Moving to Nashville-need advice

Started by 1eyed_jack, Aug 16, 2010, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1eyed_jack

Hey all, so in about a month i'm planning on moving to Nashville from the Chicago area.
only problem is i've only been to nashville once and don't remember it that well aside from knowing I liked it.
?
So now that a time for change has come I need to know what I need to know before moving to Nashville, ie...what areas to look for.
I don't have much money and don't have a car so what i'm looking for needs to be within walking or biking distance of downtown where I will be looking for a job.

so...what can you kind folks tell me?

ALady

I only know East Nashville and the area around Vanderbilt, but I think either of those hoods might fit your bill.  Not sure how much you're planning to spend on rent but it's cheaper than Chicago by a mile.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

1eyed_jack

well i was hoping to stay under $600 but closer to $500 haha

it's really an ill-advised move with the money i have and without a job.

i keep telling friends that in a few months i'll either have an address or an intersection they can find me at. apparently i'm the only one that finds that amusing

Tracy 3000

I've lived here for 10 years and know the area pretty well.

East is more affordable than the Vandy area. Some folks like going out West and riding the bus. The more East you go the lower you pay, but you don't want to move in "sight unseen" right? if you find something you can PM me and I'll give you my opinion (for what it's worth)

Jim brings all his love, passion, energy and mystery to the stage and says, "I'm right here."

1eyed_jack

QuoteI've lived here for 10 years and know the area pretty well.

East is more affordable than the Vandy area. Some folks like going out West and riding the bus. The more East you go the lower you pay, but you don't want to move in "sight unseen" right? if you find something you can PM me and I'll give you my opinion (for what it's worth)

that would be fantastic! i'm probably going to start seriously looking in about a week or two so I may send some questions for you then.

thanks a bunch, i really appreciate it!

Paulie_Walnuts

I've no advice, except to say that you are a lucky son of a bitch!
Paulie W

tomEisenbraun

Do you have any retail management experience? Borders on West End Ave is hiring for a cafe manager (mostly barista oversight, placing the order for supplies, beans, food, etc) and also for a books side supervisor. Both of those will pay well enough to put you up on the east side, no sweat. If you don't have experience, you could put in for either barista or book seller work there, too. It's not exactly the most lucrative job, but it's definitely a start and there's money involved.

For what it's worth, I transferred to the store in May, and by the time I left last week, there were about four non-management employees from before I was hired still working there. That's not exactly the quick turnaround management's hoping for, and I would assume is soon to change, but hey, in the meantime, not too hard to pick up a job, there.

If you want to know who to get connected with musically, I can point you in a few directions, too.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

1eyed_jack

so after saving up some more money i'm thinking of going down to nashville for a few days to get a feel for things before i move.

i think i'm coming down next wednesday, so in a week and half and will stay through the weekend.

if anyone would be willing to show me around the city a bit i'd be more than willing to buy some drinks at a bar!

just let me know though here or a PM.

can't wait to get down there!