Futbol Anyone?

Started by purvis9876, Dec 10, 2008, 05:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

Quotenot that we're talking about MLS here--but i'm a Columbus Crew fan
:-) we won it all this year, i used to have season tix back when Brian McBride played for them-before he went to everton

Man I get jealous of the teams that have soccer specific stadiums.  That Columbus stadium is gorgeous.  Even though I'm not a huge f an of MLS, when I go to games, its for DC United matches at RFK which is a shithole.:-[

I hope they get a new, soccer only stadium in the near future.

I think the MLS also should encourage all new stadiums to be built in the downtown. Most are in the 'burbs. Toronto's is in a perfect location right on the waterfront.

Even though it's not downtown, the Crew stadium is adjacent to OSU campus, which helps.  Columbus is the perfect city but it lacks water, that's my only complaint about it. I'd love to have a downtown waterfront--they have the Blue Jackets arena, the minor league baseball team, etc;  :(
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Jaimoe

:-) we won it all this year, i used to have season tix back when Brian McBride played for them-before he went to everton

Man I get jealous of the teams that have soccer specific stadiums.  That Columbus stadium is gorgeous.  Even though I'm not a huge f an of MLS, when I go to games, its for DC United matches at RFK which is a shithole.:-[

I think the MLS also should encourage all new stadiums to be built in the downtown. Most are in the 'burbs. Toronto's is in a perfect location right on the waterfront.

Even though it's not downtown, the Crew stadium is adjacent to OSU campus, which helps.  Columbus is the perfect city but it lacks water, that's my only complaint about it. I'd love to have a downtown waterfront--they have the Blue Jackets arena, the minor league baseball team, etc;  :(

I'm a fan of Rick Nash, Adam Foote and like the Blue Jackets.

Toronto's huge waterfront is disjointed - some good things, but the fight to revitalize it has been ongoing for 20 years. Still, things are happening slowly and surely (I'm being optimistic).

Penny Lane

Toronto's huge waterfront is disjointed - some good things, but the fight to revitalize it has been ongoing for 20 years. Still, things are happening slowly and surely (I'm being optimistic).

yeah steve nash is awesome. i saw them play the predators this year and we beat them for the first time in a long time i think; if i move back, i'm definitely getting season tix;

BH

Did you ever make a road-trip to crazy BMO Field to see the Crew vs TFC? I saw Columbus play last year. It was nuts. I hate McBride.

Why would you hate McBride?  He's my hometown soccer hero (St. Louis).

I love soccer and look forward to getting an MLS team in St. Louis.  I do wish I knew more about how the European league structures worked and so forth.   The key in any sport, in my opinion, is having someone to root for!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Penny Lane

Did you ever make a road-trip to crazy BMO Field to see the Crew vs TFC? I saw Columbus play last year. It was nuts. I hate McBride.

I love soccer and look forward to getting an MLS team in St. Louis.  I do wish I knew more about how the European league structures worked and so forth.   The key in any sport, in my opinion, is having someone to root for!

yeah good point! i'm glad he's back playing where he wanted to play--He and Michael Owen will always be my favorite players i think--

Jaimoe

yeah steve nash is awesome. i saw them play the predators this year and we beat them for the first time in a long time i think; if i move back, i'm definitely getting season tix;

Both Nash's are great, basketball's Steve and hockey's Rick. But hey, both are Canadian.

Jaimoe

It's a CONCACAF Canada vs US competition thing more than anything.

Tree

Are you guys in the US/Canada or the rest of the world hearing anything about the German team Hoffenheim?

Jaimoe

I don't really follow the German teams too much. Only when the Champions League starts to roll.

Tree

Well, Hoffenheim is a town with a population of ~3000. It's their first season in the "1. Bundesliga" and they're on the first rank. Sure they get "some" finanacial support by Dietmar Hopp but they're playing a great football and they follow a great concept and they also have success in their youth section.
I heard that they started broadcasting their matches on foreign television. Is that true?  

BH

QuoteWell, Hoffenheim is a town with a population of ~3000. It's their first season in the "1. Bundesliga" and they're on the first rank. Sure they get "some" finanacial support by Dietmar Hopp but they're playing a great football and they follow a great concept and they also have success in their youth section.
I heard that they started broadcasting their matches on foreign television. Is that true?  

Alright, there you go, now I have a team to root for!

I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ruckus

QuoteWell, Hoffenheim is a town with a population of ~3000. It's their first season in the "1. Bundesliga" and they're on the first rank. Sure they get "some" finanacial support by Dietmar Hopp but they're playing a great football and they follow a great concept and they also have success in their youth section.

Alright, there you go, now I have a team to root for!

I haven't seen any of their matches but they are getting pub on soccer channels.  It's a real cool story and hope they hang on for the long haul.  Hell, even Hull City is still in the thick of things in the EPL

Their mascot...none other than

Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

purvis9876

I saw their game against Bayern last week on Fox Soccer Channel. They play quick up front and had chances to win. I didn't realize this was their first year in Bundesliga, though.
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

Jaimoe

Bar none, the worst announcing in pro sports is the MLS crew on ABC.

Does anyone like that stupid Scotsman Tommy Smyth doing colour commentating on ESPN?

mjkoehler

QuoteBar none, the worst announcing in pro sports is the MLS crew on ABC.

Does anyone like that stupid Scotsman Tommy Smyth doing colour commentating on ESPN?
They show soccer on American TV? Seriously, do they?

purvis9876

I CANNOT STAND TOMMY SMYTH!!1!!  >:( Besides his played out phrases(punch one in the ol' onion bag), I sometimes think I need a translator to decipher what he's saying.
Evey: Are you, like, a crazy person?
V: I am quite sure they will say so.

Jaimoe

They show soccer on American TV? Seriously, do they?

ABC shows the odd game. Horrid announcers. I do watch a lot of Toronto FC games, but they are done by the CBC announcers, who are generally really good.

Penny Lane

i didn't feel like putting this in the crush thread---he is the reason i got into saw-ker :-)

Ruckus

Anyone see the Fulham/Chelsea match? WOW!!!

Do the Reds have what it takes to hold on?

Ruckus

Man U. looked dominant against Chelsea.  Don't know if anyone saw the corner that Rooney and Giggs took that was disallowed although it was really a valid trick play.

Beckham looked very mediocre in his debut in AC Milan but I guess that was to be expected.  

Kaka to Man. City?  Ronaldo to Milan?

Hoffenheim still in 1st :D

So many stories, so few fans :-[