._headdy, Mar 20, 2009, 01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

Quote Clearly Bengals fans recognize this but I think the rest of the country is starting to realize that Marvin Lewis has finally put HIS stamp on this team that revolves around the D.  People here in B'more are not happy right now.

Im glad they didnt fire Lewis. He's alway seemed like a pretty good coach, but all the disciplinary stuff for a couple years and high draft picks not panning out due to injury or off the field issues (David Pollack, Odell Thurman, Kenny Irons, etc) were IMO the biggest reason they struggled.

Surprised to see them contain B-more like that after they looked just as dominating vs the Broncos last week....and we all know how good the Broncos are

Big game tonight...With a win, next weeks game vs the bungals looms even larger.

How big of you to give cincy some ups.  But it was Chicago they man-handled two weeks ago.  They SHOULD have beat Denver in week one.  Cincy and pitt have big weeks this week and next.  A win next week for cincy and we would have to royally crumble down the stretch in order to not make the playoffs.

What I was saying there was the Ravens owned the Broncos last week, so I was surprised how bad you owned the Ravens this week. Maybe Ravens lost a little urgency after winning so convincingly? Probably not, but who knows. Theyre better than a .500 team, but going to be tough sledding for them down the stretch. They need to win at least 1 of their games vs. the Steelers

And I dislike the Bungals because theyre the Bungals, just like you the Steelers, but when they actually can ball I respect them.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

QuoteOk, Capt. what can I say? A team got crushed tonight, but, sadly, it wasn't the Steelers.
The Denver offense looks absolutely inept right now. Ugly, ugly game from Orton. Terrible decision making all night, and some really badly thrown balls.
Looks like the Mile High Curse is with us once again (start out strong, then hit the skids around game 7)
Oh well. Now we get to see how these boys handle adversity.
At least I'm not a Giants fan.
Those guys really suck.  :P

Your passing O is pretty good, but to beat a D as good as the Steelers you cant just throw 8 yard passes all night. Even with great YAC WR's like Marshall and Royal.

And getting 27 yards rushing at 1.9 per attempt aint going to cut it either  8-)

Like Ive been saying for a month now, Broncos are good, probably a playoff team, but they arent/werent 6-0 good. Im glad we wont have to go through Mile High in all liklihood if we make a playoff run. That game was at Mile High last night, right? I saw an awful lot of Terrible Towels
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

QuoteFootball is amazing. For some reason, all the momentum swung to the Steelers last night after Rothlisberger fumbled and Ayers went for 6. Pitt got the ball back and scored in 4 plays. Then Orton forgot he was an NFL QB.

Strange game but the Steelers were dominant in the 2nd half and the Broncs looked like they were suffering b/c of the altitude.

Asking for the playoffs this year may have been too much for the Broncs, but hopefully they keep it together. We'll see.

For someone who seemed so confident that I was way off on the Broncos this year, and also thought they would beat the Steelers, you switch gears mighty fast.

Hows that gash Rashard Mendenhall put into you doin?  ;)

bear sin rug

For someone who seemed so confident that I was way off on the Broncos this year, and also thought they would beat the Steelers, you switch gears mighty fast.

Reality does that sometimes. It's as if I am going down a big mountain road with bad brakes; it would make little sense to switch in to a higher gear...  :-/
It's a bad idea

Ruckus

Well, it was about 3 weeks ago that I laughed at both the Cowboys and the Chargers.  I still don't feel the Chargers have the physicality on either front to challenge the top teams in the AFC and Rivers can take them only so far.

On the other hand, the Cowboys are a very balanced team in an NFC that is looking rather wide open.  That said, the Boys and Romo in particular do not have a good track record down the stretch.  

If I had to choose one that can do some real damage, I'd have to go with the Cowboys.

Who am I kidding?  It's already been decided that it will be a Jets/Bears Super Bowl.

The Saints look great but do you guys feel like they are peaking too early or are they just that team this year?
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

I think SD is solid despite having no running game, but yeah, I cant see them beating any AFC playoff teams.

Id say the Cowboys could do more damage just because after NO and MIN, I think you have to look at 6-7 teams that are better in the AFC than anything thats left after those 2 in the NFC. I guess you could say the NFC is wide open, but I cant see any team but NO or MIN in the super bowl.

I dont know if the Saints are peaking early or not. I think as the year goes, teams will start to figure out their D a little more. What helps them is that the playoffs will likely go through a dome in NO or in MIN, because Im not sure how tough theyd be outdoors in January someplaces. I doubt they can keep up as much offensive production as they have thus far though.

aMillionDreams

Quote...or you just got beat by a better team.  8-)

You talk shit too soon, we'll see about that November 15.

8-) 8-) 8-)

I guess I can talk shit now.  Cincinnati rules the AFC North.  

How about that defense?!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

The DARK

8-) 8-) 8-)

How about that defense?!

Gotta love it, I just hope that the players from both teams didn't get too badly banged up...  :-/
In another time, in another place, in another face

ManNamedTruth

8-) 8-) 8-)

How about that defense?!

Gotta love it, I just hope that the players from both teams didn't get too badly banged up...  :-/

Bengals are a big surprise, i give lots of props for sweeping the steelers and ravens this year. it isn't over yet though. see ya in the playoffs, hopefully!
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

TEO

"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

corey

Bengals need to keep their fingers crossed that Benson isn't too badly banged up. That cut hurt them tremendously if he has to miss any games.

Ruckus

QuoteC-O-L-T-S!!!  :)

So ummm....I put a good chunk of change on the Pats straight up on the moneyline.  They were getting 1.5 points.  I thought that's basically a pick 'em and I felt confident in the Pats with the Colts secondary so banged up.

Man those 1.5 points would have been nice :(

Congrats to your Colts TEO!  That was an impressive victory.

I know it's been beat to death but man I'm confused about that 4th down call.

Those two teams are incredible and Peyton Manning is amazing.  His accuracy and quick reads will never be matched.  I love how Garcon was never open during the game yet Manning was putting it in his hands every time he targeted him though Garcon didn't make a number of those plays.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

8-) 8-) 8-)

How about that defense?!

Bengals are a big surprise, i give lots of props for sweeping the steelers and ravens this year. it isn't over yet though. see ya in the playoffs, hopefully!

I dont think our offense was in sync at all, and I dont understand why they didnt run Mendenhall more. I also dont know why Ben started chucking the ball 40 yards downfield every series to covered receivers when usually our pass game is at its best when he works the underneath stuff more often. Gotta give cincy credit though, tough game, big win. They look like the Steelers these days with good defense and a running game  ;D

I cant help but think losing Polamalu early had a big impact, and I think from an emotional and leadership standpoint moreso than just his play. I think he gives the entire team, including the offense, a boost when he's playing.

That kick return TD seemed like it took the noise out of the crowd for the rest of the game too. If Jeff Reed could hunt down returners like he can hunt down 22yr old girls on the Southside on a friday night, we might be going somewhere.

Oh, and you best believe we be going to the playoffs True! I hope we get Round 3.

capt. scotty

QuoteBengals need to keep their fingers crossed that Benson isn't too badly banged up. That cut hurt them tremendously if he has to miss any games.

Benson has been playing very good, no doubt, but I think their O-Line has a lot to do with it as well. He'll be playing in a month at the most, so either way he'll be around when it counts. Wouldnt surprise me if Scott, LJ, or whoever steal 7-10 carries from him a game here on out though until playoff time

capt. scotty

QuoteC-O-L-T-S!!!  :)

So ummm....I put a good chunk of change on the Pats straight up on the moneyline.  They were getting 1.5 points.  I thought that's basically a pick 'em and I felt confident in the Pats with the Colts secondary so banged up.

Man those 1.5 points would have been nice :(

Congrats to your Colts TEO!  That was an impressive victory.

I know it's been beat to death but man I'm confused about that 4th down call.

Those two teams are incredible and Peyton Manning is amazing.  His accuracy and quick reads will never be matched.  I love how Garcon was never open during the game yet Manning was putting it in his hands every time he targeted him though Garcon didn't make a number of those plays.

Man, you always gotta take the points!! A couple years ago I was kind of on a small time betting spree, mostly on boxing and a little football. I decided to go big time on the Colts-Pats 07 regular season game because I had been doing so well, both teams 7-0 Im pretty sure, and I think I took the Pats -6.5...they won by 4. I havent made a bet of significance since  ;D

I see both sides of the argument on the 4th down call. I think you have to punt there, but I also dont think NE was stopping the plains plowing Indy offensive machine given the circumstance and the last couple drives either. I dont think it was a bad call really.

Peyton Manning is the best QB ever. Right now, already. Going to be awhile or never until someone is better.

AMightyCaporal

Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

capt. scotty

QuoteRun Ricky Run!  :)

Of course, the guy Im playing in my money league has Williams...I hope that mfer takes a direct flight back to india and starts ripping tubes again. Nothing like being down almost 35 points before the week has really even started  >:(

Quote0-3 plus Pennington is hurt  :'( :'( :'(

If I was a Dolphin fan, Id kind of want to see what I have in Chad Henne though. Its not like Pennington is going to take you to the promised land.

;)

aMillionDreams

::)

Is Hiene really doing that much better?
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

capt. scotty

Well the only teams theyve lost to since he's been starting are NO and NE

Obviously he's not the biggest reason why, but he also hasnt lost them any games either. Seems pretty good to me

The DARK

Way to prove yourselves the biggest last second screwups in the NFL once again, Bengals. :-/
In another time, in another place, in another face