Vancouver Olympics

Started by Jaimoe, Feb 05, 2010, 11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaimoe

I'm heading off to work for the 2010 Winter Olympics on Sunday morning. I believe the flight is over 5 hours from Toronto to Vancouver. I'm actually working on a MuchMusic TV show called MuchOnDemand (2 live shows daily), located in Whistler (we'll be at the bottom of Whistler Mountain - if you are around, look for the big Much logo and ask for me, Dave Ball); Much is Canada's version of MTV, and once was it's rival on some cable outlets in the US.

Go Canada! Let's get some hockey trash talking going, but I'm sure capt.headdy, Walts, joey_rogo and Yustin will be hugging each other while glued to the TV and wearing matching Johnny Weir jumpsuits during his routines.

vespachick

Have a GREAT time Jaimoe, that sounds like a ton of fun!  I LOVE me some Olympics!!!!
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

Jaimoe

Thanks vespachick (BTW, I want a Vespa very badly).

Canada's ski team have an astounding number of injuries coming into these games. Many of our top medal contenders got injuried during this season's World Cup. Right now, we have 7 medal contenders out. Anyway, Canadians could care less as long as we win Gold in men's hockey.

joey_rogo

That sounds like fun Jaimoe, have a safe trip. You gonna skip out on work and make it some of the hockey games? I've always liked the winter olympics better because of the downhill skiing and hockey. I can do without all this 'X-games' crap that has started to infiltrate the games though.

Ok.... hockey-talk time. Looking over the team USA roster, I feel like they are a definite step below Canada and some of the European teams when it comes to the defense and goaltending. Miller is a rock but I worry about Thomas and Quick. The D just doesn't impress me at all, however the US born defensmen pool wasn't that strong to being with IMO. Some good vets but that's about it. At least Komisarek got hurt so I don't have to watch that load skate around with USA on his chest.

I feel good about the forwards with the exception of Drury. Yeah yeah I know..'veteran leadership blah blah blah.' But Drury has been terrible for the Rangers the past 2 seasons. He is currently centering our 4th line, good job captain cash. He can't score and I haven't seen much leadership from him at all. Would've much rather seen Modano or Tkachuk in the 'Over the Hill Veteran' spot. In fact, I would've just removed it completely and given the nod to David Booth or TJ Oshie. Happy to see Callahan on the list though. I'm sure his super effort will impress some of the people who don't get to see him on a regular basis like I do.

And as for the trash talk.... I'll reserve the 'marty is fat' and 'he cheated on his wife' comments until the commentators start pissing me off with their neverending praise of him.

Good luck Jaimoe, hope to see you in the finals. (don't feel like it'll happen though)

Jaimoe

I like the US hockey team. Miller may be the best goalie in the NHL this season (Quick has played great in LA, but my man Thomas has been suspect this year). I believe Booth still hasn't recovered from his head injury. Ya, the US defense is a little suspect, but I think the US is building for the next winter games (although that's what they said with this year's World Junior team, and you won gold).

I doubt I'll be able to get away to any hockey games - Whistler is near Vancouver, but it's in the Rockies and a bit of a drive, so I'm told.

I will check in from time to time on the board, so let's get some trash going.

ALady

I love Johnny Weir like...a lot.  A LOT lot.  ;D  They've just started showing a documentary about him on the Sundance channel here and it's terribly entertaining if you happen to catch it.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

capt. scotty

Booth is still out, but Oshie definitely wouldve been a better choice than Drury. Hell, Guerin wouldve been better than Drury. I like the forwards a good bit, but so many of them are under 25. The D blows. I love Orpik, but when he is hands down the best D-man for your country, youre in trouble.

I dont expect us to win, and if Canadia or Russia wins, at least that means Sid or Geno get a gold medal.

...actually, I think I like the US women's hockey team the most  :-*

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jaimoe

QuoteI love Johnny Weir like...a lot.  A LOT lot.  ;D  They've just started showing a documentary about him on the Sundance channel here and it's terribly entertaining if you happen to catch it.

I wish I got that channel (I hear rumours it'll be in Ontario at some point soon).

I find this year's crop of male figure skaters more flamboyant than in past years. Canadian champ Patrick Chan has caused a ruckus here since he said he won't be doing the Quad; Kurt Browning alluded just yesterday that this will kill his chances at a medal.

Jaimoe

Women's hockey is a joke (not the sport, but the lack of competition). See ya in the finals USA, unless the Swedes fluke one out again this year.

ALady

I'm proud to say that the majority of the women's hockey team are from my alma mater.  First school to win men's and women's national championships in the same year   :)
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

capt. scotty

The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

BH

Canada's ski team have an astounding number of injuries coming into these games. Many of our top medal contenders got injuried during this season's World Cup. Right now, we have 7 medal contenders out.

Already starting with the excuses.  ;)

Seriously though, that sounds like a pretty darn cool gig you've got their Dave.  Have fun.  I'm looking forward to watching.  I'm a sucker for the Olympics.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Jaimoe

Great promo db. I think the Olympic organizers would give up their collective first-born children for cold weather depicted in the ad.

Jaimoe

Canada's ski team have an astounding number of injuries coming into these games. Many of our top medal contenders got injuried during this season's World Cup. Right now, we have 7 medal contenders out.

Already starting with the excuses.  ;)

Seriously though, that sounds like a pretty darn cool gig you've got their Dave.  Have fun.  I'm looking forward to watching.  I'm a sucker for the Olympics.

It's a good gig financially (double-salary plus $75 per diem per day for a month). However, some of the bands my show has booked are horrid... and/or ancient: Loverboy, Trooper (legendary Candian bar band from the '70s to mid '80s).

I'm very leery of the Opening Ceremonies being a success. I don't think they booked good acts (Celine Dion and other crappy pop bands), whereas bands such as Arcade Fire, Broken Soical Scene, Neil Young, Leonard Cohen, Rufus Wainright, Robbie Robertson, Sam Roberts, The Dears etc... are not performing. I think Feist will be doing something though. Somehow I think Bryan Adams will be doing something too, but don't hold me to that.

TEO

Have a GREAT time J! Weir jumpsuit on back order for me, hope it arrives on time...
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

TEO

QuoteBooth is still out, but Oshie definitely wouldve been a better choice than Drury. Hell, Guerin wouldve been better than Drury. I like the forwards a good bit, but so many of them are under 25. The D blows. I love Orpik, but when he is hands down the best D-man for your country, youre in trouble.

I dont expect us to win, and if Canadia or Russia wins, at least that means Sid or Geno get a gold medal.

...actually, I think I like the US women's hockey team the most  :-*

TGC...
"You are only as young as the last time you changed your mind" T. Leary

Jaimoe

QuoteHave a GREAT time J! Weir jumpsuit on back order for me, hope it arrives on time...

I hope it's the fur-lined one he wore recently that got PETA all fired up.

.Walt

Not burst your bubble, but I can tell you haven't been around US female hockey players before, most are not in to you. Sorry  ;)

I expect nothing but the gold. I really think we can compete against Russia, Sweden, and Canada. It's never okay to be cool with the Russians winning anything! If Geno wins a gold medal, I'll go Bobby Knight on anything I can get my hands on.

Although I'd be cool with Nicklas Backstrom winning a little something something   8-)

Miller is probably the best goalie in the NHL, but he's been struggling lately, which has me worried. Jaimoe have fun, and post some pics when you get back!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM2ja_ZFFy8[/media]
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Jaimoe

There'll be no Don Cherry and Coach's Corner at this Olympics. CBC got outbidded by CTV for these games and the next ones as well, which means TSN and CTV will be doing the hockey. This'll mean more Pierre McGuire (however, CTV pinched some of the best CBC hockey announcers years ago which includes Chris Cuthbert - probably the best play-by-play man in hockey).