The Montana Thread

Started by talleshortz, Aug 12, 2009, 01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruckus

One of the most beautiful places if not the most beautiful that I have ever been fortunate enough to visit.  I envy those that can step out every day and go fly fishing as they wish.

I was there for two days in Glacier where I encountered numerous mountain goats and yes...a grizzly cub in the wild.  I did what any awestruck hiker would do, snapped a couple of photos and bailed as fast possible.

For those that live there or in the area, it would be great to see some pics.  I need to properly scan my pics which are from a decade or so ago.

On a side note, we left Glacier to go to Calgary and Banff through an obscure border crossing that apparently was a high trafficking zone.  (What part of the US/Canadian border isn't?)

We got detained and our entire truck was emptied out and each of the four of us were individually interrogated.  They even squeezed out the shampoo and toothpaste to see if we had any contraband. >:(

The best part, the one place they didn't check, inside the open Cheeze Itz box with the rest of our food where i figured dogs would have the most trouble. ;D ;D ;D

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

I love it Ruckus  ;D

I will def post my pics at some point, its crucial. I think I took something like 170-190 pics, and I deleted probably 100 on top of that. Thank god for digital cameras 8-)

I loved Glacier Nat'l park. We went there the 2nd day I was there. Saw Yellowstone/Tetons maybe a week later, and after seeing Glacier, Yellowstone was VERY underwhelming.

Glacier has got to be one of the most beautiful places in teh USA
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

aMillionDreams

I'd love to make it out there one of these days.  Untamed wilderness.  Truly god's country. Just ask Frank

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJN_uWaVRfo[/media]
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

Paulie_Walnuts

Did a tour of Yellowstone and up to Glacier a couple of years ago. I could live out the rest of my days in Glacier, reading, listening to music and swimming in those snow melt rivers!

I dream about getting enough money together, retiring and emigrating to Montana...what a place.

I'll dig out some pictures.
Paulie W

pawpaw

Yeah, Yellowstone is pretty underwhelming next to Glacier, but the fishing in the Yellowstone (and Madison) River is OUTSTANDING!!!

Looking forward to those pictures!
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Paulie_Walnuts

Some Yellowstone, which I wouldn't describe as underwhelming at all:

Paulie W

Paulie_Walnuts

And some general Montana pics. Pics from Glacier to follow after work today:

Paulie W

pawpaw

GREAT pictures PW!   8-)

Paulie_Walnuts

Here are my Glacier National Park pics. That water was the coldest I have ever experienced.....but it was just bearable. The guy diving in was a 50 year old ex Army Ranger. All these dudes were psyching themselves up to jump in and he just climbed up and launched himself in. Respect!

The Deliverance-style swimming is me:

Man I wanna go back there!!
Paulie W

pawpaw

Those bottom few, that's why Glacier rules Yellowstone, imo. I'm a freak for dramatic topography...I heart Glacier  :-*

Thanks for posting your pics P Dub!

.Walt

Nice pictures!

My mom worked at Glacier when she was in college.  Maybe I can post some of her pictures from the early 70's.  8-)
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Ruckus

Glacier pics from a decade ago.  Good 'ole generic disposable cameras so there was no zoom on that grizzly cub. ;D

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

capt. scotty

I think all my awesome pics just got pre-empted  ;D

Great pics Paulie. and some of those first Yellowstone pics put mine to shame, but I agree with BB that those last few just show how unbelievable Glacier is.

Ruckus - is that first pic hidden lake?!
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Paulie_Walnuts

Put 'em up anyway....the more the better. I forgot it was called Hidden Lake! It was a really hot day when we went there but was worth the small walk.

I love the scenic mountain views too, but I think it's unfair to compare it to Yellowstone. Yellowstone may not have the dramatic views but it's such a unique place. I could sit an look at those boiling mud pots all day. I'd love to go there in the winter and see trhe buffalo keeping warm around those steaming water pools.
Paulie W

Sparkle

Wow, those pics are incredible. I've been thinking about doing another roadtrip in the States next year and I think I've just found my destination.

Thanks for sharing  :)

Paulie_Walnuts

We've got plenty of good tips for you I'm sure!

I couldn't split my California and Montana holidays, they were both incredible but in different ways.

Montana has plenty to do, has great scenery and places to visit....but most of all it felt like really getting away from modern life. It was a place where you could just sit and look at nature and never tire of it, or want to leave.

Definitely recommended for your next road trip!
Paulie W

Sparkle

QuoteIt was a place where you could just sit and look at nature and never tire of it, or want to leave.

Sounds perfect!

I'll definitely come back to the forum for recommendations if it happens - you were all so helpful last time  :)

Soulshine

QuoteI love it Ruckus  ;D

I will def post my pics at some point, its crucial. I think I took something like 170-190 pics, and I deleted probably 100 on top of that. Thank god for digital cameras 8-)

I loved Glacier Nat'l park. We went there the 2nd day I was there. Saw Yellowstone/Tetons maybe a week later, and after seeing Glacier, Yellowstone was VERY underwhelming.

Glacier has got to be one of the most beautiful places in teh USA

I dream of the day I can go to Glacier. Thanks for the pic sharing everyone.
Because we're all in this together...

capt. scotty

Finally got my pics from last summer in Montana uploaded on the computer...I'll post them in a few installments as I have a ton.

First pic of the trip: the bear in the Missoula airport

First stop: Big Sky Brewery in Missoula for some free samples of Trout Slayer Ale, Moose Drool Brown Ale, Scape Goat Pale Ale, and Big Sky IPA!

Sign that was helpful a few nights of vacation

The next dozen or so, including the church, were taken on the drive from Missoula to Glacier National Park

St. Ignatius

Luxurious motel we stayed at outside Glacier

capt. scotty

whats the easiest way to shrink these bad boys?  :o

theyre in photobucket