Forum Appreciation Thread

Started by Johnny_Yac, Apr 08, 2010, 11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

QuoteSo, I know of two people who experienced being "banned" on this forum, though Dylan's example suggests some are temporary and others permanent.  Would it not be helpful to have an idea what activities or postings would warrant being banned?  I don't see any "rules" or prohibitions described anywhere, nor do I recall clicking on some agreement button for Terms and Conditions.  Anybody know if...........

BANNED

Basically if you annoy a lot of people and they complain about you

OR

If you go out of your way to demean or be an asshole to individual(s) and they complain about you

...unlike most boards, they dont give 2 fucks about language here
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteSo, I know of two people who experienced being "banned" on this forum, though Dylan's example suggests some are temporary and others permanent.  Would it not be helpful to have an idea what activities or postings would warrant being banned?  I don't see any "rules" or prohibitions described anywhere, nor do I recall clicking on some agreement button for Terms and Conditions.  Anybody know if...........

BANNED

it is really hard to get banned here.  getting banned can happen for all sorts of reasons.  I can't really remember the exact reason I got banned but it was mostly for being an asshole, even though I was being an asshole in the name of freedom.  It was like being cyber-lynched.  regardless, when they ban you you are completely cut off from the forum.  there are ways around being IP banned but it still sucks.  

To put things simply the leak of Evil Urges caused some tension around here.  Huge debates and people getting pissed off.  

johnnYYac

BANNED

it is really hard to get banned here.  getting banned can happen for all sorts of reasons.  I can't really remember the exact reason I got banned but it was mostly for being an asshole, even though I was being an asshole in the name of freedom.  It was like being cyber-lynched.  regardless, when they ban you you are completely cut off from the forum.  there are ways around being IP banned but it still sucks.  

To put things simply the leak of Evil Urges caused some tension around here.  Huge debates and people getting pissed off.  

I kinda figured that was the case, but figure, without clear rules or expections, you can't punish someone without at least warning them that their behavior is inappropriate.  Obviously, particularly in this thread, there is an unspoken level of respect and common cause to hold it all together.  And I'm not suggesting we need a big-ass list of rules, I'm just saying that.......

BANNED!!!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

johnnYYac

The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

aMillionDreams

People get banned for all kinds of reasons but it doesn't really happen that often. Usually whenever they release a new album things get heated around here. The mods went a little ban crazy after EU came out and some people got banned for silly reasons but for the most part people only get banned for personal attacks or for being seriously annoying.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

BANNED

I kinda figured that was the case, but figure, without clear rules or expections, you can't punish someone without at least warning them that their behavior is inappropriate.  Obviously, particularly in this thread, there is an unspoken level of respect and common cause to hold it all together.  And I'm not suggesting we need a big-ass list of rules, I'm just saying that.......

BANNED!!!

we debated the rules to haha.  I think that was one of the biggest fights I can remember.  there were a couple really sweet people who got taken down early in their jacket career.  weird times.  glad things are chill for now.  

Ghosts_on_TV

A bunch of good people straight up left then too. That sucked. The EU leak was like the dark times of the forum. Haha.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...

bowl of soup

QuotePeople get banned for all kinds of reasons but it doesn't really happen that often. Usually whenever they release a new album things get heated around here. The mods went a little ban crazy after EU came out and some people got banned for silly reasons but for the most part people only get banned for personal attacks or for being seriously annoying.

I got banned by Tommy's wife after getting into an argument with her about Chinese foreign policy while the olympics were going on.  I dared her to ban me and she did.  She then went on a scorched earth campaign to rival Sherman and began removing any mention of my existence or support for me.

We then exchanged some emails and she unbanned me as she checked out of the forum.  I've been kicking around planet earth for some time now and this whole episode was one of the stranger things that has ever happened to me.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

pawpaw

I like this forum, a lot. I like that it's a positive place with a core group of really friendly people. The house band ain't too bad either.  8-)
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuotePeople get banned for all kinds of reasons but it doesn't really happen that often. Usually whenever they release a new album things get heated around here. The mods went a little ban crazy after EU came out and some people got banned for silly reasons but for the most part people only get banned for personal attacks or for being seriously annoying.

I got banned by Tommy's wife after getting into an argument with her about Chinese foreign policy while the olympics were going on.  I dared her to ban me and she did.  She then went on a scorched earth campaign to rival Sherman and began removing any mention of my existence or support for me.

We then exchanged some emails and she unbanned me as she checked out of the forum.  I've been kicking around planet earth for some time now and this whole episode was one of the stranger things that has ever happened to me.

I can't explain to you how cool it is that you got banned for arguing with Tom's wife.   I love this place hahaha.  Arguing with the band members spouses hahha so awesome.

aMillionDreams

I remember all too well.  The second time I got banned was for sticking up for you.  I think the exact post was "Bowl of Soup was unfairly banned" and then all of a sudden I couldn't even read the board anymore.  I had to beg for my forum life back. Management had a vote to see if I should be allowed back and ultimately I was reinstated under the pretense that I not make waves (whatever that means, hopefully recounting this doesn't count, but if I don't post tomorrow I'm off to "disneyland").  The weirdest part was LP, the mod who banned me, voted for me to come back and Riny voted for lifetime ban. Strange indeed.

But as I said, despite that craziness I love this place and that stuff is in the past.  I'm learning how to forgive and forget and I owe that in large part to this place.
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

I remember all too well.  The second time I got banned was for sticking up for you.  I think the exact post was "Bowl of Soup was unfairly banned" and then all of a sudden I couldn't even read the board anymore.  I had to beg for my forum life back. Management had a vote to see if I should be allowed back and ultimately I was reinstated under the pretense that I not make waves (whatever that means, hopefully recounting this doesn't count, but if I don't post tomorrow I'm off to "disneyland").  The weirdest part was LP, the mod who banned me, voted for me to come back and Riny voted for lifetime ban. Strange indeed.

But as I said, despite that craziness I love this place and that stuff is in the past.  I'm learning how to forgive and forget and I owe that in large part to this place.

banning people from a message board devoted to a bands music has always seemed counter productive to me.  It shouldn't be a rule that everyone in the world has to be best friends in order to like the same band.  

Without some feverish debate this place would be stagnant and boring.  It's just a shame when people can dish it but can't take it.  That's why I keep tellin CC to make my bitch ass a mod already.  This place would be heaven.   But no, he's gotta stomp all over my dreams like I'm worthless.  

One day the glory will be ours and those who have banned us in the past must repent for a reckoning is coming.  The storm is starting.  The Tour is almost here, and once it arrives there is no going back.

long live MMJ.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

QuoteI love you, too, bluntmaster!  I'm not really supposed to talk about my bannings.  Amazingly enough, though, neither had anything to do with Tracy.

the admins are cock blocking ban stories?  uncool.  

Is there any history behind the word "Carrot" as a replacement for the F word?  Was this a revision that happened after somebody said the F word too many times?  

I think radish is replaced with radish

EDIT: Yep...d-i-k-e is for some reason translated to radish

hmm..

So around here Homo's are Carrots and Lesbo's are Radish?  Always seemed to me like they are just making up newer, fresher, slang words.  

"dude you're totally acting like a Carrot right now".  

"Go Radish out with that hooker you dumb Carrot".

I can still be offensive...  maybe that's just my mantra though.