Mountain Biking

Started by KY_Kid, Jul 28, 2010, 12:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy

QuoteNice dude!!!

...and I disagree that your rear starts to get used to bike riding. My taint is hurtin me every time I start to ride. I think after 20 minutes it just starts to go numb and it doesnt feel as bad. I need a new seat. I need some kind of seat with a big hole in the middle so my boys can hang and the taint can be happy
I've always referred to this area as the "nacha" (same joke), and no, bike riding has never been good to it.

Kick ass, flyguy!
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Penny Lane

I just sold my Cannondale F4 (2007) last night. Boo hoo.

Sorry about your taint, Capt.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

jones

QuoteI just sold my Cannondale F4 (2007) last night. Boo hoo.
Well, what the heck for?  You're moving away from the concrete jungle and you ditched your mountain bike?  Oh, you're upgrading in preperation of all those sweet Ohio trails, aren't you?

capt. scotty

QuoteDid you get some padded shorts?  I think that WTB makes some decent saddles, but I'm still running my stock Specialized saddle that has, well, next to no padding at all.  Hence, the shorts.  If your riding for fun then comfort should be a pretty high priority.

Are you hitting the trails yet or are you still mostly riding on the road?

Yeah, I guess I should look into padded shorts.

Just stuck to the road so far.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

jones

QuoteDid you get some padded shorts?  I think that WTB makes some decent saddles, but I'm still running my stock Specialized saddle that has, well, next to no padding at all.  Hence, the shorts.  If your riding for fun then comfort should be a pretty high priority.

Are you hitting the trails yet or are you still mostly riding on the road?

Yeah, I guess I should look into padded shorts.

Just stuck to the road so far.
You will probably need shorts and a seat once you go off-road if it's bugging you that bad.  There's a LOT more bouncing once you hit the singletrack with all of the roots, rocks, etc...

jones

I'm riding some sweet ribbon singletrack in French Lick, IN early this Sunday morning if anyone wants to meet up.

http://www.frenchlick.com/recreation/HikingandBiking/index.jsp

Penny Lane

QuoteI just sold my Cannondale F4 (2007) last night. Boo hoo.
Well, what the heck for?  You're moving away from the concrete jungle and you ditched your mountain bike?  Oh, you're upgrading in preperation of all those sweet Ohio trails, aren't you?

Basically.
Also i don't want to have to get a moving truck.
It's amazing, I  have less possessions now than I did at age 21. That was a sweet bike. Too bad I didn't get full use out of it. My next will be one of those sweet road bikes that fold up to the size of a nickel and weigh about the same. In a few years..

Jaimoe

I'd love to ride a mountain bike, but I'm a bike commuter so I have a hybrid instead. They are faster for the most part - which I need since I'm often pressed for time for work - and can handle the streetcar (trolly) tracks and rougher roads in downtown Toronto.

What kind of locks do you folks use? I have a Kryptonite, which Toronto police rated the best by far of all U-locks; the company also will reimburse you if your bike is stolen using one of their locks. You need a power-tool to break one of these babies.  

jones

I bet that you guys have some great trails up there.  

The only time I lock my bike is when I go eat after I ride.  I just use a cheapo combo cable lock around my frame and vehicle rack.  You couldn't give a mountain bike away to most people around here (what do you mean I have to pedal it?) so I don't have to worry about it too much.

Jaimoe

QuoteI bet that you guys have some great trails up there.  

The only time I lock my bike is when I go eat after I ride.  I just use a cheapo combo cable lock around my frame and vehicle rack.  You couldn't give a mountain bike away to most people around here (what do you mean I have to pedal it?) so I don't have to worry about it too much.

If you lived here, your bike would be stolen in a day. Seattle and Toronto are bike thief capitals.

We do have some good trails, especially in the downtown. Across the street is the Don Valley which has trails along the Don River; one goes on for 30ks. Toronto Island is an awesome place to bike too.

However, bikes are in a war with cars in the city, and bikes lose. We need more dedicated street lanes.  

BH

QuoteI'm riding some sweet ribbon singletrack in French Lick, IN early this Sunday morning if anyone wants to meet up.

Yeah right, like anybody wants to ride with the #1 TBRA mountain biker.  

I could say hello to you every time you lapped me.

(Do they make tandem mountian bikes?) ;)

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

jones

QuoteI'm riding some sweet ribbon singletrack in French Lick, IN early this Sunday morning if anyone wants to meet up.

Yeah right, like anybody wants to ride with the #1 TBRA mountain biker.  

I could say hello to you every time you lapped me.

(Do they make tandem mountian bikes?) ;)

I'm sure that they do and that we would look super cute riding one.  

As an alternative there's always the mountain train:

Although I am proud of it, don't be fooled by the ranking.  I am in the beginner category...

BH

You should be proud.  That's awesome.  I'm just teasing.

Although I could see myself with a beer hat riding on that tandem bike with you.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

mjkoehler

Wish there was a LIKE button.

jones

QuoteAthough I could see myself with a beer hat riding on that tandem bike with you.
Something like this (just without the Budweiser):

jones

It is a known fact that there is a serious connection between mountain biking and beer drinking.

Penny Lane

QuoteIt is a known fact that there is a serious connection between mountain biking and beer drinking.

there is a bigger connection w/beer drinking and having a penis