The Other Sports Thread

Started by capt._headdy, Jul 19, 2009, 12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

QuoteAnyone else going to watch the Lebron special tonight? Is this the first time a pro athlete has had a primetime special for free agency? What the hell?

I don't know what I'd want him to do. Being from the midwest it's hard to keep our stars. We just got our hometown hero Joe Mauer signed, so I realize the importances of it to a community. So I kinda want him to stay in Cleveland. But that buddy I have from Cleveland would be devastated, and I kinda want that to happen. I guess I'm going to hope he stays.  

I despise that he's doing this, basically proclaiming he's more important than any other player in the league (and giving me just another reason to like Kobe more than him), but I wont be able to look away tonight. Im not sure if it was broadcast because sports media wasnt what it is today back then, but I believe Gretzky did the same thing when he went from the Oil to the Kings.

Everybody today is saying he's gone and going to Miami. Lebron, Bosh, and Dywane - not to mention Beasley if he picks his game up - will be ridiculous. Its almost unfair and hard to believe its even possible with a salary cap. Hopefully the finals next year is Lakers-Heat, that would be tits.

In my heart, I know he'll stay. Even though the $ goes to charity, I can't see him setting that hoopla up, only to devastate an entire city. I think he'll stay and then they can try to go after Chris Paul. LeBron, Chris and Byron Scott, nice big happy family.

If he goes to Chicago, I'll GET IT, but I won't be happy.

If he goes to Miami, he's dead to me. No one wants an NBA dream team, it was boring the first time in the Olympics. Plus, if he DOES win, what will it really mean? He won't go to Miami. No room for all the egos, only one basketball to go around. (He's NOT going to Miami)

Sports Guy's column is great today, check it out.

Hope I'm not eating my words, but I think he's gonna stay because he wants to not just win, but he wants to do it in Cleveland. Plus he can't leave, just as I'm coming back home.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

Lebron can go %$#* himself.  The difference between Kobe and Lebron is that Kobe acts like he's the shit and knows that he acts like he's the shit while Lebron acts like he 's the shit and somehow honestly pretends like he doesn't act like he's the shit.

What's up with Ohio?  First Terrell Pryor press conference and now this.  Next up, Shin Soo Choo will announce why he is denouncing kimchi for health reasons. ::)  
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Penny Lane

QuoteLebron can go %$#* himself.  The difference between Kobe and Lebron is that Kobe acts like he's the shit and knows that he acts like he's the shit while Lebron acts like he 's the shit and somehow honestly pretends like he doesn't act like he's the shit.

What's up with Ohio?  First Terrell Pryor press conference and now this.  Next up, Shin Soo Choo will announce why he is denouncing kimchi for health reasons. ::)  

Shin Soo Choo this, b*tch.  ;) How does setting up a press conference to announce your move not somehow acknowledging you think you're the sh*t?

Terrell's taking us all the way this year (but that's for another thread) ..go back to your NFL blah blah

I'll see you in DC at the rawk show.

capt. scotty

In my heart, I know he'll stay. Even though the $ goes to charity, I can't see him setting that hoopla up, only to devastate an entire city. I think he'll stay and then they can try to go after Chris Paul. LeBron, Chris and Byron Scott, nice big happy family.

That makes sense, but I think James is so full of himself at this point he isnt thinking about the city. He's thinking about $$$, championships, and his legacy - although IMO, winning a bunch of championships with Dywane and Bosh at his side doesnt have near the same impact as winning it in Cleveland without them.

I hope they go 75-7 this year and lose to the Lakers in the finals
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

QuoteLebron can go %$#* himself.  The difference between Kobe and Lebron is that Kobe acts like he's the shit and knows that he acts like he's the shit while Lebron acts like he 's the shit and somehow honestly pretends like he doesn't act like he's the shit.

Shin Soo Choo this, b*tch.  ;) How does setting up a press conference to announce your move not somehow acknowledging you think you're the sh*t?

Terrell's taking us all the way this year (but that's for another thread) ..go back to your NFL blah blah

Point taken.  Ten bucks he starts by saying, "I'd like to thank my supporting cast and my fans..."  So who do you think really orchestrated this thing.  I mean, everyone benefits.  Who made the first phone call?  The NBA, Lebron's people, or ABC/ESPN?

capt. scotty

Quote So who do you think really orchestrated this thing.  I mean, everyone benefits.  Who made the first phone call?  The NBA, Lebron's people, or ABC/ESPN?

Id guess Lebron/his people wanted this to happen and the charity stuff was thought up after the fact so only 75% of the population get on his case instead of everybody jumping all over him.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

iLikeBeer

Quote So who do you think really orchestrated this thing.  I mean, everyone benefits.  Who made the first phone call?  The NBA, Lebron's people, or ABC/ESPN?

Id guess Lebron/his people wanted this to happen and the charity stuff was thought up after the fact so only 75% of the population get on his case instead of everybody jumping all over him.

This would be my guess.

All I have to say is that if he does stomp on the hearts of Cleveland fans once again, I would not want to be in his shoes when the Heat make their bi-anual visits to the Q.  Art Modell has NEVER stepped foot back in Cleveland since he ripped the Browns out from under us.  But LeBron won't have a choice.

Part of me agrees with Penny in that I can't imagine he would have the audacity to schedule this bullshit nationally televised press conference as a means to stab his hometown fans in the back.  But then again, I never would have imagined him orchestrating an hour long special on national tv to tell us his intentions either...  ::)

I also agree with Penny in that if he does go to Miami he is dead to me as well.  I really don't see how those 3 egos will co-exhist on one team.  I mean all 3 were in the top 10 in the league in scoring.  But that was also due to the fact that they were THE guy on each of their respective teams.  

LeBron is already despised pretty much around the rest of the NBA outside of Cleveland.  And with his dissing of Chicago and New York, you can bet he will be most despised now in two of the biggest markets in the NBA.  Add in the fact that Miami isn't all that great of a sports town and I think he is abslolutely foolish if he bolts to Miami.  He will be villified everywhere outside of Miami and their fans are meh at best.

And sure the Heat will become instant favorites to win it all, but what will LeBron going to Miami do to his legacy?  The Heat have been and will always be Wade's team.  IMO, LeBron's legacy will be riding the coat-tails of Wade because he wasn't good enough to win a ring on his own!

I hope the rumors are wrong and he comes out and announces he's staying in Cleveland.  But even with that said.  This whole hour long special to announce who has the priviledge of landing King James has lessened the respect I have for that young man.  

And to add to the increasing lack of respect I have for King James, yes his hour long love fest with himself will be donating proceeds to the Boys and Girls Clubs.  But did you hear where his love fest special is being televised?  At the Boys and Girls Club of Greenwich CT?!  The same Greenwich CT that is the wealthiest community per capita in the USA!  As I heard on the radio yesterday, what do kids do at the Boys and Girls Club in Greenwich CT?  Learn yaghting and polo or maybe how to set up their portfolios?!?!  ;D  Just another example of how pretentious and out of touch with reality the King really is...  :-/

.Walt

I really think that the Cavs fans fucked themselves by booing him and the team. You don't do that to your boy in his contract year. I still think he should stay in Cleveland, that city needs him badly. It's not like they sucked either, so he has a good chance at winning. I don't get why free agents wouldn't wanna play with him. So I think they can build around him if he stays.

I go with ESPN reaching out to LeBron and paying his ass.  Then selling him on doing something for charity, so it doesn'y look that bad.
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

.Walt

This would be my guess.

All I have to say is that if he does stomp on the hearts of Cleveland fans once again, I would not want to be in his shoes when the Heat make their bi-anual visits to the Q.  Art Modell has NEVER stepped foot back in Cleveland since he ripped the Browns out from under us.  But LeBron won't have a choice.

Part of me agrees with Penny in that I can't imagine he would have the audacity to schedule this bullshit nationally televised press conference as a means to stab his hometown fans in the back.  But then again, I never would have imagined him orchestrating an hour long special on national tv to tell us his intentions either...  ::)

I also agree with Penny in that if he does go to Miami he is dead to me as well.  I really don't see how those 3 egos will co-exhist on one team.  I mean all 3 were in the top 10 in the league in scoring.  But that was also due to the fact that they were THE guy on each of their respective teams.  

LeBron is already despised pretty much around the rest of the NBA outside of Cleveland.  And with his dissing of Chicago and New York, you can bet he will be most despised now in two of the biggest markets in the NBA.  Add in the fact that Miami isn't all that great of a sports town and I think he is abslolutely foolish if he bolts to Miami.  He will be villified everywhere outside of Miami and their fans are meh at best.

And sure the Heat will become instant favorites to win it all, but what will LeBron going to Miami do to his legacy?  The Heat have been and will always be Wade's team.  IMO, LeBron's legacy will be riding the coat-tails of Wade because he wasn't good enough to win a ring on his own!

I hope the rumors are wrong and he comes out and announces he's staying in Cleveland.  But even with that said.  This whole hour long special to announce who has the priviledge of landing King James has lessened the respect I have for that young man.  

And to add to the increasing lack of respect I have for King James, yes his hour long love fest with himself will be donating proceeds to the Boys and Girls Clubs.  But did you hear where his love fest special is being televised?  At the Boys and Girls Club of Greenwich CT?!  The same Greenwich CT that is the wealthiest community per capita in the USA!  As I heard on the radio yesterday, what do kids do at the Boys and Girls Club in Greenwich CT?  Learn yaghting and polo or maybe how to set up their portfolios?!?!  ;D  Just another example of how pretentious and out of touch with reality the King really is...  :-/

I agree with everything you just said.  And laughed at the end about Greenwich CT. Awesome!

capt. scotty

Well played, Mauer.

Good point about Greenwich, CT too  ;D

Penny Lane

Point taken.  Ten bucks he starts by saying, "I'd like to thank my supporting cast and my fans..."  So who do you think really orchestrated this thing.  I mean, everyone benefits.  Who made the first phone call?  The NBA, Lebron's people, or ABC/ESPN?

Dead to me. It's like joining the Globetrotters. The Cavs gave away their future and now they're screwed. Such a dissappointment, enjoy South Beach. God has a special place for you and Art Modell (lol)...

Jaimoe

Dead to me. It's like joining the Globetrotters. The Cavs gave away their future and now they're screwed. Such a dissappointment, enjoy South Beach. God has a special place for you and Art Modell (lol)...

I hated the Heat before Bosh and LeBron joined up. Now I hate them even more than the Lakers, Knicks and Nets. Fuck them and fuck Bosh for fucking over Toronto.  

Ruckus

See ya at the rawk show! :D

Lebron is trying to build a legacy outside of basketball and that's just not possible in Cleveland.  The ladies are just finer in South Beach and I can't blame him for that.

Get Brad Daugherty's ass away from NASCAR and get yourselves the Triple Towers of Z (is he still a Cav?), Brazilian V and Brad D and y'all are good to go.

capt. scotty

I hated the Heat before Bosh and LeBron joined up. Now I hate them even more than the Lakers, Knicks and Nets. Fuck them and fuck Bosh for fucking over Toronto.  

Why have you hated the Heat before now?

Also, Im surprised Bosh actually stayed in Toronto as long as he did. He didnt even want to play in Cleveland for christsake. I dont really see how he fucked over Toronto.

That said, I like Kobe more than Lebron but him going to Miami instantly makes me more interested in the NBA

Ruckus

Hey Jaimoe,

It's been argued before in baseball and here again in basketball.  How much do you think the Canadian federal income tax has to do with these decisions (BJ Ryan aside)?  Regardless of the current exchange rate, Bosh went from a higher federal rate to a state that has no state income tax.

TheBigChicken

Penny - Tell the king to swoop through Tampa and pick my ass up :D  too bad Cleveland...
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Haldon

Very rarely do I say, "I'm glad I live in Miami."  However, this morning I am glad I live in Miami.  

Now to find a way to afford tickets to a game.

.Walt

Had a great night texting my buddy last night, but I really feel bad. I'm listening to the Cleveland sports radio station, and it's very entertaining. I really hate that there was some type of collusion going on between all 3 of them. And throw in the sleazy Pat Riley, wow. LBJ should've taken a page outta another MVP and most allstar votes, Joe Mauer. But Mauer wouldn't have made it into all about himself, and talked in the third person. I started watching ESPN about 30mins before the "the decision", and 5mins before 8, I thought to myself I can't believe how flat out ridiculous this is.

He's gone on, and so are his chances of being the greatest ever. He never won a thing, and you can't say the Cavs didn't try to give him everything he wanted. What more could they do? Clearly you can even pay for loyalty. Kobe will be always better. I hope he knows that. He was so loved by everyone. He's hated now. No longer a marketing darling. People still want to see players with one team their entire career. Even if that player isn't on their favorite team. Loyalty is so special. I really feel bad for Cleveland.

But on a side note...If LBJ didn't leave, the T-Wolves wouldn't be getting Beasley.  

Tracy 3000

the 1 thing I remember from The Lebron James Show last night?

Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

Penny Lane

QuoteHad a great night texting my buddy last night, but I really feel bad. I'm listening to the Cleveland sports radio station, and it's very entertaining. I really hate that there was some type of collusion going on between all 3 of them. And throw in the sleazy Pat Riley, wow. LBJ should've taken a page outta another MVP and most allstar votes, Joe Mauer. But Mauer wouldn't have made it into all about himself, and talked in the third person. I started watching ESPN about 30mins before the "the decision", and 5mins before 8, I thought to myself I can't believe how flat out ridiculous this is.

He's gone on, and so are his chances of being the greatest ever. He never won a thing, and you can't say the Cavs didn't try to give him everything he wanted. What more could they do? Clearly you can even pay for loyalty. Kobe will be always better. I hope he knows that. He was so loved by everyone. He's hated now. No longer a marketing darling. People still want to see players with one team their entire career. Even if that player isn't on their favorite team. Loyalty is so special. I really feel bad for Cleveland.

But on a side note...If LBJ didn't leave, the T-Wolves wouldn't be getting Beasley.  

nicely said, Walts

i think the owner's letter was more for the fans, and yeah it was bitter and immature..but i'm glad it was said

i just don't remember Ewing or Hakeem or Karl leaving...but times have changed and i guess rings are more important now. and it IS collusion, he may as well have joined the globetrotters...

i also just bought my neice a lebron jersey for good karma...damn

and big chicken, was waiting to hear from you....! you and Haldon enjoy..  ;)