Chilean Miners rescue

Started by Paulie_Walnuts, Oct 14, 2010, 06:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulie_Walnuts

The news in the UK has been saturated with the rescue of the miners in recent days. Has it been getting as much air time elsewhere?

It's a great story, and for once a mining accident with a happy ending. However, I can't help but be cynical about the role of the billionaire Chilean President in the rescue, standing at the escape hole ready to greet each miner. There is something obscene about a man with that much wealth that presides over a country with a mining industry that pays it's workers a pittance and puts their lives at such risk. As I understand it the safety record of the mine is not something I'm sure the President will want to shout about.

I reckon it's safe to say that the one good thing to come out of it will be that the rescued miners will be handsomely paid off to remain silent! The aftermath of the rescue should be the most interesting. I'm sure there will be plenty of others linked to the mine, and the rescue, that will want their slice of the pie!

Will the story run? Or will El Presidente use his influence with his wealthy media mates to keep the aftermath hush hush?
Paulie W

capt. scotty

I heard when 1 of the miners was rescued he wasnt sure if his wife or his mistress, or both, was going to be waiting for him
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

QuoteThe news in the UK has been saturated with the rescue of the miners in recent days. Has it been getting as much air time elsewhere?

It's a great story, and for once a mining accident with a happy ending. However, I can't help but be cynical about the role of the billionaire Chilean President in the rescue, standing at the escape hole ready to greet each miner. [highlight]There is something obscene about a man with that much wealth that presides over a country with a mining industry that pays it's workers a pittance and puts their lives at such risk.[/highlight] As I understand it the safety record of the mine is not something I'm sure the President will want to shout about.

I reckon it's safe to say that the one good thing to come out of it will be that the rescued miners will be handsomely paid off to remain silent! The aftermath of the rescue should be the most interesting. I'm sure there will be plenty of others linked to the mine, and the rescue, that will want their slice of the pie!

Will the story run? Or will El Presidente use his influence with his wealthy media mates to keep the aftermath hush hush?

Unlike which country my friend?

All in all, it was refreshing to have a positive story be blasted all over the news, no matter how overplayed or sensationalized.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Paulie_Walnuts

I certainly wasn't saying that only miners in Chile were treated badly. I was just saying that I found the President's appearance at the mine distatsteful.
Paulie W

Paulie_Walnuts

And my spelling has gone to shit cos I'm in a rush......
Paulie W

TheBigChicken

best story of 2010 IMO...aren't ALL "happy endings" GREAT ;).....Pause....waiting for a response from Taterbug ;D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

Coping Saw

Finally a celebration of brown people being rescued
Jelly Mallet beats the Belly Hammer

bowl of soup

I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.